• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jenny injures her ankle at Mammoth

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds as if he sees that you've really made the most of the PT. Makes sense to support you in getting the best possible results.

So how do the ski boots feel? :smile:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Sounds as if he sees that you've really made the most of the PT. Makes sense to support you in getting the best possible results.

So how do the ski boots feel? :smile:
I’m not even trying them on for another month or so - although I did go talk to the ski shop this week, to see about adjusting them to fit whatever shape my foot is this year. I'm not sure we have anyone who would be considered a "fitter" vs knowledgeable long-term shop guy, but they're not just sales clerks either.

Besides the obvious reasons fitting might be interesting (randomly swelling foot with overly skinny calf) I’m a little concerned about seams in the liner and also the side of the tongue and where either of those things will hit.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Got fired from PT again yesterday! After having the doc extend it for another 6 weeks I actually only went another 4 more times. And I think those last visits were more mental therapy than physical therapy, when you get right down to it. I did get more exercises and have been doing them faithfully, as well as making use of the 30 day free Y membership. Not sure my body can sustain this rate of exercise sometimes . . . feels like I'm there all. the. time. But it does feel good, and I can tell there's improvement in everything. My calf is even getting some shape to it again, instead of being just a chicken leg.

Tightness and feelings in the foot are still changing and getting less obtrusive, so I still have hopes that the worst of it is still improving.

Will try on the boots in another week or two and see what happens.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Boot day is slated for tomorrow. Not sure why I’m procrastinating - probably a subconscious fear that they won't fit, or maybe because the last time I had them on was the injury day, whatever.

Foot was sore today and yesterday - more so than it had been. Will someone whose been through this please reassure me that it's normal? I’m thinking it's a two steps forward, one step back sort of thing. Been using it more with yoga and exercise and now it needs a small rest to get used to the new level of activity. At least that’s what I keep telling myself.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Boot day is slated for tomorrow. Not sure why I’m procrastinating - probably a subconscious fear that they won't fit, or maybe because the last time I had them on was the injury day, whatever.

Foot was sore today and yesterday - more so than it had been. Will someone whose been through this please reassure me that it's normal? I’m thinking it's a two steps forward, one step back sort of thing. Been using it more with yoga and exercise and now it needs a small rest to get used to the new level of activity. At least that’s what I keep telling myself.

Yup. Its not a steady straight upward line of progress. At least not for me. My first day back on skis I was so excited No pain! My ankle is working fine! Um . . . needless to say there were setbacks after that. But ultimately, patience and perseverance prevailed.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thank you, @Skisailor. Did it hurt right where the original injury was, too? That's part of what psychologically bothers me. Most of the time the pain hasn’t been within the incision boundaries but this time it is, so it makes me queasy . . .

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Yes. At various times it hurt at the break points, at the surgery points and at distant spots too. And getting all of the little muscles and tendons in my ankle and calf into actual skiing shape took awhile, even though I was walking fine by the time I went skiing. It got tired very easily too.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thank you sooo much for this.

There's a small chance we could come to Big Sky this year. Is there stuff I could ski, while being careful of my ankle and not get tempted to ski over my head? I promised myself that I’d take it easy this year - use it as a time to focus on technique more. My other idea is ski week @ Taos, but I’d love to ski with you again. I'd say I’m better than the last time, but now that I might be an ankle baby I’m not so sure!

Skisailor

Angel Diva

There's a small chance we could come to Big Sky this year. Is there stuff I could ski, while being careful of my ankle and not get tempted to ski over my head? I promised myself that I’d take it easy this year - use it as a time to focus on technique more. My other idea is ski week @ Taos, but I’d love to ski with you again. I'd say I’m better than the last time, but now that I might be an ankle baby I’m not so sure!

Absolutely!!!! We have lots of green and blue groomers. Tons!!

Skisailor

Angel Diva

You could start on Mr. K - 2 1/2 mile long rolling green. Please let me know if you come and what the dates are. Would be great to take some runs together and I can show you around. It’s such a huge place. Good to know a local. :smile:

I hope you come!!!

marzNC

Angel Diva

While Taos is a great place for lessons at any ability level, I suggest Big Sky for this season. Not only plenty of greens and blues, they are nice and long. Not just on in one area either. Lots of variety for easy cruising. A day or two at Bridger is worth considering too.

Skiing and visiting with @Skisailor ? As they say . . . priceless!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I would love to go to Big Sky (never been there) and ski with (or clinic) with @Skisailor...... and/or @Ursula ..... this year won't work as 3 weeks in europe....

Skisailor

Angel Diva
While Taos is a great place for lessons at any ability level, I suggest Big Sky for this season. Not only plenty of greens and blues, they are nice and long. Not just on in one area either. Lots of variety for easy cruising. A day or two at Bridger is worth considering too.

Lol. :ski2::ski2::ski2::ski2:

Jenny

Angel Diva

It's been too long since I've skied with @Skisailor for sure, and we have other friends from overseas that are going there this year, which is why there's a chance we might, too.

I enjoyed Taos when we were there a few years ago. It's even the first (and only!) time I've skied black diamond trees - in a lesson. Apparently I'll follow an instructor anywhere. We also had about a foot of snow each night, so we got the chance to ski in powder consistently, instead of a day here and there.

Ski Week appeals to me for a couple of reasons. 1) See above. I'm good in lessons with an authority figure telling me what to do. I figure it's bad on their record if they hurt/kill me, so they won't take me anywhere I can't handle. For that reason, I would wait until another year, after I've gotten over anything lingering from the injury, so that I can progress. 2) However, this would be a good year to work on technique and fundamentals and if there IS anything I need to learn differently after the injury, Ski Week seems like it would be a good place to do it, with multiple days of instruction and the same instructor. Especially because I think there are a couple of things I do that will affect my progression anyway, ankle issues aside.

We'll see what works out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna