• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the Buff with the filter in small. My issue for winter is how thin it is. And the filters are one time use. That I can replace with one from other masks. It will not keep my face warm. The Face Saver mask that a number of us have been using definitely would keep the face itself warmer. But of course it does not cover the nose opening or the mouth at all. Some New England days are just so brutally cold and wet. But this will be a year of experiments and adjustments!

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got the Buff with the filter in small. My issue for winter is how thin it is. And the filters are one time use. That I can replace with one from other masks. It will not keep my face warm. The Face Saver mask that a number of us have been using definitely would keep the face itself warmer. But of course it does not cover the nose opening or the mouth at all. Some New England days are just so brutally cold and wet. But this will be a year of experiments and adjustments!

I wonder if instead of the disposable filters you could make a flannel filter you just washed. Early on I read studies that flannel was a good filter material so I made masks with two layers of cotton and flannel in the middle.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband’s work is still short on masks so they are asking everyone to reuse, at least for the day. What he has been doing is adding a piece of gauze to the inside of the mask to absorb moisture from breathing, and change that out frequently during the day. As long as you keep the mask dry, it can be reused. Kinda irks me when doctors and nurses are not getting N95 at work and yet so many regular joes are wearing n95 to the groceries, etc.
So my plan is to wear a double layer cloth mask and use a ASTM 2/3 mask as filter, then add on my usual neoprene face gaitor and just keep it on the whole time, and I will not be removing my goggles until I am done for the day. I tested this out with 9 holes of golf (not the same activity level but at least time-wise it was about 2hours) and it was fine.

MissySki

Angel Diva

Does it fit nice and snugly and stay up?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am going to hold off judgment until I take it out for a run or something.

Yeah, that is the real test! It looks more snug than any I've tried that slip right down my face though, so that's encouraging. I was thinking you could always just add a warmer layer over that like a larger fleece neck warmer around it to pull up for the warmth portion?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, that is the real test! It looks more snug than any I've tried that slip right down my face though, so that's encouraging. I was thinking you could always just add a warmer layer over that like a larger fleece neck warmer around it to pull up for the warmth portion?

That is an option and a likely solution. Also the buff I am wearing is a small as I have a small face. The medium one might be a good choice as well. I will have to see!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to think these were crazy, pulling something up over your face that you were going to breathe through? How times change! Of course Under Armour does not have any women’s ones! But it’s a thought for something to add in at least for riding the chair. I’d have a helmet liner anyway. Ah, the search for adequate solutions for 2020 and 2021 ....... https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p...dgear-infrared-balaclava/1283116.html?start=0

FWIW, while this doesn't have a filter, I have this one-size-fits-all mask and it fits me fine. I bought it a few years back on a super cold trip up at Stowe. Love it! Works great on really cold days.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW, while this doesn't have a filter, I have this one-size-fits-all mask and it fits me fine. I bought it a few years back on a super cold trip up at Stowe. Love it! Works great on really cold days.

it says in the listing that there are perforations in front of the mouth, which I just now noticed. That’s more than just not having a filter. Too bad as it looks comfy.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
it says in the listing that there are perforations in front of the mouth, which I just now noticed. That’s more than just not having a filter. Too bad as it looks comfy.

Oh really? They must have changed it. Mine is solid fabric.

Christy

Angel Diva
Does it fit nice and snugly and stay up?

I wore mine grocery shopping and it did slip a bit. I bought the m/l as the other size is meant for kids, I thought. Maybe the smaller size would have been better. But, it's fine for hiking, where I pull it up and down, and I think it will be fine going into restrooms, on the lift, etc at a ski area.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm really up in the air on what to do about masks and skiing. I wear a thin Smartwool neck gator all the time that I can pull up over my nose, but when I do, my goggles fog, no matter which goggles I'm wearing. I don't like having anything above my chin while I'm actually skiing, unless it's below 10 degrees. I'm honestly debating trying to get my hands on as many KN95s as I can, and just pull them up on the lift/gondola/in the lodge for pee breaks, and then down under my chin the rest of the time.

This is definitely uncharted territory. I do ski a lot, and will be starting the season over Thanksgiving provided Targhee has enough snow to open. I'll report back what I find is working for me, because I'll probably have something sorted out pretty quickly. I'm definitely grateful my daughter is old enough to take care of her own masking, too.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like them both.

The Buff is my favorite for working out . It stays put thanks to the two straps and is very light. The downside is those same two straps can twist making putting the mask on momentarily challenging. It also lays close on the face. Because of this, I'm not certain I want to wear it under my helmet and under my neck gaiter (which is a lightweight Buff).

The OR is much thicker. I feel there's more room between my face and the mask. I would probably wear this one skiing if forced to have something under my regular Buff.

Both take filters.

You have the Buff mask? Not the tube that's like a neck gaiter? I was looking at just the mask in the junior size. I really don't want a full neck covering thing if I can avoid it. I often don't ski with a neck gaiter pulled up so I don't want to be restricted to that, especially on milder days. I've been using kid sized disposable paper masks, but that got really soggy skiing at Big Snow last month, so I need to find something else before ski season.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder if instead of the disposable filters you could make a flannel filter you just washed. Early on I read studies that flannel was a good filter material so I made masks with two layers of cotton and flannel in the middle.

I'm not sure if any newer studies have come out, but back in April or so I read that blue shop towels are good for filters. And you certainly could get quite a few filters out of a single roll.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't stand having anything over my mouth and nose when I'm actually skiing. Only on the really extreme cold/sub zero days that I've skied have I actually skied with anything over my mouth/nose. My goggles fog with anything over both nose and mouth. My plan was to make sure my hands are super clean/sanitized when I put my gloves on and use my turtle fur totally tubular stretchy gaiter. Clean hands will be key for my plan since I plan to pull it down for skiing and up again for lines/lift riding etc. I will take one glove off and use the ungloved hand to pull the gaiter/mask up and down and then carefully reinsert said hand back into glove without touching the exterior of the glove.
Sounds like a big pain in the neck, but I don't really plan to ski all that much so maybe it will be okay.

Jilly

Staff member
I don't like anything over my mouth either. Usually I wear a windbreaker buff and the face saver. So this is all going to be new.

Our dragon boat club had mask made with the logo etc. This same company is now making a "sport" mask. There are ear loops and a longer piece in front. If anything I have now, doesn't cut it, I might try one of theirs.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I wore mine grocery shopping and it did slip a bit. I bought the m/l as the other size is meant for kids, I thought. Maybe the smaller size would have been better. But, it's fine for hiking, where I pull it up and down, and I think it will be fine going into restrooms, on the lift, etc at a ski area.

Mine just arrived today. I haven't worn it out yet, but I tried it on (size small), and it seemed fine. I think a medium would've been too big for me.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have the Buff mask? Not the tube that's like a neck gaiter? I was looking at just the mask in the junior size. I really don't want a full neck covering thing if I can avoid it. I often don't ski with a neck gaiter pulled up so I don't want to be restricted to that, especially on milder days. I've been using kid sized disposable paper masks, but that got really soggy skiing at Big Snow last month, so I need to find something else before ski season.

Correct. Not only do I own many regular buffs, but I added the new Buff mask with filter pocket this summer because I'm required to wear a mask in the gym. The Buff mask has two adjustable straps. I own the adult size and had to adjust to make it smaller. Buff Mask

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Correct. Not only do I own many regular buffs, but I added the new Buff mask with filter pocket this summer because I'm required to wear a mask in the gym. The Buff mask has two adjustable straps. I own the adult size and had to adjust to make it smaller. Buff Mask

Thanks! I just noticed they have sizing info on the site and compared it to my helmet (Giro Era - Size Med) so now I'm thinking maybe I should go adult rather than junior. Although, my helmet is dialed in about as far as it goes so I'm guessing I'm closer to 55.5 than 59.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
So my plan is to wear a double layer cloth mask and use a ASTM 2/3 mask as filter, then add on my usual neoprene face gaitor and just keep it on the whole time...
This is an interesting idea. I had been thinking about just wearing a face mask over my neoprene balaclava/face mask, but hadn't thought about wearing it underneath. I think I like that idea.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna