• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Note that they have 2 different models, the HEET model is smaller, has more advanced heating system and has Asian fit for those with smaller faces. The One model which is what I got is larger and doesn't have Asian fit option. The nice part is that you can choose your additional lens for low light, they have variety of options. They had a big sale in August for One model and a spare lens was like 40% off so I bought Abom One in green lens with a spare yellow lens for low light.
I saw that the One model is ~$129 on Amazon, but the HEET model is $225-291. Do you ever see that model on sale? (I have a very small face). Also, are you familiar with Ignite goggles? They seem to be the only other heated goggles out there.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw that the One model is ~$129 on Amazon, but the HEET model is $225-291. Do you ever see that model on sale? (I have a very small face). Also, are you familiar with Ignite goggles? They seem to be the only other heated goggles out there.
No, I have not heard about the Ignite goggles. I have not seen HEET model Abom goggles on sale. Yes they are super pricey. :(

Christy

Angel Diva
I am one of the people who has Abom goggles. I have bought it with flash green lens and also a spare lumen yellow. I used yellow lens when skiing at indoor ski slope at Big Snow this fall, so indoor lighting and it worked well. The flash green should work for sunnny and partially sunny days. They have VLT% - visible light transmission % for every lens they sell on Abom web-site. If you need additional reviews and information PM me for links. I researched it pretty extensively, the scientist that I am likes to research and analyze stuff before buying. :smile:

Note that they have 2 different models, the HEET model is smaller, has more advanced heating system and has Asian fit for those with smaller faces. The One model which is what I got is larger and doesn't have Asian fit option. The nice part is that you can choose your additional lens for low light, they have variety of options. They had a big sale in August for One model and a spare lens was like 40% off so I bought Abome One in green lens with a spare yellow lens for low light.

I'd be looking for one for overcast/snowy days. Yellow?

I guess they're actually 509 Kingpin brand, on Amazon.

Amazon is a minefield of crappy knock off/ ripped off products. Unless you know the brand, I'd skip it.

Jilly

Staff member
I got 2 masks in the mail today. They have the CSIA logo on them and are made by Civil in Vietnam. Feels very comfy. So they have been washed and hope they dry quick so I can try them around town, before skiing.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd be looking for one for overcast/snowy days. Yellow?

I think that would make the most sense. I would say either yellow or clear? They have both. I remember reading somewhere that yellow is best for low vis/fog. I know you get a lot of that in PNW. But Abom also has this orange high contrast tint called Sonar, so I am not sure if that better then yellow for low visibility/fog. I will PM you some information I found that may help with choosing.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
Has anyone tried out ear loops under the helmet for hours? I feel like the helmet compression will exacerbate the feeling of the loops over the ears. I was hoping to have a mask in my pocket for the lodge if I ever need to go in, but to primarily use neck tubes (I have loads) pulled up over my hair in the back and angled down and folded in the front to cover mouth and nose. That could easily be pulled down under the mouth for breathing breaks when solo. I am going to experiment this weekend with my helmet and goggles, to figure things out. With my collection I can wear 2-3/day and have plenty for days on end....perhaps my Skida addiction is finally paying off, lol?!

The Bioskin masks look fairly thick, so I guess if you have to wear a mask full time that would keep the face fairly warm if you have a neck tube to also pull up as needed.

Fogging is another huge issue. I never wear my glasses when I leave the house these days since they fog so with masks. UGH.
I wear my ski helmet (Bern Brentwood) while I bike and I am ok with ear loops so long as there are not adjusters in the loop. But that said, my longest bike ride with a mask has been about an hour. I plan to get a Buff mask neck tube for skiing so I can pull it up and down. I will also carry regular mask if I want to wear something different inside. Upthread a buff tube mask was tested with mask and there was no fogging!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that would make the most sense. I would say either yellow or clear? They have both. I remember reading somewhere that yellow is best for low vis/fog. I know you get a lot of that in PNW. But Abom also has this orange high contrast tint called Sonar, so I am not sure if that better then yellow for low visibility/fog. I will PM you some information I found that may help with choosing.

Yellow lenses increase the contrast between light and shadow without darkening the view. They are the very best for revealing variations in snow in low light.

Sunglasses with yellow lenses are called "blue-blockers" and are marketed for driving at dawn and dusk.

Hunters use yellow lenses (https://www.allaboutvision.com/sports/shooting.htm). Many shooters are comfortable in lenses that are yellow or orange. Lenses in these hues block haze and blue light and usually enhance the contrast between the target and its background. The brighter yellow the lens color is, the better it is for use in low contrast and near-dark conditions.

"High yellow" which has absolutely no orange in it is hard to find in ski goggles. It's a very intense yellow and even better for delivering that increase in contrast. But in full sun your eyes will get no relief from the intensity if you're wearing high yellow. I think ski goggle manufacturers mix mix orange into their yellow lenses making them more amber in order to make them OK for use on days when the sun comes out.

Some people don't like yellow lenses of any sort for skiing. I'm not sure why. But I use them every day while skiing here in not-so-sunny New England.

Last edited:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Not sure if these have been mentioned before, but I just saw the new Buff Filter Masks, and they look awesome. They're made of stretchy fabric, and they have adjustable elastic straps that go around the head, and another around the neck. They come with filters, and they sell boxes of replacement filters. They're kinda pricey, but I may have to try one of these -- they look super comfortable for skiing.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure if these have been mentioned before, but I just saw the new Buff Filter Masks, and they look awesome. They're made of stretchy fabric, and they have adjustable elastic straps that go around the head, and another around the neck. They come with filters, and they sell boxes of replacement filters. They're kinda pricey, but I may have to try one of these -- they look super comfortable for skiing.

I like the look of these a lot, but would be worried about them being so tight on the face for cold weather exercise. My experience wearing a tighter mask while skiing was that it basically got wet and cold pretty quickly, mostly because the times when you most need to be wearing it (in line for the lift) are times when you're breathing hardest (right after a run). This is why I'm a fan of a mask with a bit more of a "bubble" over the mouth. Let me know if it works well for you, because I do like how secure they look!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I mentioned a few pages before. I tried skiing in them at the indoor fridge ski slope at Big Snow in NJ and the filter bunched up in the mask as I was taking goggles on and off. I was trying to straighten it out, but couldn't and was fiddling and touching the mask. It may work for other physical pursuits, but for me it didn't work well for skiing.
@vanhoskier skied in it at Big Snow too, she can give more input.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Look through the thread for posts. I have one. Haven’t tried with goggles yet, but these do breathe up into my sunglasses.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
My Buff Filter Tubes arrived today! Honestly, if you've worn a buff before, you know pretty much exactly what to expect. The sole differences are that there's a hexagonal filter pocket sewn to the interior front-top of the tube, which is large enough to cover my (substantial) nose and mouth, and that the top of the tube is folded over and hemmed, as compared to the raw edges typical of most buffs (as well as the edge on the other end of the tube). I do suspect that the hem might make for a snugger and more consistent fit over the nose and around the cheeks.

The filter pocket on its own doesn't affect breathability, as it's a loose mesh, and I don't want to burn a filter testing things out (they only come with five disposable single-day filters each, although you can order packets of 30 replacements), so I haven't tried one yet. The tube comes with an informational booklet about filter performance and guidance on wear, and states that the filter meets Type Ia and Type II classifications for bacterial filtration and breathability. Based on other products I can find with those classifications, I expect breathability and filtration performance to both be similar to a standard surgical mask.

While regular buffs hold up to machine washing/drying fine, I do suspect that the filter pocket on these might be a bit more delicate, so I'll probably machine wash and hang to dry.
Can you show a photo

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna