• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’ve seen some people talk about doing this for skiing too. Just make sure it’s a tear away lanyard if ya do! A regular one could be dangerous on lifts, and/or if you ski in trees etc. and were to get caught on something.
I use a bright piece of yarn for mine!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will likely have an N95 type mask for gondola riding and a regular neck gaiter/buff for open air lifts. It will be interesting when they get frozen and nasty.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
N95 masks can only be used once, right?
I would give a non binding answer that they should only be used once. As a mask a buff probably should be washed daily of not more frequently. I reuse my masks as I own few and am not in a hospital setting where I never reused mine.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
When I wear a neck gaiter (guess most call it a "buff"), my nose runs and tight against the mouth it is always wet. And, I wear merino wool..... so can imagine how soggy a mask will get under the "buff."

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I wear a neck gaiter (guess most call it a "buff"), my nose runs and tight against the mouth it is always wet. And, I wear merino wool..... so can imagine how soggy a mask will get under the "buff."
I would only use it inside gondolas and bathrooms. Would be a pain to get on and off under helmet behind ears.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
N95 masks can only be used once, right?

I use mine over and over. I hope that isn't any worse than using a homemade cloth one over and over. I toss them when they get yukky. But then I don't leave the house very often, don't shop in any stores, don't go to parties, so I don't wear mine very often.

What I've read technically is that an N95 mask will not get clogged until after 8 hours of use, and that means it's been used in an environment where stuff gets embedded in it. Not all environments are going to clog it. I envision they are talking about microscopic cloggy stuff, but don't know really.

Jilly

Staff member
The problem with the disposal masks is the inside. The germs you are breathing out. I only use the paper ones at the office and we don't have to wear them unless someone comes in to the counter. So I change them out every other day usually. Depends on how many people I've been waiting on. I have fabric ones that I wear and wash right away. That's for the gym, hair dresser, shopping, Chiro and Masseuse.

I have only 1 N95 and that will be used only when I'm going to be in a really crowded area. And since we're only allowed 100 people gathering outside, or 50 inside with social distancing, that's not going to happen any time soon.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually emailed Turtle Fur telling them I wanted them to make balaclavas with filter pockets. I'm hoping they develop something like that if they hear from enough people. As it is, I bought two of their masks. But ear loops and helmets are going to be a pain to deal with.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same. I keep a bunch of generic fabric masks on a hook by the door. Grab one on my way out, goes into the laundry hamper as soon as I'm back inside.

I keep a bunch in the car so I don't just walk by them! Wear and drop in the wash on my way out of the garage.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually emailed Turtle Fur telling them I wanted them to make balaclavas with filter pockets. I'm hoping they develop something like that if they hear from enough people. As it is, I bought two of their masks. But ear loops and helmets are going to be a pain to deal with.
Oh. The helmet. How is that going to work with masks and neck gaiters? Hadn't thought of that.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I always wear a neck gaiter, my helmet has never been a problem. The mask would be annoying to get around your ears, unless you aren't going to take it off when actually skiing and just leave it in place once it's on in the morning. This is why I am hoping to be able to just use a neck piece that I can pull up and down over my face, I don't feel like exertion with a mask will be fun.. Of course I'll do whatever is required/go with the latest advice when the time comes whether it's comfortable or not.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On cold days in the past, I have typically used a Turtle Fur Totally Tubular neck gaiter which is fairly thin and made of a lycra like material. I put it on my head under my helmet and can pull it up and down over my nose/mouth easily. The question is whether it will be considered too thin. If the ski areas want people wearing a certain thing/thickness etc, it seems to me it will be up to them to specify what they want. If no specifications as to thickness etc are made, I will plan to wear that Turtle Fur item as usual. Hopefully I won't be skiing when it's crowded anyway and will have the chair to myself and little to no lines--but who knows if weekdays will now be busier since some of us are still at home.

MissySki

Angel Diva
On cold days in the past, I have typically used a Turtle Fur Totally Tubular neck gaiter which is fairly thin and made of a lycra like material. I put it on my head under my helmet and can pull it up and down over my nose/mouth easily. The question is whether it will be considered too thin. If the ski areas want people wearing a certain thing/thickness etc, it seems to me it will be up to them to specify what they want. If no specifications as to thickness etc are made, I will plan to wear that Turtle Fur item as usual. Hopefully I won't be skiing when it's crowded anyway and will have the chair to myself and little to no lines--but who knows if weekdays will now be busier since some of us are still at home.

I was looking at something like that on the Turtle Fur site yesterday actually. Do you feel those have a tight enough fabric weave? I most often wear just a regular Turtle Fur fleece neck warmer, which I love, but fleece isn't good to use in this case, and it's also not tight to my face so I definitely need another option..

I'm kind of doubting they are going to be super specific on what we can use to be honest.. especially at resorts with RFID where they are specifically trying to minimize contact. It doesn't seem practical to police/inspect the fabric people are using, so I think it'll be up to us to be smart about it and they'll more just enforce that your face is covered with something.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you feel those have a tight enough fabric weave?
I seem to recall that the weave is relatively tight--I think the newer one I got last year is a tiny bit thicker than the other one I've had for a few years. They are put away right now or I'd go check them out. There may be a way to double it up on the part that goes over your nose/mouth too. I haven't done that since the need hasn't been there but may experiment this season.
The inner part is lined with what I'd call a "peach fuzz" kind of material. It's not a thick fleece liner but it does have a soft lining (vey thin--less than 1mm thickness to the peach fuzz). Not sure how that falls into the whole fleece controversy.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I seem to recall that the weave is relatively tight--I think the newer one I got last year is a tiny bit thicker than the other one I've had for a few years. They are put away right now or I'd go check them out. There may be a way to double it up on the part that goes over your nose/mouth too. I haven't done that since the need hasn't been there but may experiment this season.

I think I'll order one to check out, might as well! Winter is coming! :smile:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before I had the Turtle Fur one, I had a thin wool Buff that I used in the same manner except I found the Buff got really nasty/wet and the Turtle Fur seems a bit better in that regard.
Of course they say wet masks don't work, but I think everyone will be in the same boat as far as wet masks are concerned no matter what one uses--if you breath out warm air into material over your nose/mouth in cold weather, you get condensate, so I think in that respect anything you wear will eventually get wet.

Jilly

Staff member
I picked up some extenders earlier this week. One reason being my Ski Diva mask is too big. I thought that these might help and it wouldn't be on my ears. I still need to make a pleat in the SD mask to make it tight.

I was planning on wearing my windstopper Buff tube I have. It's thick! I have lots of the thinner buffs as they were a give away by the ski companies, CSIA, Tim Horton's over the years. So I have lots of those. But they really should be doubled over I think.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna