• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jenny injures her ankle at Mammoth

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awww, you got Princess Feet!

All kidding aside, that sounds pretty miserable. I wonder what causes the burning sole.

None of this is regression. You just got the cast off. You're walking around now in the boot ... maybe the goal now is just getting that foot used to bearing weight again? The sheer act of using it again will probably help flush out the fluid.

I expect once you get past this period of acclimating to walking, you're going to see some rapid progress.

Do you also have a progression over the next 4 weeks of ditching the crutches, then the boot ... like 2 crutches + boot, then 1 crutch + boot, then just boot, then shoes?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Awww, you got Princess Feet!

All kidding aside, that sounds pretty miserable. I wonder what causes the burning sole.

None of this is regression. You just got the cast off. You're walking around now in the boot ... maybe the goal now is just getting that foot used to bearing weight again? The sheer act of using it again will probably help flush out the fluid.

I expect once you get past this period of acclimating to walking, you're going to see some rapid progress.

Do you also have a progression over the next 4 weeks of ditching the crutches, then the boot ... like 2 crutches + boot, then 1 crutch + boot, then just boot, then shoes?
I know it's not really regression, just have to get past these first few days. I assume the increased activity is why I was so tired last night that I went to bed at 8:45 and slept all the way through until the alarm at 7:00 this morning, too. And I'm still tired! (And this from someone who gets between 7.5 and 8 hours of sleep every single night, except weekends, when it's closer to 9 - I'm dedicated to my sleep.)

I'm guessing the burning is just friction (a little bit) and nerves/muscles starting to work in this way again. Much too early to be worrying about permanent nerve damage and such.

As for progression, nothing formal was said. I figure about a week and a half with two crutches, then another week and a half or so with one, and then down to the boot for the last bit. It's all about making sure I walk normally, as you know, so I don't promote myself to the next step too soon. For short trips, when I need to carry something, I have used one crutch already, but I can tell that I'm using the crutch for more weight than when I use two. Was hoping to walk outside this weekend but it's supposed to be 90 degrees and humid, so I guess it'll be the mall, instead.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Sounds like your progress is on track. Sorry it's been a little more painful than expected.

As to being more tired than usual, I have found that it's hard work walking around when you have an injured body part. It takes a lot out of you.

You know that "slow and steady" is the way to go. Keep it up and we'll see you at Mammoth this winter.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Excellent! Congratulations! Has to feel good to know all those parts are working. And to know there's progress, not regression!

Next week ... ski boots?

Jenny

Angel Diva
OMG - had I typed this earlier today it would have been a true whiny whine whine. Now it's just more of an observation.

As far as I can tell, surgery stuff is fine. Incision doesn't hurt, scar looks great, and any pulling I feel in the area feels like normal recovery stuff. These other ancillary aches and pains, OTOH . . .

in order to learn to walk right, I have to do it. So I have to put the foot on the ground and walk. When I do that, the sole of the foot burns, because it has to get used to being used again. Everything tightened up while I was NWB, including, of course, my plantar fascia. So now I have that pain. To fix that, you’re supposed to rest and stretch it, but I can’t rest it because I have to learn to walk again!

Also, skin sensitivity! Getting better, but pretty interesting overall. How interesting? Well, I ice for pain, and for skin sensitivity, because it's usually the burning foot soles I’m doing it for. But then ice tightens up the stuff I’m supposed to be stretching. So then I put heat on it, which makes my little toe feel like it's burning, even though it's not under the heat, but nerves are weird and that’s what happens. But I need the heat to help loosen up the forefoot area because if that doesn’t happen soon I will go out of my ever-lovin' mind! So that's how I end up heating one side of my foot while resting the other side on an ice pack.

There's a lot of stuff that I didn't know about healing from surgery that I wish they had just mentioned right up front so I could prepare for it!

Oh, and I looooooove foot massages from the PT guys. Worth whatever the insurance and I are paying them.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG - had I typed this earlier today it would have been a true whiny whine whine. Now it's just more of an observation.

As far as I can tell, surgery stuff is fine. Incision doesn't hurt, scar looks great, and any pulling I feel in the area feels like normal recovery stuff. These other ancillary aches and pains, OTOH . . .

in order to learn to walk right, I have to do it. So I have to put the foot on the ground and walk. When I do that, the sole of the foot burns, because it has to get used to being used again. Everything tightened up while I was NWB, including, of course, my plantar fascia. So now I have that pain. To fix that, you’re supposed to rest and stretch it, but I can’t rest it because I have to learn to walk again!

Also, skin sensitivity! Getting better, but pretty interesting overall. How interesting? Well, I ice for pain, and for skin sensitivity, because it's usually the burning foot soles I’m doing it for. But then ice tightens up the stuff I’m supposed to be stretching. So then I put heat on it, which makes my little toe feel like it's burning, even though it's not under the heat, but nerves are weird and that’s what happens. But I need the heat to help loosen up the forefoot area because if that doesn’t happen soon I will go out of my ever-lovin' mind! So that's how I end up heating one side of my foot while resting the other side on an ice pack.

There's a lot of stuff that I didn't know about healing from surgery that I wish they had just mentioned right up front so I could prepare for it!

Oh, and I looooooove foot massages from the PT guys. Worth whatever the insurance and I are paying them.

amazing, hope it keeps getting better.. I"m wondering if you had one of the home foot massage w/water swirling (warm) tubbies if would help loosen up your foot?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HoMedics...75035&wl11=online&wl12=44881972&wl13=&veh=sem

Jenny

Angel Diva
amazing, hope it keeps getting better.. I"m wondering if you had one of the home foot massage w/water swirling (warm) tubbies if would help loosen up your foot?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HoMedics...75035&wl11=online&wl12=44881972&wl13=&veh=sem
Dunno, but we have one, so it's on the list to try. Working my way down through various options. Right now deciding whether to try sleeping in my plantar fasciitis boot, which would keep it stretched, but is kind of a pain to sleep in. And I need a good night's sleep tonight - have to be at work at 6:30 a.m. to start getting things set up for our fundraiser golf outing. Gonna be a long, hot, humid day . . .

mustski

Angel Diva
Don't sleep with the PF boot unless your Physical Therapist ok's it. In the meantime, lucky you for the foot massages! Silver lining, eh?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Don't sleep with the PF boot unless your Physical Therapist ok's it. In the meantime, lucky you for the foot massages! Silver lining, eh?
Oops, missed this before. They OK'd it. I've been having trouble sleeping, and even when I get to sleep the foot tightness wakes me up at least once, maybe twice, a night. So last night I took one of the muscle relaxers (doesn’t help the tightness but they reliably make me very sleepy), and when I woke up I put the PF boot on and then went to sleep again until the boot was so annoying it woke me up, then took it off, etc. etc.

kiki

Angel Diva
So glad to see the progress you are making, cast off, PT, amd acclimating to using your foot again. Sending hugs!!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Sooooo, I did this today! This is the end of the walk to breakfast and back - little under a half mile each way. I took the crutch in case I got tired but didn’t end up using it.

Not sure this captures how slow I’m really walking, but it doesn't matter - I’m MOBILE!

!D34622A1-487A-49AA-9EAE-0B482400206A.gif

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is wonderful! Ahas the skin sensitivity and PF pain subsided at all?

Jenny

Angel Diva
This is wonderful! Ahas the skin sensitivity and PF pain subsided at all?
Skin sensitivity seems better, working on the PF stuff. Dave the PT has quite a knack for finding the super sore spot and digging his thumbs in harder almost before I’ve even reacted. There was some table clutching and "Thank you, sir, may I have another?!" on Thursday. I'm using my nubby ball on the arch of my foot a lot, and have begun using the slant board to stretch the calf out, which should all help. Also rolling the foot on ice bottles.

Downside to being more mobile - I have to participate in a lot more household chores! DH didn't want me navigating the stairs while I had boot/crutches, which put him in charge of laundry. Not anymore, sigh. And since I can carry things now I no longer get table service for meals. Once I’m fully healed I’m going to owe him a LOT of chore-free weeks!

Thinking about testing out driving - first in an empty parking lot. Doctor said when I could stomp on the brake I could drive and I haven’t tested that yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly