• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure if any newer studies have come out, but back in April or so I read that blue shop towels are good for filters. And you certainly could get quite a few filters out of a single roll.

I probably even have those somewhere in my boat work collection of way too much crap!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! I just noticed they have sizing info on the site and compared it to my helmet (Giro Era - Size Med) so now I'm thinking maybe I should go adult rather than junior. Although, my helmet is dialed in about as far as it goes so I'm guessing I'm closer to 55.5 than 59.

Measure your head as they advise for the masks. That way you are likely to be somewhere in the correct range for you.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Measure your head as they advise for the masks. That way you are likely to be somewhere in the correct range for you.

My concern isn't so much just the strap but also the size of the face covering. I can't wear the adult paper masks b/c they're too large on my face so I'm leaning junior. Head circumference-wise I'm basically a 55.5; I just measured. But since neither strap really goes around that part of the head, I'm not sure how meaningful that is? Either way, that measurement puts me at the very top of the junior mask range or towards the bottom of the women's range.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Either way, that measurement puts me at the very top of the junior mask range or towards the bottom of the women's range.
So far, the Adult Small sized masks that I've bought have fit fine. I've been experimenting with different relatively inexpensive cloth designs for everyday use. Mostly looking on Etsy. Once I have that figured out, I'll consider what to wear when around a ski lodge or loading/riding lifts.

The goal is to have some protection but more importantly to be part of a community that is decreasing the risk of transmission by someone who is infected but doesn't even know it because it's too early in the incubation period or their symptoms are too mild to be noticeable enough to warrant the effort of getting tested. I don't think a fitted medical grade N95 mask is practical for any outdoor activity.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have the Buff mask? Not the tube that's like a neck gaiter? I was looking at just the mask in the junior size. I really don't want a full neck covering thing if I can avoid it. I often don't ski with a neck gaiter pulled up so I don't want to be restricted to that, especially on milder days. I've been using kid sized disposable paper masks, but that got really soggy skiing at Big Snow last month, so I need to find something else before ski season.
Gah, this is something I hadn't thought of. I was thinking I'd just use a balaclava all winter, but that allows way too much air out (and in.) A gator and balaclava is way too much, especially in Utah where it's generally not frigid.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gah, this is something I hadn't thought of. I was thinking I'd just use a balaclava all winter, but that allows way too much air out (and in.) A gator and balaclava is way too much, especially in Utah where it's generally not frigid.

You might like the Buff tube with a filter. I posted a picture somewhere or another around here.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might like the Buff tube with a filter. I posted a picture somewhere or another around here.
Yes, I saw those. I'd have to spend upwards of $100 to get one for the family. I might not have a choice though.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in regards to state-to-state travel. Utah is doing horribly in regards to COVID. Highest case count and highest positive testing percentage yesterday. ICU's are full. State epidemiologist was in tears during press conference yesterday. Idaho is even worse. With that in mind, a mask with filtration seems to be a smart idea.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone tried all these mask combinations on with a helmet and goggles for more than 30 seconds? I did have the Oslo face mask shirt on with goggles for longer than that. Considering how hard it was to blow out a match it might be OK, enough. But otherwise? All the gear we would wear adds a few more elements of fun and frolic to this whole program!
I can't remember if Bioskin masks have been mentioned yet?
https://bioskin.com/printed-ear-loop-face-masks.html
I have skied in the earloop style one twice at indoor ski slope (Big Snow in NJ) and liked it a lot, it wasn't getting soggy that much after 2 hours of skiing in the inddoor refrigerated slope. It worked well with goggles and helmet. My goggles fogged up a little, but since I have Abom goggles with built in defogging that wasn't an issue. I tried the Buff mask with straps around the head with filter and I found that filter was bunching up inside of the mask when I put goggles on and took them off, so I don't think I want to do mask with filter for skiing. Buff mask with filter was great for other physical activities though, I liker how secure it was on my face and head and fairly breathable.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the one strap bio skin to try. It is comfy, but I think I’ll be keeping it for dog walks and other times when I just need to pull it up briefly. The metal nose piece just sticks on, I’m afraid that won’t last long even with hand washing. The contour and close fit is good even with just the one strap, but the close fit needed because of the one strap also causes more fogging for me. Maybe it would be better with contacts and goggles. And the fabric is a little much for warm weather.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I got the one strap bio skin to try. It is comfy, but I think I’ll be keeping it for dog walks and other times when I just need to pull it up briefly. The metal nose piece just sticks on, I’m afraid that won’t last long even with hand washing. The contour and close fit is good even with just the one strap, but the close fit needed because of the one strap also causes more fogging for me. Maybe it would be better with contacts and goggles. And the fabric is a little much for warm weather.
That’s interesting that the contour is good with the one strap - does it make it easy to lift and take a drink from a water bottle, for example. We got the ear loops style and the nosepiece is inside, not stuck on. I've been wearing it for yoga and at the food bank, when I’m doing lifting and walking and it hasn’t been bad for that, but I’m also not wearing my glasses then. It's the one I’m planning to start with for skiing, I think.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are the ear loop ones a single layer fabric or double? The fabric for the one strap is only single layer, but a thick poly knit with a peached side against the face. Between the contour and the stretchy fabric, I don't see any gaps around the outside, in fact most of the mask is in contact with my face, which in part is why I can't see wearing it long term inside. And the nose piece is stuck on the outside, which doesn't look as nice. I would prefer a little pocket on the inside to slide it into. But as advertised, it doesn't slide down when talking.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are the ear loop ones a single layer fabric or double? The fabric for the one strap is only single layer, but a thick poly knit with a peached side against the face. Between the contour and the stretchy fabric, I don't see any gaps around the outside, in fact most of the mask is in contact with my face, which in part is why I can't see wearing it long term inside. And the nose piece is stuck on the outside, which doesn't look as nice. I would prefer a little pocket on the inside to slide it into. But as advertised, it doesn't slide down when talking.
The earloop ones I have are single layer, but yes very thick, dense fabric, same as the single strap style masks. They do have earloop ones that are double layer with a filter pocket, those only come in black color. The metal nose piece is inside of the mask for the earloop style one, so no worries about it detaching.

I ordered and tried the single strap ones and I don't think I would like them for skiing, maybe wearing indoors to work or something. I like that you can pull them on and off easily. I have to go to the office/lab about once or twice a month to train/mentor the junior scientists and we have to wear a disposable mask in the lab and change to a different mask to wear in the office area. @Jenny yes, the one strap lifts easily so you can take a sip of water quickly and you can also pull it down if you are outdoors with no one around.

I stuck the adhesive metal nose piece on the one-strap style and washed it and it stayed on, but I am not sure it would survive multiple washes, it seemed a bit flimsy of an attachment like you said @diymom

Last edited:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That’s interesting that the contour is good with the one strap - does it make it easy to lift and take a drink from a water bottle, for example. We got the ear loops style and the nosepiece is inside, not stuck on. I've been wearing it for yoga and at the food bank, when I’m doing lifting and walking and it hasn’t been bad for that, but I’m also not wearing my glasses then. It's the one I’m planning to start with for skiing, I think.
I wore the single strap one to work today - I really liked it for work! Yes I like how easy it is to lift it to drink some water. It was also very comfy to have it on in the office for 5 hours. The ease of lifting it off to drink some water was great.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I wore the single strap one to work today - I really liked it for work! Yes I like how easy it is to lift it to drink some water. It was also very comfy to have it on in the office for 5 hours. The ease of lifting it off to drink some water was great.

What is this design exactly? It stays close to your face still, but you can move it easily as well?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna