• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

MissySki

Angel Diva
My favorite actual masks for skiing are still the Ski The East ones. Also got one from Sunday River that is almost the same exact construction. So I stopped paying attention to others after I found those and have just added to my collection with different prints they come out with periodically. If it's a warmer day that I feel will have me wanting to uncover my face for some runs then I just go with the neck buff types (not actually Buff brand) that I have which loop around the ears allowing for easy up and down adjustments.

For everyday life I now use a surgical or KN95 (depending where I need to go and for how long) and then cover that up with regular multilayer cloth masks. The KN95s are actually really comfortable to breath in, I like how the cone shape keeps the front away from your mouth. I'm curious how that would be to ski in.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Tried the command hook trick... used the clear plastic "decor" hooks - no weight rating.... you can barely see them on the helmet and the kids gave them double thumbs up. They provided a good fit for the mask (flush to face at sides) but no squashing of the ears with the strings behind it.

For the kids, I really wanted to make sure that whatever hook I used would breakaway without any strangulation risk (see my "Am I Uptight?" post, the answer is yes, yes I am uptight, but justifiably so) ... the bonus is that the clear hook w/ clear adhesive strip look really low key.

I have gotten the right mask for them, too!

Now, to fix my issues.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I'd still love to have a Ski Diva mask -- are they still available, @ski diva ?

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just read that if goggles are fogging up, one can use this double-sided skin-fabric tape to hold the mask against the skin atop the nose so the humid exhaled air doesn't go up into the goggles. Another strategy is to seal the top of the mask against the nose with a bandaid.
https://www.amazon.com/Fearless-Tape-Sensitive-Clothing-Transparent/dp/B07QY8V5XT
But then I'll be ripping the tape off my face with every lift ride. That's when I blow my runny nose. (I'm a single.)

newboots

Angel Diva
But then I'll be ripping the tape off my face with every lift ride. That's when I blow my runny nose. (I'm a single.)

Could you lift the mask from below? I think that could work.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Having used the Evo Arc Dynamax Dana in temps from 50 down to 15, I'm quite happy with it. When it's really cold or snowing, I put a gaiter over the top of the "apron" section. When it's warm, either no gaiter at all, or just a thin one underneath the apron to keep the back of my neck warm. The firm strip down the middle keep the material off my mouth. So when it gets a little damp, I don't feel it at all.

I also have a cloth mask with a head loop around my neck (homemade version using hair ties). So that's handy when I'm going indoors for a little while and want to take off my helmet.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The KN95s are actually really comfortable to breath in, I like how the cone shape keeps the front away from your mouth. I'm curious how that would be to ski in.
I love skiing in KN95--the fact that they stand off my nose/mouth is great for me. That is one reason I have traditionally never liked skiing in a gaiter--I can't stand the fabric on my mouth or sucking it in. I find KN95 really comfortable to ski in.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I didn't know UA made a gaiter mask. Their regular sportmask is the only mask I can tolerate during climbing and skiing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna