• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Both my 11yo daughter and I wear small adult bike helmets and the S/M works for us. You can see it’s a little big on her face but with the elastic cord it works fine.

My husband is 6’5” and has a massive noggin and the larger size works for him.

The UA mask is out of stock on the UA site. Which saves me from wondering what to use to keep your head warm!

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The UA mask is out of stock on the UA site. Which saves me from wondering what to use to keep your head warm!

ha ha I guess that came out funny-we ski in ski helmets- I was just giving helmet size to baseline our small head sizes. not sure why I didn't think ski helmets have sizes too.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm pretty happy with the balaclava/mask thing I bought. (Think I wrote about buying it.) Goggles don't fog and it doesn't bother me a lot (a little, but not a lot) to keep it in place over my nose all the time, including riding up and skiing down. It's a Kombi - pricey at $40 but it seems to do the trick. And doesn't seem to get too wet. I wore it for four hours straight today, with just a couple of pull-downs.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm pretty happy with the balaclava/mask thing I bought. (Think I wrote about buying it.) Goggles don't fog and it doesn't bother me a lot (a little, but not a lot) to keep it in place over my nose all the time, including riding up and skiing down. It's a Kombi - pricey at $40 but it seems to do the trick. And doesn't seem to get too wet. I wore it for four hours straight today, with just a couple of pull-downs.

At lunch (Tremblant north side, very small shop in the downstairs) I decided to see what they had. Ended up buying a Kombi Care Full Clava - a balaclava with nose covering. And space for a filter. I've tried this on with my helmet and goggles but it remains to be seen how well this will work. I'm hopeful though.

Is it this one? I can only find it in a Junior size.
https://shop.kombicanada.com/collections/kombi-care/products/kombi-care-full-clava-juniors

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
First time using the Under Armour Sportmask fleece gaiter today, and I really, really liked it. It's a bit pricey ($40), but I think well worth the money.

Thanks, that looks great. Think the S/M would work okay for a very small face? I usually use a velcro one that I can tighten.

Under armour gaiter folks please help me. I have four of these. One for each of us. But I can’t wear for more than a couple of hours without it being soaked. How do you wear it? Over chin strap or under? tucked into goggles on below goggles? I can’t figure it out!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Under armour gaiter folks please help me. I have four of these. One for each of us. But I can’t wear for more than a couple of hours without it being soaked. How do you wear it? Over chin strap or under? tucked into goggles on below goggles? I can’t figure it out!

It does get a bit wet, though since it stands out a bit from my face, I don't feel as wet as I have with other masks. To be honest, I don't think there's a lot you can do about that, whatever mask you're using.

In answer to your other questions: I wear my chin strap over the gaiter, and although it covers my nose, I pull it down a bit on each side below my goggles to keep the air from backing up into my lenses. I find that helps prevent fogging.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I have a Giro but didn't see a way to do that? I just put command hooks near the ear flaps on my helmet to hook the ear loops on. The back of my ears were getting sore, even with masks that have very narrow ear loops. I will try out the new rig tomorrow and report back.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I found I could pin a button (as in, political-type buttons) on each of my ear flaps, and they're large enough to easily slip the mask loops over them. Worked well skiing this week.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My hacked mask (the Hot Chillys bandana) worked well yesterday. It did get damp, and I could feel the moist air from my breath against my face, but the damp part stayed off of my face so it wasn't so bad. But no fogging, and quite comfortable. Since I already bought another after the first went missing for a bit I think I'll make another so I have a back up.

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
I admit that I didn't read all 27 pages of this thread, but in the few that I browsed, I didn't see any mention of Outdoor Research Ubertubes that have a place for a filter:
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/...idweight-ubertube-kit-283651?cat=121,24,6,402
I wore one today and it did get damp, but it wasn't too bad (and didn't smell like wet wool like my wool neck gaiter did when I tried to wear that as a face mask). My only complaint would be that I felt my nose getting stuffy because I pinched the nose piece tight as not to get foggy goggles.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I looked at a couple of options out there but have decided to stick with my ASTM level 3 medical masks to protect myself and others around me. Cloth masks just doesn’t cut it. As for the fogging issue, I fold a kleenex along the top edge of the mask to absorb moisture. So far it has worked well.
I also keep my goggles and mask on at all times - from the moment I got out of my car, to the moment I got back to my car. It’s not too difficult for me to do since I only ski for 3 hours a day.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have the lightweight version of that - it was recommended for an upcoming AIARE class I have in February. I am planning to skin today and test it out! Will report back.

Interested in hearing how it fits. I saw a reviewer say they wish there was a smaller size which makes me think it'll be too big for me like most of these things seem to be.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is today's experiment. I have all those hot shot $$ masks and here I am, happier with paper! I DID put my Face Saver on first. It was pretty windy and I was avoiding the the bubble chair for crowds. With the Face Saver, and the paper mask, with a fleece gaiter to pull up I was pretty much fine. I also attached the Command hooks .... that suggestion was inspired! I did have the Buff with filter in case the other didn't work but was glad not to use it. And the filter is all crushed .... So here I am!

1609971859775.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is today's experiment. I have all those hot shot $$ masks and here I am, happier with paper! I DID put my Face Saver on first. It was pretty windy and I was avoiding the the bubble chair for crowds. With the Face Saver, and the paper mask, with a fleece gaiter to pull up I was pretty much fine. I also attached the Command hooks .... that suggestion was inspired! I did have the Buff with filter in case the other didn't work but was glad not to use it. And the filter is all crushed .... So here I am!

View attachment 14540

I was worried with the command hooks that the sides wouldn’t sit flush to my face. I can’t really tell from your angle in the picture whether that’s the case or not? Or did you pull up the fleece anytime you were near anyone so it didn’t matter?

Jilly

Staff member
Rode up the chair with one of the Tremblant instructors last weekend. She was wearing a waiter and the paper mask using the hooks for the mask. She said it worked best for her as she talking a lot with the students. The fairer kept the paper from getting wet.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was worried with the command hooks that the sides wouldn’t sit flush to my face. I can’t really tell from your angle in the picture whether that’s the case or not? Or did you pull up the fleece anytime you were near anyone so it didn’t matter?
I felt as though it was close to my face. It was pulled tightly enough across my face. Also the goggles held it down more. My fleece was up a certain amount of the time because of the cold or at least the wind.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Interested in hearing how it fits. I saw a reviewer say they wish there was a smaller size which makes me think it'll be too big for me like most of these things seem to be.
It has an adjustment at the back of the neck so you can snug it up, but it is possible you may still find it too roomy. It didn't seem to fit any differently than the STE regular size. I wore it when I skinned on resort today - in terms of ease of use the Outdoor Research Ubertube (lightweight) was great, but skinning in a mask bites, lol.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found a big improvement in the amount of fogging of my goggles when I got these cloths and did the inside of the goggle. The Abom goggles do not have an inner coating like most goggles, they rely on their heating, so you're always worrying about the battery. I'd use these even on non-Abom goggles, tho, because inevitably those coatings get disturbed. These cloths seem to be more effective than the equivalent Smith ones I've used. This should also help when it's just your glasses. Not a total fog eliminator, but seems to be reduced and dissipate faster.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792RCM27?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna