• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have real doubts about paper filters in the OR masks too - I've worn one when waiting in the lift line on a busy day or when shopping, but end up taking it out for skiing. It folds up and just gets in the way once it's at all damp.

Thinking of sewing in a 3rd layer as the mask itself is comfy and generally ok.
Put a 3M-N95 in there. That's what I do. Remove the elastics first on the N95. It fits taut inside the filter pocket.

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
So tried the under armour mask gaiter today with some success. It was very warm. Sometimes too warm. When it was adjusted right, goggles didn't fog. But then I had to pull it down (when I was socially distant of course) and couldn't get it just right easily. Will keep experimenting.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am very happy to report that I tried the bioskin mask today and it worked great! Minimal fogging. With a balaclava over it holding it in place, and a helmet on, it stayed in place and the balaclava covered any potential gaps on the side. It might be a bit more challenging on a warmer day when I don't want the balaclava, but today it was perfect. It was a little difficult to breathe with at times, because every time I breathed in, it sucked the fabric up against my nose. I think a few people have mentioned spacers you can put inside masks? I might try that or I might just deal because it wasn't too bad.

newboots

Angel Diva
I saw someone wearing one of those Seirus masks with the holes on the hill last week.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a bright thought today. If your helmet chin strap is trapping the lower edge of your mask, your exhalations have nowhere to go but up into your goggles. That's probably why so many like the Bioskins. My Bioskin only has one strap on each side and the lower edge is pretty free-floating. I'm not using that one, but the Safe Mate I got from Amazon fogged my goggles much less when its lower edge was pulled loose.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a bright thought today. If your helmet chin strap is trapping the lower edge of your mask, your exhalations have nowhere to go but up into your goggles. That's probably why so many like the Bioskins. My Bioskin only has one strap on each side and the lower edge is pretty free-floating. I'm not using that one, but the Safe Mate I got from Amazon fogged my goggles much less when its lower edge was pulled loose.

Are you using the tie behind BioSkin mask or the ear loop one?

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First time using the Under Armour Sportmask fleece gaiter today, and I really, really liked it. It's a bit pricey ($40), but I think well worth the money. I'd been using the Community Wear Facemask Gaiter, which is actually pretty good. But that one is pretty thin, and I wanted something for colder days. The UA mask is made of a thicker, stretchy fleece, so yes, much warmer. And it's nice and soft, so it's quite comfortable, too. I like that sits off from your face so you don't get that wet, drippy feeling you get with other masks. There's a nose wire so you can pinch it tight for a snugger fit. And there's an adjustable cord in the back, so you can pull it tight around your head. I had no fogging problems, either, so thumbs up to that! Anyway, a good mask that I heartily recommend.

View attachment 14424

My whole family has been wearing these and we really like them. Might have to find a better spring option as they are very toasty warm. But love the air pocket around my face. They were awesome for a super cold zoo lights outing as well. They do take a while to hang dry when you wash them
and get pretty damp during use- so some strategy is required to have them clean/ dry and ready to go.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you using the tie behind BioSkin mask or the ear loop one?
The ones I bought (but haven't used for skiing yet) are the behind your head tie kind. They seem perfect if you ever want to eat and wear a mask while you're at it. But they don't take a filter and are only one layer of (admittedly dense) fabric so I haven't been using them... yet.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Buff kids mask came the other day and it fits great! Very glad I did not get the adult size.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I got the Rothy Kid's size but it's a bit too tight. The two tween girls I know loved the patterns so they didn't go to waste at all.

I like the material and design. Plan to give the adult size a try.

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
I’ve been switching out the UA gaiter with a performance mask from rafinova.com. The UA gaiter is comfy but just gets so wet ... ick. The Rafi Nova one works pretty well too. It is not a gaiter so I wear a separate one to cover my neck and sometimes as added protection over my mouth and nose. (Plus I took advantage of a sale they had a while ago and have a ton of them...)

Peppermint

Angel Diva
I find that hooking my regular mask around the ear flaps of my helmet works perfectly - I have a Giro helmet, not sure if it would work with other brands. I was also surprised how warm it kept my face while skiing. I never feel the need to pull it down while skiing and the mask did not cause any fogging issues at all. The mask brand is called debrief me at https://debriefme.com/products/adults-x95

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 22

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I find that hooking my regular mask around the ear flaps of my helmet works perfectly - I have a Giro helmet, not sure if it would work with other brands.
I have a Giro but didn't see a way to do that? I just put command hooks near the ear flaps on my helmet to hook the ear loops on. The back of my ears were getting sore, even with masks that have very narrow ear loops. I will try out the new rig tomorrow and report back.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
I have a Giro but didn't see a way to do that? I just put command hooks near the ear flaps on my helmet to hook the ear loops on. The back of my ears were getting sore, even with masks that have very narrow ear loops. I will try out the new rig tomorrow and report back.
Command hooks are likely to be cheaper than this option, but I’m tempted because it’s very clever and clean (no adhesives): https://www.headwall.org/store/p1/maskclip.html#/

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First time using the Under Armour Sportmask fleece gaiter today, and I really, really liked it. It's a bit pricey ($40), but I think well worth the money.

Thanks, that looks great. Think the S/M would work okay for a very small face? I usually use a velcro one that I can tighten.

Both my 11yo daughter and I wear small adult bike helmets and the S/M works for us. You can see it’s a little big on her face but with the elastic cord it works fine.

My husband is 6’5” and has a massive noggin and the larger size works for him.

Attachments

• D9738EE3-8C51-4BF6-91A1-E18C732226B7.jpeg
    D9738EE3-8C51-4BF6-91A1-E18C732226B7.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 14

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Glad it wasn't just me! I looked at my Giro helmet today and couldn't see any way to do that.

I did bring Command hooks with me when I moved up here. Worth a try!

I wore the Seirus Dana Evo mask today. Foggy goggles as soon as it started to get wet from exhalation ...... I put a strip of kleenex at the top of the mask. It was fine until that got wet and mushed up. (ICK). I will probably perfect skiing holding my goggles off my face to dry them out. Anyway, this was day one so there is lots of experimenting left to do. But I didn't like the wet icky face thing.

On a positive note the RFID ladies (women?) at the JG base were stopping people with masks with open holes in them. I'd heard one was. And she is a definite no nonsense type. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna