• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found a big improvement in the amount of fogging of my goggles when I got these cloths and did the inside of the goggle. The Abom goggles do not have an inner coating like most goggles, they rely on their heating, so you're always worrying about the battery. I'd use these even on non-Abom goggles, tho, because inevitably those coatings get disturbed. These cloths seem to be more effective than the equivalent Smith ones I've used. This should also help when it's just your glasses. Not a total fog eliminator, but seems to be reduced and dissipate faster.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792RCM27?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I got something similar at my eye doctors. It was working for everybody in the office. No joy for me! Makes me crazy because I like to wear glasses except when I am skiing when I wear contacts. One day I will find the right product!

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd been using the Community Wear Facemask Gaiter, which is actually pretty good.

I ordered these and they seem really thin- but as much as I tried I could not blow out a candle with it on. Seemed pretty effective and comfortable.

That said the company seems to have some sketchy business practices. I bought 3 masks on buy 2 get one free. They sent me an invoice showing three shipped. Then the package came and there were only two in it. So I reached out and they told me - oh we were out of navy so shipped without it but didn’t charge you. So I bought three for the price of two and got two for the price of two and the customer service person typed this out and told me to have an awesome day. Uh no...

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also (and my apologies if I missed this in discussion) for the seirus evo Dana what size are we liking??

Based on some discussion here, I ordered the Evo Dana Arc (not the balaclava) from LL Bean. I ended up with a large, based on the guidelines for measuring the head, and it was HUGE! Had to send it back (and complained to a rep by phone.) Now I have the medium and it's pretty good. (I generally have a large head for women, medium for men's sizes.) The velcro at the back works fine. The space in front is good for breathing. It gets quite damp inside, but because it is away from your face, it's not too bad. A bit of rubbing at the nose seam, as others have mentioned, but I can live with it. I was worried that it would slip down, but it's not a problem. Better than the other options I've been trying.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I read this whole thread and I think the conclusion so far is meh? Unless i want to get new goggles with the magnetic thing?

I feel like I’ve tried everything. Doubled up buff, mask inside buff, mask outside buff, tripled buff. In Wisconsin, it’s cold, and we’ve had some really cold skis, so I’m ending up with a gross gloppy mess on my face. It’s so nasty. The hooks won’t really eliminate that problem, the mask is just holding the moisture and condensing it right there. EW.

So, before I read this, I had gotten the OR adrenaline mask from REI. (Hindsight, should have read this first) ... Sure enough, the filter bunched right up. Totally thought I was going to take a deep breath in and choke on filter. And of all the things I need to think about when skiing (weight forward, shift to the outside ski, no...push that arm further forward, flex those ankles, look down the slope, blah blah blah) the LAST THING I need is, “am I gonna choke on this piece of filter?“

So, I checked one of my cheap target fabric masks and it fits PERFECTLY into the pocket. So, instead of the fall apart disposable filter, I’m planning on using this fabric mask (which can have a filter added to a pocket inside it) inside the OR mask. the OR frame will hold the mask away from my face, and the fabric mask will do the work.

For anyone who already made that OR “investment” and is frustrated, here’s the Target fabric...easily washable and fairly inexpensive ... you could have one for each hour.

https://www.target.com/p/2pk-adult-fabric-face-mask/-/A-79934801

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My newest experience - yesterday - was a bit of a setback. I got Bioskin masks a couple of months ago based on recommendations here, and they were great - no goggle fogging!

But yesterday a storm moved in mid-day (SNOW!!! YAY!!!), and the external moisture ... froze? maybe? but all of a sudden I could not breathe at all. So that was a problem. I had to take it off and rely on my buff. When I’m outside in lift lines and on chairs I think it’s okay, but that is not enough protection for my comfort when I go in to use the facilities. I had a spare mask but it was an awful lot of mask-wrangling to put a new one on to go inside, then remove it again outside so it didn’t freeze as well. Whew.

Sadly, it’s a lousy snow year so I doubt this will be a frequent problem.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Speaking of the Bioskins mask - I went to a couple of fabric stores to try and find a wicking fabric like those are, so I could sew a piece inside the Seirus Dana Mask (because I don’t like how that feels on my cheeks and chin) and neither place seemed to have any soft wicking fabric (although I’m not sure how dedicated they were at really looking). Anyone have any ideas on what I could look for and where? Internet has stuff, but I can’t feel it first, obviously.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
My fave soft synthetic is the current felina leggings at costco...2 prs for 12.99. Maybe just get those and cut them up?

Jenny

Angel Diva
My fave soft synthetic is the current felina leggings at costco...2 prs for 12.99. Maybe just get those and cut them up?
Hmmm, I think we have a Costco membership at work . . . Thought about cutting up one of my old workout pants, but they aren’t as soft. I’ll have to check these out, thanks. Would only need to cut up one pair, too, so new clothes! With that thought in mind, how are they in sizing?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I think they’re pretty true to size. The stretch is awesome. I’ve been wearing them as my base layer b/c they are opaque enough to not worry about my underwear hanging out if I have to stop to fill up gas on the drive home. LOL.

I had a pair in black and they are my absolute favorites so I picked them up in gray. Especially rn, I just throw a dress on over them and I’m ”dressed for work” but cozy and warm.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read this whole thread and I think the conclusion so far is meh? Unless i want to get new goggles with the magnetic thing?

I feel like I’ve tried everything. Doubled up buff, mask inside buff, mask outside buff, tripled buff. In Wisconsin, it’s cold, and we’ve had some really cold skis, so I’m ending up with a gross gloppy mess on my face. It’s so nasty. The hooks won’t really eliminate that problem, the mask is just holding the moisture and condensing it right there. EW.

So, before I read this, I had gotten the OR adrenaline mask from REI. (Hindsight, should have read this first) ... Sure enough, the filter bunched right up. Totally thought I was going to take a deep breath in and choke on filter. And of all the things I need to think about when skiing (weight forward, shift to the outside ski, no...push that arm further forward, flex those ankles, look down the slope, blah blah blah) the LAST THING I need is, “am I gonna choke on this piece of filter?“

So, I checked one of my cheap target fabric masks and it fits PERFECTLY into the pocket. So, instead of the fall apart disposable filter, I’m planning on using this fabric mask (which can have a filter added to a pocket inside it) inside the OR mask. the OR frame will hold the mask away from my face, and the fabric mask will do the work.

For anyone who already made that OR “investment” and is frustrated, here’s the Target fabric...easily washable and fairly inexpensive ... you could have one for each hour.

https://www.target.com/p/2pk-adult-fabric-face-mask/-/A-79934801
I have used a regular OR mask to hold a disposable surgical mask for a better fit (no gaps).

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My newest experience - yesterday - was a bit of a setback. I got Bioskin masks a couple of months ago based on recommendations here, and they were great - no goggle fogging!

But yesterday a storm moved in mid-day (SNOW!!! YAY!!!), and the external moisture ... froze? maybe? but all of a sudden I could not breathe at all. So that was a problem. I had to take it off and rely on my buff. When I’m outside in lift lines and on chairs I think it’s okay, but that is not enough protection for my comfort when I go in to use the facilities. I had a spare mask but it was an awful lot of mask-wrangling to put a new one on to go inside, then remove it again outside so it didn’t freeze as well. Whew.

Sadly, it’s a lousy snow year so I doubt this will be a frequent problem.

The mask wrangling is why I put the command hooks on my helmet. I change the masks during the day when they get damp. And thpose create a space/width that would also fit a paper mask if you wanted to. I am using the triple layer Bioskin mask. It does have a space to insert a filter as well.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Yes, although my head is tiny so a Jr might be right for me. But my question didn't related to the size. It's the shape and stretchiness I guess.

Yes, I can pull this down over my mouth if I want. It IS on the small side (the one I have) but it works well. Doesn't seem to get overly wet even if I leave it up all the time, and goggles don't fog. I am VERY happy I bought this as everything else I had tried until then wasn't working all that well. A lot of people just pull a neck warmer up over their nose, but I like knowing I have a proper mask on.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I saw groomer tracks at the top so I thought maybe they had knocked it down that day. I was wrong! And of course it’s a narrow, thank God short, trail. It was early enough that there was still snow and I only flopped around like a fish about half of a time!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly