• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Gear for a fat skier

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
So I did the mistake of doing some research about gear for an overweight skier (without posting first) on Google (so, other forums came out, obviously) and other than fat shaming that made me doubt for a second (then I said F*** them)

However, I still didn't have a good answer.

I'm 5'8'' and about 245 (at my recent heaviest) and have to lose around 65 pounds to reach my healthy weight goal (I got muscle mass) but been working on that.

I found a place that I can rent new skis for a okay price and they have a lot of choice.

So basically I want a ski that will support me but still give me control.

I'll mostly ski at the same place, in the evening so unless I'm wrong, it's going to be groomed, granular and some chopped powder... and if I remember well, some ice patches -_-; Very basic and not dreamy fluffy powder.

I have absolutely no idea what my level is now. If I remember correctly and use what I found as ''level'' I USED to be a solid level 8 (almost wrote 9, but you know... been so long, skied a lot in black diamonds, moguls and loved a challenge) Last time I skied (3 years ago) I didn't last long (early post pregnancy and wasn't in good shape at all) but still managed level 4 after a couple of slopes to get used to it.

I'm hopping I'll get back to a good 5 or 6 by the end of the season, maybe get a couple of private classes if needed. I'm pretty sure moguls are out of the question this year though (until I lose some weight, I don't want to ruin my already weak ankle, or my knees!)

One of the reason why I am renting this year is because next season, if everything goes as planned, I'll have shed a couple of pounds and be confident enough to get a more advanced gear when I buy them.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome, @Ashtoreth , your plan sounds right on. I have a feeling your level will return faster than you expect. Hang in there and have fun.

@Ashtoreth Welcome. My guy is an advanced skier and hadn't skied probably for the better part of 10 years and picked it up again 4 or so years ago and it came back fast. Sounds like you are on the right track. Think snow :smile:

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome! And yeah, Google is a terrible place to research just about anything. Ironic, isn't it?

I have skied at all sorts of weights -- fat, thin, you name it. It can make a difference in terms of your centre of gravity and the way you drive your turns. But the good news is that it shouldn't make a big difference in terms of your enjoyment of the sport.

If you had the technique last time you skied, it sounds like it will come back to you pretty easily. Also, if you haven't tried out the newer skis in a while, you might be surprised at how easy it is to turn on them compared to older skis. See if your rental place will allow you to demo a few different pairs before committing to a season-long rental, so you can try some out. Or look for demo days at your mountain where you can test out different skis.

Anyway, I don't have any specific advice but I want to offer lots of encouragement!

Jilly

Staff member
Skis are one thing, but I'm concerned about boots. Are you renting boots too?

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks everyone :smile: it helps not to be hunted down, but encouraged!

Jilly -
Yea, will rent boots (everything new though)
I have to make sure to get them sized properly, I have large feet so it will definitely be men boots as usual -_-; or unisexes. (I wear a size 11W in shoes, I think it makes me a 29.5 in ski gear, not sure though)

I also planned to pay more for a better pair if needed for my ankle. If I could afford it I would definitely buy them, but since I got to buy everything already (head to toes!) buying the ski gear isn't an option just yet. I rather save for better gear next year :smile:

Segacs - thanks! I know for sure I'll still love it as much as I did before, there's nothing like it! I also know I'll be dead after 1h on the first week, but that's another story ;)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So I did the mistake of doing some research about gear for an overweight skier (without posting first) on Google (so, other forums came out, obviously) and other than fat shaming that made me doubt for a second (then I said F*** them)

Some people suck, don't they?

I have no advice other than to demo, if you can. That's the best way to find the ski that best suits you.

Best of luck!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone :smile: it helps not to be hunted down, but encouraged!

Jilly -
Yea, will rent boots (everything new though)
I have to make sure to get them sized properly, I have large feet so it will definitely be men boots as usual -_-; or unisexes. (I wear a size 11W in shoes, I think it makes me a 29.5 in ski gear, not sure though)

I am a 9.5 (US) and a 24.5 in ski boots; granted, that is an aggressive fit, a 25.5 is more normal. You are going to be closer to a 27.5 -- don't even look at a 29, probably not even a 28! My son is a men's 13 and is in a 28.5 boot. It's possible you could even fit into a roomier 26.5 but that all depends on your foot.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree with Jilly that boots are the most important thing. Size 11W probably puts you at about a size 27.5, not 29.5. You may have made the same classic mistake as the rest of us of buying your boots too big. (Seriously, I'm a size 6 and I previously owned boots in 24.5 and 23.5 before finally realizing this season that I truly needed 22.5s. We all do it.) Luckily there are quite a few boots on the market that are made with wider lasts now, even in higher flex ratings. Don't be afraid to get a boot that feels much tighter and more snug than you're used to; it's supposed to be that way and will give you a ton more control over your skis.

Divas like to say "date your skis; marry your boots." They're right. I am hoping my latest pair of boots are it for me for the long term. But in any case, when you're ready to invest in your own gear, make boots the first purchase. You can continue to rent skis for a while as long as you have the right boots.

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
My biggest worries is the width of the fit. I know I can't wear any normal shoes so it will be tricky to find a good boot. I just hope I can find one that fit on lengths AND width.

Thanks though i'll check out the 27.5 :smile: and I'll definitely take that ''Date your skis, marry your boots'' advice and shop for them first :smile: maybe at the end of the season ;)
I do want them snug though!

My first pair of boots were too big which I learned is a common mistake. I am a size 8 or 8 1/2 shoe and if you just go by the chart that translates into a ski boot that's 25.0 or 25.5. However, my actual ski boot size is 23.5.

I would say try and get deals on the clothing to save money, do some demoing on skis to see what you like and if you can swing it to buy new ski boots then do it. Especially if after going to a boot fitter you find a pair that works with your feet, you can't put a price on that.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My biggest worries is the width of the fit. I know I can't wear any normal shoes so it will be tricky to find a good boot. I just hope I can find one that fit on lengths AND width.

Thanks though i'll check out the 27.5 :smile: and I'll definitely take that ''Date your skis, marry your boots'' advice and shop for them first :smile: maybe at the end of the season ;)

Best advice I can give you is to find a good boot fitter. It's tricky near us since most of the fitters in Montreal are kinda so-so; a lot of the advice you'll see on this thread is nice in theory, but I'll be damned if I can find anyone around here who actually follows it. (Read the thread anyway. It's informative.)

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-you-yes-you-need-a-boot-fitting.2075/

The shops I've worked with are Austrian Ski Shop on Monkland (ask for Paul), or Boutique du Ski Mont Habitant (ask for Neil). Both places are more shops than bootfitters, per se; they'll measure your foot, bring you a few pairs, have you try them on, ask how they fit. They can do some adjustments if need be. They won't give you the foot analysis or the shell fit or all the bells and whistles that a "real" bootfitter will do, but for Montreal, they're about as good as it gets.

Or, if you get that passport and manage to travel, there are some good options in Vermont / New England. The problem is that if you're not living near your boot fitter, it's hard to go back for adjustments.

The main thing I can say is, get as educated as you can so that you can be proactive about your fitting. Ask them questions. Don't just accept it when you try on a boot and they say that it fits. Take matters into your own hands and insist that they work harder to give you the right fit, not merely sell you the boot.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

The good news is that is generally much easier and cheaper to find a wider boot (especially in a large size) than a narrow boot, and it's also easier to make a boot bigger than smaller. Yes, you'll most likely be in a men's boot, but it should be fine, especially since you are tall.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And don't rule out women's boots either. There are quite a lot of them in 27.5s that are made wide. It might depend on your anatomy and, most importantly, the width and location of your calf muscle, whether you'll be better off in a women's or a men's boot. Try some different options and don't limit yourself.

And yeah, as someone with really narrow feet, I can attest to the fact that it's much easier to make a boot bigger than to make it smaller.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Second the boot fitter advice. I also have difficult feet and have trouble finding shoes, but I have a boot fitter who can work with all that.

I'm not sure if you will end up in a men's boot, because women tend to have lower calf muscles, so women's boots typically are shorter than men's, and that extra calf room can be really important for those of us who are short for our weight!

It's very weird when you compare how overweight men who ask for advice are treated next to overweight women. Overweight men are also told they're overweight, but men don't seem to find it personally offensive when another man is overweight the way they seem to take offense at women being overweight. Anyway, you have come to the right place here. Welcome! We have all shapes and sizes, and the only requirement is that you enjoy skiing!

alicie

Angel Diva
On the ski boot bit, my feet are uk 8(us 10.5 I think), I have 27.5 ski boots (they were widened a wee bit at the front), womens, I also have wide feet (stood up and drew round them and they are about 106-112mm ish, not really sure how wide that actually is though I have no issues with normal shoes) and massive calves. There were a few womens boots that fit me.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure if you will end up in a men's boot, because women tend to have lower calf muscles, so women's boots typically are shorter than men's, and that extra calf room can be really important for those of us who are short for our weight!

This is true, but she is 5'8", so might not be an issue.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When helping my friends or relatives rent gear in recent years, I finally realized that a good ski resort has boots from more than one brand. Even if all their rental skis are from the same brand. So it pays to keep trying different boots in the same mondo size since they can be very different in terms of cuff height, width, how packed out the liner is, etc.

Jilly

Staff member
Wide boots....Atomic Waymaker with Live Fit. And you'll notice that just about everyone is in a smaller boot than street size. Read through that Gearpedia thread. And go in armed and dangerous! Stay away from the Sport expert types.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna