• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Gear for a fat skier

elemmac

Angel Diva
Welcome! I haven't been in this site long, but I quickly came to realize everyone here is full of good words and lots of encouragement. Skiing is like riding a bike, you don't ever really forget how to do it. I had stopped skiing for 12 years, and it all came back pretty quickly.

As for equipment, my advice would be to look at a stiffer ski than your average woman would be on. You're going to be able to flex the ski easier than most women, and you don't want to overpower it. Maybe even consider men's skis. As everyone has already said, demo equipment if you can before making a decision.

As for boots, not sure how it works renting for the season, and what your options will be, but I can't stress enough, don't go up in size because of width, only go up if the length is too short. If the width isn't right, switch to another boot or get the shop to stretch it if it's close. One company that tends to run fairly wide is Dalbello, could be a good place to start.

Not sure what demo opportunities are like where you ski but there are a lot of awesome mens/unisex skis out there as well.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bromont usually has a couple of Demo Days each season where the various ski companies come out and set up the tents at the base of the hill, and you can try out skis all day long. They haven't posted 2015-16's dates on their website yet, but keep an eye on it as they should be announced soon.

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
Wow so much info! :smile:

I do have monster calves (thanks for years of horse back riding and biking...) as for them being higher or not, I have no clue. From what I gathered though, the place I'll go, I'm choosing my gear and they fix the price, they have a big selection (from what they say, I haven't seen it yet) I checked other stores as well (both online and by visiting them) and I know I wont go to a few of them (it showed that the staff just wanted to make a buck)

Does most shop can adjust the boots? or just fitters?

It's very weird when you compare how overweight men who ask for advice are treated next to overweight women. Overweight men are also told they're overweight, but men don't seem to find it personally offensive when another man is overweight the way they seem to take offense at women being overweight. Anyway, you have come to the right place here. Welcome! We have all shapes and sizes, and the only requirement is that you enjoy skiing!

Meh, I don't particularly take offense, it's just annoying that some people will just go immediately ''fat nazi''. It's nothing constructive ''you need to lose weight''....well DUH, tell me something I don't know ;) took me a while to reach this state though. I think its more the mentality of ''you are fat, therefore you shouldn't exist'' and unfortunately it occurs more often than not...

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
Bromont usually has a couple of Demo Days each season where the various ski companies come out and set up the tents at the base of the hill, and you can try out skis all day long. They haven't posted 2015-16's dates on their website yet, but keep an eye on it as they should be announced soon.

OoooOoooo I will, do you know if other station has them too? (Orford?)

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think its more the mentality of ''you are fat, therefore you shouldn't exist'' and unfortunately it occurs more often than not...

People like that unfortunately exist everywhere. And they suck.

Luckily, the Ski Divas tend to be a pretty good body-positive group of women. We are all shapes and sizes (and ages and abilities) united by our love of skiing.

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
I wouldn't mind driving to check the demo that's for sure :smile: (we drive a lot for fun anyhow...)

Jilly

Staff member
First Tremblant demo day is December 12th...Atomic, Salomon, Dynastar, Rossi and maybe someone else. Those are the usual suspects. 2 others later in the season. Check other resort websites or the manufacturer's website for other places. All you need is your driver's license and maybe a credit card too. They don't charge for demo, but they want security that you will bring the skis back, so that's why the driver's license.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Most shops can sell you a boot and maybe fiddle with them a bit. Most shops will also put you in the wrong boot, and you'll ski in pain, or you'll be swimming in a boot that's too big for you. And being in a boot that's too big - it's not like wearing a shoe that's too big. Don't think of the ski boot as foot wear. The ski boot is a crucial part of the binding system that connects your body to the skis. If the boot isn't snug, your movements won't translate into ski movements. On the opposite side, if the boot is too snug or has other fit issues, you'll be in pain all day.

To get the right boot, you need a fitter - not a salesperson.

This is why many of us have our boot fitters on speed dial.

There are some signs that you should run away from the shop and go somewhere else. The number one sign: If they don't do a shell fit. In a shell fit, they take the liner (soft part) out of the shell (plastic part) and have you put your foot into the shell. They will have you push your toes all the way to the front and measure or eyeball the distance between your heel and the back of the boot.

If they don't do this - the bare minimum to get you into a boot that fits - please, please don't buy your boots there.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow so much info! :smile:

I do have monster calves (thanks for years of horse back riding and biking...) as for them being higher or not, I have no clue. From what I gathered though, the place I'll go, I'm choosing my gear and they fix the price, they have a big selection (from what they say, I haven't seen it yet) I checked other stores as well (both online and by visiting them) and I know I wont go to a few of them (it showed that the staff just wanted to make a buck)

If you are asking about adjusting rental boots, that doesn't happen. All you can do is change to a different pair of rental boots. Sometimes that's a reason to pay a little more and rent at the ski area instead of off mountain. Especially if the off mountain shop is more than 15-20 drive away. But off mountain shops are usually cheaper and may have better inventory.

The adjustments that have been mentioned are for boots that are purchased from a boot fitter. Also possible to have a boot adjust by a boot fitter that was bought elsewhere. For instance, I bought boots from a local boot fitter in the southeast. Ended up needing a little work done when I was on a ski trip out west, so paid something like $25. The shop at the resort had more capabilities then the little shop I bought them from and it wasn't really that close by in any case.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ To be honest, I've yet to find a boot fitter anywhere in the Montreal area who will do a proper shell fit. You have to insist.

Read all the threads in the Gearipedia forum and go in armed with knowledge. We aren't as lucky as the Divas in the US who have access to all these awesome bootfitters in their backyard. It takes a little more work to get the service you need around here.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where are you getting your season rentals from, by the way? If it's someplace like Poubelle du Ski, you're going to have to do a lot of work on your own to get anything resembling a decent fit, since they'll pretty much just hand you whatever they have lying around in your size.

Already, by opting for the right size (probably 27.5 instead of a 29.5) you'll be miles ahead of la foule. But you may have to do your own shell fit and gauge for yourself how things feel. Most of those places sadly won't provide much in the way of guidance or assistance.

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
I was thinking about going at Sport au puces since they have decent deals for new gear rental and possibility of credit if I end up buying before the end of the season (which might happen) but I was also looking at SkiTown.
Bromont is also another option but I'm not sure since it might be old stuff.

SkiTown as a warranty that it will fit, so that's good.

Do you know anywhere else that as seasonal rentals (between 250-280$)?

I'm going to have to do a lot of study and trial to find the right boot I'm afraid.

I was actually thinking about going at the states for my boots, to get a proper fitting. Or maybe try Austrian Ski shop.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To be honest, I don't know who does the best season rentals these days, since it's been a while since I've rented skis other than on vacation. I'd suggest anyplace with a fit guarantee, since it typically means you can go back and swap out your boots if they don't fit or are very painful after a couple of days in them. Just remember that your selection might be more limited after the season starts, so if they have a guarantee, ask how much stuff will be available in your size if you need to come back for a swap-out.

Paul at Austrian is okay -- he's a good guy and quite knowledgeable, though don't expect the same kind of service you'll read about in the Gearopedia thread. I usually go there for tune-ups and such, and he fit my latest boots for me without me even buying them there, which was nice of him. I know they do rentals, too, though I can't remember if they're just for kids or if they do adult season rentals too. You always could call and ask.

Going to the US might be an option if you can afford it. But it's good to have a local shop to work with if you're going to buy boots, since usually most fit issues only show up after you've skied in them a few times and you may find yourself needing to go back for adjustments. Most decent shops will guarantee your purchase for a year or so, so you can go back if you need for adjustments for free.

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
Alright I'll check with Sport au Puces if they have a guarantee.

Silly question (as I never even heard about boot fitting before) I assume it's not something we can do our selves (as in, special tools needed?)

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With experience and practice, you can get a decent idea yourself of whether a boot fits or not. But that's not the same as bootfitting, which is a specialized skill that requires not only equipment, but -- more importantly -- a lot of training and know-how.

Unfortunately there aren't any real specialized bootfitters in the Montreal area. Closest would probably be somewhere in Vermont. So we make do.

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
Ahahah, Quebecers always been resourceful ;)
just check our roads! and we're still alive :P

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahahah, Quebecers always been resourceful ;)
just check our roads! and we're still alive :P

Hahahaha. Yep. Though, really, we shouldn't be by now. It's cause we know how to adapt.

9a759f89acf7ef592ed0773b0e49f1f4.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga