• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

newboots

Angel Diva
I saw groomer tracks at the top so I thought maybe they had knocked it down that day. I was wrong! And of course it’s a narrow, thank God short, trail. It was early enough that there was still snow and I only flopped around like a fish about half of a time!

I think you took me down that little trail once! A short, narrow connector at Okemo? I can’t remember the name of it.

newboots

Angel Diva
are you sure? I usually wouldn’t drag you down a Black run!

Yes, it was maybe toward the back of the summit lodge? To take us to southside, maybe? A shortcut? It was very short and certainly manageable for me.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Abbi - you would be amazed at me arriving on time during a snowstorm at 8:30 to a ski resort 90 minutes away!

Free lesson.

newboots

Angel Diva
A free lesson is a much bigger carat than just having someone to ski with!

It requires Herculean efforts in having absolutely everything prepared the night before: smoothie ready for the Ninja to take in the car, weather checked and clothes laid out, snacks packed, skis and poles in the car, map app already programmed with address of the resort, pockets of my ski jacket filled with the necessities. Then the alarm is set for two times: waking up and five minutes before I need to leave.

Luckily these free lessons are only about once a month!

alr

Certified Ski Diva
So I’m going to come back here and say that so far the tommie copper mask gaiters are working well for the whole family (photo of son today for effect). No fogging with goggles and not too clammy while wearing for hours on end. Haven’t worn it yet during a bona fide snow storm, so can’t comment on performance in that situation. Even though it’s pretty cold and windy where we ski (NH) the mask gaiter alone is enough with my jacket. I haven’t had to add my buff.

Attachments

• 05C3AB34-E9DE-441A-BF6D-19F8916AB155.png
    05C3AB34-E9DE-441A-BF6D-19F8916AB155.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 22

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After trying the Skida face mask (I love their Tour neck gaiter) and some cotton masks from Sanctuary, I was really frustrated. Skida's mask was just weird and had too many strings. I started wearing my wool buff, but it doesn't offer much protection. This got me thinking - why not try a wool face mask? I haven't skied in them yet, but I did order a merino wool mask from Huckleberry. I liked it so much, I ordered two more. They are warm, but breathe well, don't get disgustingly wet and stinky, and are comfortable and soft. I've had no breakouts from this mask either and always do when I wear cotton. The ear loops are super comfortable. I've thrown them in the washing machine in a zippered laundry bag and just let them air dry. Good as new. https://huckberry.com/store/huckberry/category/p/65685-merino-wool-face-mask

I bought a couple of these Huckberry wool masks and I think I’ll be wearing them every time I ski! They were comfy and breathable. And they did not get wet from all my heavy breathing (the last cotton mask I wore on the slopes froze while I was eating lunch :frown:). I did bring a cotton mask just to double layer when I was indoors.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh fantastic! I am heading to the mountains this week (finally) and am so glad to hear they worked out well! They are washed and ready to go for the flight - god willing, no maskne - and for our first ski day.

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
I hate it when my husband is right.
I also love it when my hubs is right- the guy is a consummate gear guru/salesman and knows his stuff.

He’s been bugging me to try his mask set up and I finally capitulated a couple weeks ago after trying and failing with at least 3 different setups, the last of which had me near tears and stomping off the mountain early.

He set me up with an OR mask that he meticulously somehow knotted around my helmet chin strap, allowing endless adjustment for even my ridiculously tiny face. The nose piece stayed put and there was NO FOGGING!!!

I could adjust it w/my gloves on mostly and wasn’t constantly doing the up and down face dance. The material somehow stayed away from my face and didn’t feel wet or cold. It was awesome.

I was going to post last week, but decided I had to try it again and make sure it wasn’t a fluke. And it wasn’t. It worked. Probably also took me that long to say he was right too.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
So, I’m about to order the Huckberrys which will make my husband wonder about my sanity, b/c we have so many masks now. I went through 4 masks in 2 hours this evening b/c they kept getting gross with the 10 degree temps. then I felt claustrophobic and had to put my goggles up AND pull the mask down after I froze up on a green I was skiing with DD... but it was 10 so I thought I might end up with icicles on my lashes.

Does anyone else get claustrophobic with all the stuff on their faces? Suggestions?

On the other hand, I did get the kids some basic REI athletic masks and they liked them a lot. I guess wearing a mask alllllll day long really numbs you to it, huh?

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I’m about to order the Huckberrys which will make my husband wonder about my sanity, b/c we have so many masks now.
When I totaled up what I've spent on masks (never do this), my husband actually started shouting. He never shouts. There's just two of us, but because the skiing thing is so tricky, it turns out I dropped over $500 on masks. And I just remembered the SkiDiva ones.... Aagh. Some of these masks I've hated instantly and never used...

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I totaled up what I've spent on masks (never do this), my husband actually started shouting. He never shouts. There's just two of us, but because the skiing thing is so tricky, it turns out I dropped over $500 on masks. And I just remembered the SkiDiva ones.... Aagh. Some of these masks I've hated instantly and never used...

I don't think I'm near $500 for me but ... I get it. I have a couple of pricier ones that were big NOs right away. UGH. And I'm looking at the Huckberry ..............

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I commented while skiing yesterday that the best $40 I've spent this season was on the Kombi mask I bought (which I've written about). I wore it for a solid four hours yesterday and, while it would be nice not to have to have my face covered, it's totally bearable and not a problem. I also thought about the fact that a couple of new people have joined our little ski gang this season and I really have no idea what they look like!

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm afraid to total up mine. I wear most of the everyday ones, but the expensive ones for skiing are all sitting around gathering dust. Remembering all the trouble I went to (going to, then calling, several stores, and finally ordering online, checking different sites for faster shipping) getting the Evo Dana, only to be significantly disappointed! Turns out a skiing-specific mask is not necessary! At least for me. I think different masks are better for different people, and making "the one" for skiing just doesn't work out.

The mask in my avatar is the first one I bought, from Etsy, and doesn't meet any of the standards. Bought it early on. It's still good for covering a surgical or N-95 or whatever for double masking, though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna