• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New England Travel Restrictions (other than VT)

MissySki

Angel Diva
Apparently Maine just added CT, NY, and NJ back to the restricted list. MA stays unrestricted for now. I’m shocked, but hope so much we can keep that status. I was starting to prepare to have to get tested constantly until the season really gets going and I spend more time at the condo. They did say they are watching MA’s numbers and will reinstate our restrictions if we don’t improve.. so I’m sure that will happen as I have no faith in people starting to behave with the holidays coming.

Last edited by a moderator:

alr

Certified Ski Diva
I know this thread is for VT, but since other states have come up.. apparently Maine just added CT, NY, and NJ back to the restricted list. MA stays unrestricted for now. I’m shocked, but hope so much we can keep that status. I was starting to prepare to have to get tested constantly until the season really gets going and I spend more time at the condo. They did say they are watching MA’s numbers and will reinstate our restrictions if we don’t improve.. so I’m sure that will happen as I have no faith in people starting to behave with the holidays coming.
I just heard that too. I agree with you, I would not be surprised if ME starts restricting MA residents soon because our numbers and people's behavior don't seem to be getting better.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC - true, and I don't mean to sound heartless. I worry about the small ski area, both because they are often locally owned, and because they are critical feeder programs for the sport. One of the reasons we purchased property where we did in VT is because of proximity to one of those small mountains.

I can only hope that if the small areas do open, their mostly local clientele take the health precautions seriously and adhere to the regulations.
I just bought a "back-up" pass to a smaller ski area in NH because in part my concern about Vt access potentially. From what I see the smaller areas, at least in NH, are getting good attention.

There's another local small area in VT nearby me I was going to get a pass to, but if they do not offer a refund (if we are restricted from skiing there) I am hesitant to bite on that one. (They have no reservations system which makes it attractive to me.) I personally am not concerned about the local people adhering to protocols as that seems like a given, esp in VT, it's the folks coming in that concerns me, meaning the non-adhering travelers, as I know there are also travelers who do follow rules.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, the bumping chairlifts. There's one at Suicide Six that will bruise the back of your knees if both you and the liftie aren't working in perfect time.

Oh I wonder if it is the same lift that when you get off you better clear fast or it will nab you when it turns?! :smile:

alr

Certified Ski Diva
Hi- I just saw this update to Maine travel restrictions for MA - need to take a COVID test at least 72 hours before departure: "Maine: Starting Nov. 16, people traveling from Massachusetts to Maine must either quarantine for 14 days or receive a negative COVID-19 test with a sample taken no longer than 72 hours before their arrival."

NH is still letting MA residents freely enter...

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hi- I just saw this update to Maine travel restrictions for MA - need to take a COVID test at least 72 hours before departure: "Maine: Starting Nov. 16, people traveling from Massachusetts to Maine must either quarantine for 14 days or receive a negative COVID-19 test with a sample taken no longer than 72 hours before their arrival."

NH is still letting MA residents freely enter...

Yes, starts today. This should be pretty easy to comply with for MA folks though. There are lots of testing sites. I haven’t had one yet, so we’ll see how it goes in practice. I plan to do a drive thru one tomorrow since I usually drive up on Fridays. It’ll be my trial run to see how easy it is and how long the results are taking to come back.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, starts today. This should be pretty easy to comply with for MA folks though. There are lots of testing sites. I haven’t had one yet, so we’ll see how it goes in practice. I plan to do a drive thru one tomorrow since I usually drive up on Fridays. It’ll be my trial run to see how easy it is and how long the results are taking to come back.
I have heard the “stop the spread” sites turn the result around quickly. I have been tested once at my town’s (Somerville) free site and I got my result back in 24 hours. So with advance warning/planning it is totally doable.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have heard the “stop the spread” sites turn the result around quickly. I have been tested once at my town’s (Somerville) free site and I got my result back in 24 hours. So with advance warning/planning it is totally doable.

This is great to hear! Yeah, I’m planning on trying one of the stop the spread sites in Marlboro or Framingham. Worcester would be closer for me, but the drive thru one there requires appointments and their phone goes to a full mailbox.. so completely unhelpful.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am fortunate that I work part time, and from home, so I am planning to move to our home near the mountain fairly full time for the winter. Due to travel restrictions, I will test before going up and then hopefully pretty much stay. My husband will need to come and go, so plans to test a couple days before heading up. Best laid plans...we will see how it goes!

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I’m in line to do a trial run of my first test. It’s a drive thru that does not require appointments and is a free test site. I got here 30 minutes ahead of open and there are anywhere between 20-40 cars ahead of me, hard to tell because it looks like there are two lines up front but then we are in various lines across behind them. There are still 5 minutes until opening and there has been a continuous stream of cars coming in, now out to the entrance so the lot I’m in must have filled. I didn’t anticipate this many people and perhaps might try the site that opens at 10am next time instead because it might be a harder time for people who are just coming before work and are not actually sick like me.. I’m glad I did a drive thru though because it would really sketch me out to be in a regular line with this many people wanting a test. I’ll update with how long it takes to get through once it opens.

I left my house a little later than I wanted to, so I originally would’ve arrived 20 minutes earlier. Will need to arrive earlier next time regardless of the site I pick.D2617978-9437-4D8C-993B-9E7FA8E2782C.jpeg

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I’m in line to do a trial run of my first test. It’s a drive thru that does not require appointments and is a free test site. I got here 30 minutes ahead of open and there are anywhere between 20-40 cars ahead of me, hard to tell because it looks like there are two lines up front but then we are in various lines across behind them. There are still 5 minutes until opening and there has been a continuous stream of cars coming in, now out to the entrance so the lot I’m in must have filled. I didn’t anticipate this many people and perhaps might try the site that opens at 10am next time instead because it might be a harder time for people who are just coming before work and are not actually sick like me.. I’m glad I did a drive thru though because it would really sketch me out to be in a regular line with this many people wanting a test. I’ll update with how long it takes to get through once it opens.

I left my house a little later than I wanted to, so I originally would’ve arrived 20 minutes earlier. Will need to arrive earlier next time regardless of the site I pick.

Wow!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I didn’t anticipate this many people
My experience as someone who had a very flexible work schedule and retired relatively early is that the least busy time was mid-morning at DMV offices. Although of course arrive 30-45 min before opening is probably good too. If an office opened at 8:00 or 8:30, the people who went before going to work were done by 10:00 or so. The people who took time to go during lunchtime didn't arrive until after 11:00. That meant 10:00-10:30 was a good time to arrive for a relatively short wait.

Of course, might not apply to COVID-19 test sites, especially free ones. I've seen pictures in my local area of long lines very early in the morning when case numbers are increasing for whatever reason. Free testing is being made available in my county and the neighboring one (Wake and Durham for Raleigh, Durham in NC) until late November. Had been available at some points during the summer, but then ended in early fall.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m still in line waiting for my sample to be taken back from me. They literally have been working out of order with lines that arrived after me leaving first while I’m still here. The staff is arguing amongst themselves, highly highly unorganized. I will not be back to this location.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m still in line waiting for my sample to be taken back from me. They literally have been working out of order with lines that arrived after me leaving first while I’m still here. The staff is arguing amongst themselves, highly highly unorganized. I will not be back to this location.

:( For future reference, I went to the Suffolk Downs site last Saturday and had a scheduled appt. I was done in 5 minutes, results that same night.

MissySki

Angel Diva
:( For future reference, I went to the Suffolk Downs site last Saturday and had a scheduled appt. I was done in 5 minutes, results that same night.

They don't have any appointments available right now until the day after Thanksgiving.. It's also over an hour from my house each way if I didn't hit traffic on the pike. :cry: If I planned right and could be pretty assured of results the same day I could try and do appointments and then do it on my ride up to Maine. Traffic for me to get in can be such a crap shoot though (boy have I loved NOT driving the pike to go to work in Cambridge the past 8 months!), so I'd be nervous about a tight appointment window.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There was a blurb on the channel 5 news (MA) last night about how busy all the testing sites are right now. Many apparently have hours of waiting to get in (drive thru).

Reactions: alr

MissySki

Angel Diva
There was a blurb on the channel 5 news (MA) last night about how busy all the testing sites are right now. Many apparently have hours of waiting to get in (drive thru).

I can definitely confirm that today! lol Probably going to arrive like an hour early at a different site next week and see if that helps. 30 minutes was obviously not enough of a lead time. If I can't get an appointment somewhere I'll likely try the 10am start site in Framingham that's drive thru and report back if it's any better.

MissySki

Angel Diva
https://www.newscentermaine.com/amp...areas/97-7383ec0d-27fa-4d7e-82f8-8ce37480fb85

Maine released their guidelines for indoor activities at Ski Resorts today. I guess they just adopted the outdoor guidance from NSAA so it isn’t included separately. Nothing surprising, I take this as a sort of “green light” to move forward when resorts are able. Somewhat of a relief as I was getting worried that they hadn’t said anything about it publicly yet. Still hearing the potential is for Sunday River to open sometime between this Friday and Monday.. Computers are still down, but their social media came back from a monthlong hiatus today. We’ll see what happens! :bounce:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965