• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is this design exactly? It stays close to your face still, but you can move it easily as well?
It's the tie behind style:
https://bioskin.com/adjustable-tie-masks.html
Yes, it stay close to you face it's cut to contour one's face, but easy to lift it to drink water or pull it down when you are outside with no people. The fabric doesn't get soggy and is comfy indoors in the office. The mask fir me better after I washed it - I wash all new masks before wearing them.

I didn't like that tie-behind style with a helmet though it just fit strangely in my face with a helmet on, so I will not be using the tie-behind ones for skiing, only for office or grocery store. Though I think @vanhoskier liked skiing in the tie-behind style bioskin mask.

For skiing I liked Bioskin earloop style ones. That's what I wore to Big Snow when we skied together.
https://bioskin.com/printed-ear-loop-face-masks.html

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Has anyone tried out ear loops under the helmet for hours? I feel like the helmet compression will exacerbate the feeling of the loops over the ears. I was hoping to have a mask in my pocket for the lodge if I ever need to go in, but to primarily use neck tubes (I have loads) pulled up over my hair in the back and angled down and folded in the front to cover mouth and nose. That could easily be pulled down under the mouth for breathing breaks when solo. I am going to experiment this weekend with my helmet and goggles, to figure things out. With my collection I can wear 2-3/day and have plenty for days on end....perhaps my Skida addiction is finally paying off, lol?!

The Bioskin masks look fairly thick, so I guess if you have to wear a mask full time that would keep the face fairly warm if you have a neck tube to also pull up as needed.

Fogging is another huge issue. I never wear my glasses when I leave the house these days since they fog so with masks. UGH.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, same for me. I skied 2 hours on 2 different occasions with earloop mask under the helmet and it was all good, it didn't bother my ears. There is a bunch of tie behind or masks with straps styles or the gaiter with filter styles if you are worried about the earloops under the helmet.

Yeah Bioskin mask is thick, dense fabric and it has soft fleece-like surface on the side that ouches your face. They are on the warmer side as far as masks go, but I wore one indoors for 3-4 hours at work and it felt fine, I wasn't sweating under the mask or anything.

I don't know what to do about the fogging of goggles with the mask to be honest. My goggles would always fog up when I skied with a facemask or a gaiter over my face pre-COVID, when it was cold. My solution for this season was to buy Abom goggles that have defogging feature via electric film built in, they worked great at the indoor ski slope at Big Snow. The issue is they are definitely not cheap and I got them at 40% off summer sale and also you have to charge them every time before using the goggles. I think @sibhusky has them too, she can comment more about the defogging part, I haven't used mine that much yet, other then at Big Snow for 2 hours.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My problem with the Aboms is the battery doesn't last all day. I haven't actually had it run out, but I start getting the warning light before 1PM. Then, since they fog faster than normal goggles, I'm obsessing about getting back to the lodge. I don't know if we are just more humid here or what. I've tried both settings, same result. So I'm constantly turning them on and off.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After skiing for an hour in cold temps today in Colorado using my fleece Turtle Fur as my mask, it got pretty uncomfortable. I love my Turtle Fur most of the time, but I think that's because it's mostly protecting me from cold and snow coming from the outside; in non-covid times, I'd just move it down when it got too warm or wet without thinking much of it.

I think my ideal combo for this season would be a light-weight, moisture-wicking buff with a nose grip that I could wear under the Turtle Fur. I could pull up the fleece as an extra layer when cold, but really need that moisture wicking the rest of the time.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Has anyone tried out ear loops under the helmet for hours?
My ears start hurting from earloops after about 10 min, so I decided to try these out (see picture). They are awesome! I can't feel anything around my ears or on the back of my head. There are many different variations on Amazon -- I just decided to try the cheapest ones to see how they worked -- WINNER!Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 8.08.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-11 at 8.16.43 PM.png

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied today wearing a mask from Rothy's (https://rothys.com/masks/products/the-mask) and it was a big improvement over a buff or my Turtle Fur. For activities in the cold, I highly recommend options that create some space between your mouth and the mask (while being secure around the edges). That way, if the mask gets wet from your breathing, at least it's not on your face getting cold. This is my go-to now.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I skied today wearing a mask from Rothy's (https://rothys.com/masks/products/the-mask) and it was a big improvement over a buff or my Turtle Fur. For activities in the cold, I highly recommend options that create some space between your mouth and the mask (while being secure around the edges). That way, if the mask gets wet from your breathing, at least it's not on your face getting cold. This is my go-to now.

I might have to take a look at these! I have a couple pairs of their flats and love them...

kiki

Angel Diva
Yep, same for me. I skied 2 hours on 2 different occasions with earloop mask under the helmet and it was all good, it didn't bother my ears. There is a bunch of tie behind or masks with straps styles or the gaiter with filter styles if you are worried about the earloops under the helmet.

Yeah Bioskin mask is thick, dense fabric and it has soft fleece-like surface on the side that ouches your face. They are on the warmer side as far as masks go, but I wore one indoors for 3-4 hours at work and it felt fine, I wasn't sweating under the mask or anything.

I don't know what to do about the fogging of goggles with the mask to be honest. My goggles would always fog up when I skied with a facemask or a gaiter over my face pre-COVID, when it was cold. My solution for this season was to buy Abom goggles that have defogging feature via electric film built in, they worked great at the indoor ski slope at Big Snow. The issue is they are definitely not cheap and I got them at 40% off summer sale and also you have to charge them every time before using the goggles. I think @sibhusky has them too, she can comment more about the defogging part, I haven't used mine that much yet, other then at Big Snow for 2 hours.
I have the Abom goggles too as I sweat a lot and they are great but pricy. Also the battery I find does not last a full day (at least in the damp PNW). But still the best one I tried, in fact the only one that worked for me.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
My Abom goggles died last winter. I tried to find a replacement heating module without success. I guess it's past time to try again.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I got Buff tube with a filter too, because it's nice to have options. :smile: I am still curious whether filter will bunch up inside the tube, like it did in a mask, I will find out soon enough. Ski season is coming hopefully.:goodluck:

I went out for a walk yesterday with the filter in. For full disclosure I cut another filter so as not to use the ones that came with the bath. I thought it was bunching up a bit. It was also breathing up into my sunglasses. I will try it with goggles another time.

I also tried it for a while with a silicone bracket inside. That had the advantage of not having wet material against my face. The downside was how much my nose runs! It was definitely noticeable to me. And it always lands somewhere in the mask.

All still a work in progress.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I might have to take a look at these! I have a couple pairs of their flats and love them...

I really recommend them. One of the things I like is that they cover my whole chin, so it feels really secure. I still wore my Turtle Fur around my neck and could pull it up over the mask if I got cold, but the mask alone did a good job of blocking the wind (and it was cold out! 15-20*F). The only negative was that once I was done skiing, the mask did hold the wet/cold for a while, so I might bring a second mask if you have to, say, go grocery shopping after skiing and want to be a bit more cozy.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
One of my favorite nature photographers sells his art on the "Fine Art America" website. Tomorrow, Nov. 17, the site is selling all face masks and t-shirts at 50% off.

After reviewing some of the masks being sold on Etsy, the cost of these masks (they will cost $7.50 tomorrow!) is refreshing if that's what you're looking for. They sell a flat and a pleated style.

https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/adam-jewell

Of course, ALL facemasks and t-shirts by ALL artists are on sale.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@kiki @skibum4ever what color lenses do you have on the Abom?
I am one of the people who has Abom goggles. I have bought it with flash green lens and also a spare lumen yellow. I used yellow lens when skiing at indoor ski slope at Big Snow this fall, so indoor lighting and it worked well. The flash green should work for sunnny and partially sunny days. They have VLT% - visible light transmission % for every lens they sell on Abom web-site. If you need additional reviews and information PM me for links. I researched it pretty extensively, the scientist that I am likes to research and analyze stuff before buying. :smile:

Note that they have 2 different models, the HEET model is smaller, has more advanced heating system and has Asian fit for those with smaller faces. The One model which is what I got is larger and doesn't have Asian fit option. The nice part is that you can choose your additional lens for low light, they have variety of options. They had a big sale in August for One model and a spare lens was like 40% off so I bought Abome One in green lens with a spare yellow lens for low light.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna