• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

kiki

Angel Diva
Well, I know we all love to shop!
With Vails announcement of requiring skiiers to wear masks, I’m thinking some of us have a new gear item to purchase.
For myself, i don’t think my regular baclava will suffice.
Have you guys started thinking about this, seen anything online you think would work well?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, I know we all love to shop!
With Vails announcement of requiring skiiers to wear masks, I’m thinking some of us have a new gear item to purchase.
For myself, i don’t think my regular baclava will suffice.
Have you guys started thinking about this, seen anything online you think would work well?

On Wildcat’s Facebook page (which is owned by Vail now) they confirmed yesterday that neck warmers, buffs, etc. counts as a face covering for their mountain after someone asked. So a specific type of mask doesn’t seem to be required on top of that so far.

Last edited:

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I haven't thought about it too much yet. I wore a buff all last year for sun protection, so I'm kinda waiting to see where the science lands on whether those are sufficient. They also do double-duty for managing my hair at night.

I'm hoping that if a knit synthetic buff isn't going to do it, someone comes out with some product that does filtration and sun protection in a single layer. A regular mask won't protect my neck, so I'd have to layer it under a buff for my purposes.

Jilly

Staff member
A balaclava with a hole for your mouth and nose, is not going to work, correct. Buff's doubled over should.

Or you can get one the "Ski Diva" ones from here.

Kiki - I've seen some already from the local sport stores with their name/logo on them. So they will be out soon. (Kunstadt's in Ottawa have theirs out already. And it a new one that is anti-fogging.)

Christy

Angel Diva
Are they requiring it for actual skiing, or for lift lines and other places where you are near people?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I figured my ski diva mask would be my go to for under my neck gaiter and in the lodge. I’ll likely put a strap on it so it can just hang around my neck and be easily available if I only need to pull it up inside.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Are they requiring it for actual skiing, or for lift lines and other places where you are near people?
Here's what is on the Epic website about face coverings.

Note that "related" in terms of people riding a lift together does not mean "family" in the usual sense. So if two ski buddies ride up together for a day trip, they can sit next to each other on the lift if they like.

I've read somewhere that Alterra has a document that's just over 100 pages with guidelines for their resorts related to how to run the operations this season. Undoubtedly there will be updates as more is learned in the coming months.

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 10.46.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-29 at 10.48.36 AM.png

Jilly

Staff member
We were talking about this on the Zoom call Friday night. We even had a "fashion show" of masks. I'm planning on my Ski Diva mask and more than likely some of my buffs or my tube with the windbreaker in it. Made by Buff and as usual, because I like it, discontinued.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Speaking of our fashion show - I tried on a new mask design today that seemed VERY promising in the “won’t fog up your glasses” department. Headed over to Etsy to look for them now.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Speaking of our fashion show - I tried on a new mask design today that seemed VERY promising in the “won’t fog up your glasses” department. Headed over to Etsy to look for them now.

that has got to be the Holy Grail of facemasks! Clear glasses and goggles!

Tvan

Angel Diva
I figured my ski diva mask would be my go to for under my neck gaiter and in the lodge. I’ll likely put a strap on it so it can just hang around my neck and be easily available if I only need to pull it up inside.
I saw someone on Instagram who put her kids masks on lanyards so that they always have them around their necks and can put the ear elastics on quickly when needed. Thought it was brilliant. We keep losing masks in the pockets of things and then finding them in random places after they go through the wash.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I saw someone on Instagram who put her kids masks on lanyards so that they always have them around their necks and can put the ear elastics on quickly when needed. Thought it was brilliant. We keep losing masks in the pockets of things and then finding them in random places after they go through the wash.

I’ve seen some people talk about doing this for skiing too. Just make sure it’s a tear away lanyard if ya do! A regular one could be dangerous on lifts, and/or if you ski in trees etc. and were to get caught on something.

Jilly

Staff member
I know a young mother that is making lanyards for kids for school. That way they don't lose their's. And don't share their's either....

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know a young mother that is making lanyards for kids for school. That way they don't lose their's. And don't share their's either....

There are some memes going around of kids trading masks and coming home with a different one than they left the house with in the morning. Hopefully that won't happen in real life.. :bounce:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965