• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jenny injures her ankle at Mammoth

Jenny

Angel Diva
Had another PT appt today where they take some measurements of strength, ROM, etc. which I find very interesting, especially since I really find the PT has been so much less intense than I expected. Apparently my mother was wrong when she said I have no imagination, because I imagined all sorts of things that haven’t come to pass. Mostly involving pain . . . so it's good they haven’t materialized.

Strength is good, ROM is good in most ways, hysterically not good in another. Let me explain.

Pointing/plantarflexion - great, even or better than my non-injured foot (left).

Dorsiflexion - good for me, almost equal to left. Compared to normal people, well, I’m in the normal range, but at the very low end.

Invert - good

Evert - still needs some work, but getting there

The tightness I keep complaining about in my big toe joint - that's the hysterical part. When I try to do this https://goo.gl/images/HsZZBw with my toes I measure at 13. Normal is 60. My normal is still only 30 on my other foot, so I have some real work to do here. My gait will improve when this improves.

Got some balance exercises, too.

Now, call me naive (or stupid, but quietly, and behind my back, please), but I’m starting to think this injury was a BFD. I saw a different PT today (regular guy is in S. Africa at the Ironman world championships or some such thing') and she’s the second or third person that used the word "dislocate". Not a word I like, or want to be associated with. She also used the word "major" and the phrase "not common".

So, note to everyone out there - try not to do this to yourselves!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm glad that you are progressing so well !

Interesting information about the toe flexing photo. What's that called?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm glad that you are progressing so well !

Interesting information about the toe flexing photo. What's that called?
I’m not even sure what to call it, but there are yoga positions where your toes are supposed to be like that and mine aren’t. There was also a picture like that on a running website, so I wonder if it's just indicative of tight feet and the problems that can come from that.

ETA - it also has ramifications for walking properly. I'm supposed to be making sure I walk using my whole foot, making sure to push off using my toes. She mentioned how if you can’t do that then you walk too flat footed, and shuffle, I guess. She mentioned senior citizens as an example.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great to hear you are progressing well, you're a good patient and doing more on your own time something many don't do.

Maybe you need ask for a script to the beach to take some walks in the deep sand to get toes to flex further- (lol) Very interesting about gait and toe flex!

Do they have you standing on the edge of stairs with your toes/front part on the edge and dropping off w/heels then up on toes? It's a great stretch but may be too soon for that?

Really Glad to hear healing is going well

Jenny

Angel Diva
It's funny, but I don’t feel like I’m doing much of anything at home! Maybe my expectations were overly big, based on other people's PT experiences, (not necessarily with the same injury). And you're right, I should ask about the beach when I’m there Thursday, although I might need to get a bit steadier in the balance area first.

They have not had me doing the stair exercise, but I have been standing on a slant board and doing other calf stretches and they did test me today to see if I can raise myself on my tippy-toes, both with straight leg and bent knees (spoiler alert - I can!) so it's the same motion.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My former MIL spent her entire life in spike heels. Even wore them shopping. I always thought she walked not too flat-footed, but too stiff-footed ... with kind of a side-to-side weight shifting because she couldn't roll her foot in a heel-to-toe motion. Fast forward 30 years ... the heels are gone, but the waddle remains, now with a cane.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Soooo, I was graduated from PT today. Bittersweet. Yay that I'm doing well enough to continue on my own, boo to no more foot massages and oversight.

ROM is good. I still need more strength to get all the way on dorsiflexion, but there are no obstructions within the ankle keeping it from going where it should.

I can walk smoothly and every, without a hitch in my step.

What I need to do is work on strength and balance and stretching. I have the exercises, and the will, and I can see that it’s much better now than a few weeks ago. Between yoga and continuing with the program, I should be fine.

I can also feel the residual tightness getting better, so that’s a plus. Last night, after wearing toe stretchers and the PF boot my foot actually felt normal for about 10 minutes before starting to tighten up again. It's mostly across the top of the foot, and in the big toe joint (the one at the ball of the foot, not in the toe).

I now have a 30 day free membership at the Y and one free personal trainer session. Any suggestions as to what I should ask them to focus on? I don’t do enough weight stuff, ever, so I was thinking about having them show me the easiest weight exercises they could that would still be beneficial to my bones. I really am not interested in anything more than that. I also don’t do enough cardio, but that I can figure out on my own.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Congrats! I know nothing about this but cheer for your recover!
I don’t really either, so I’m hoping this is all ok! Been poking at my foot tonight looking for sore spots, in the subconscious hope that it will mean additional PT, I think.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you feel you need more PT sessions, ask your doctor. Just in case.

Jenny

Angel Diva
If you feel you need more PT sessions, ask your doctor. Just in case.
I see him Monday, but really I think everything is fine. It’s just such a habit now to have my foot in my hand (massaging the scar, tight spots, stretching, manipulating) that when I caught myself searching for sore spots it kind of made me laugh at myself. But I do have a short list of questions to ask him all ready to go . . .

Jenny

Angel Diva
Saw the doctor - he’s quite pleased with himself for fixing me so good. I got a little credit, too, lol. He says range of motion is great and the balance was further along than he expected. That said, he was also quite accommodating about extending the PT when I said I was sad that it was done. The place I was going is making some changes, so in order to stay in the same practice I have to change locations, but there’s one about a mile from the house and I’m far enough along that I don’t mind changing therapists. It's more for the toe joint as far as I’m concerned at this point, and the oversight/accountability on balance exercises. Also, scar tissue massage - just to make sure it's being done right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna