• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Gear for a fat skier

Jilly

Staff member
OMG - that is so true.
As for boot fitters there are some in the northern part. Alex at Magasin de Place at Tremblant, JF at the Salomon shop in Tremblant. The guys at Ski Max in old Tremblant and Daniel Lachance, old Tremblant....but I'm skeptical there now after my experience. Not sure about the eastern townships. Another is Dinardo's in Ottawa. My boot fitter is based out of Gatineau, but for the winter he's in Whistler.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ All those are quality shops, but the guys who work there are really more boot sellers than boot fitters. Which is really okay for most people unless you have serious fit issues, to be honest. But just making the distinction.

Jilly, your guy who works out of Whistler sounds like a classic bona fide bootfitter.

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
I'm going tonight to skitown before all the good gear is out . I'll definitely check everything I can (and most likely will annoy the sales crew bwahahah)

What I like about my boot fitter is he's that a fitter not a seller pushing boots. Sure they sell boots but he told me that if the main issue I'm having with my boots is isolated to the toes in my right foot that he sees no reason why I can't keep my current boots and he can just majorly tweak them which he did. It would have been very easy for him to sell me a pair of $600 boots but he didn't, he didn't even try. I brought my current boots to him, didn't buy new boots and he did a proper fitting. He still spent near 3 hours with me and only charged me $60 for the "fitting" and then the cost of parts, etc. This is a true boot fitter in my mind. If you can find a guy/gal like this hang onto em.

@Ashtoreth Good luck tonight. Hopefully it will go well. Let us know!!!!

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
Yea I wish we had those around here! Seems to be rare in Quebec eheh

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just wanted to pop in with a word of encouragement. I recently lost 60 lbs (want to go down another 25) and I know how hard it is. However, even though I was already a pretty good skier losing the weight has made me much, much stronger and more confident. Feel free to ping me if you ever need support!

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I lost 50lbs this past year. But I have yet to see what sort of impact it will have on my skiing. So far, the major impact has been on my wallet, having to buy all new gear 'cause none of my old stuff fit anymore. I'm sure I'll have to re-learn things like balance or center of gravity, and I hope my increased activity level in the off-season will help me start the season off stronger than before. But I also know that being lighter might have some drawbacks, like being unable to flex my boots or get my skis up on edge as easily, or having to learn to finesse over rather than plough through the crud. So we'll see how it goes, eh?

The good news is that I loved skiing when I was 50lbs heavier. Skiing doesn't give a rat's ass how much you weigh; it just expects you to go out there and have a good time whatever size you are.

And I'll add my name to the list of people you can ping if you ever want a word of support or encouragement.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
And I lost 50lbs this past year.
Congrats! Out of curiosity, what was successful for you? I'm looking to take off 15-20.

The good news is that I loved skiing when I was 50lbs heavier. Skiing doesn't give a rat's ass how much you weigh; it just expects you to go out there and have a good time whatever size you are.

Yes!!! I love this about skiing!!! I see people of all shapes and sizes who are beautiful and technical proficient skiers!

Now climbing on the other hand... very strength-to-weight ratio dependent. Almost makes me wish ski season was all year long!!!

I don't want to hijack this thread -- not fair to OP. I can PM you if you like.

I would love to know also. My doctor told me she'd love me to take off 45 lbs and when I told her that wasn't happening we negotiated to 25lbs.

Maybe start a new thread?

Jenny

Angel Diva
^ To be honest, I've yet to find a boot fitter anywhere in the Montreal area who will do a proper shell fit. You have to insist.

Read all the threads in the Gearipedia forum and go in armed with knowledge. We aren't as lucky as the Divas in the US who have access to all these awesome bootfitters in their backyard. It takes a little more work to get the service you need around here.
It's only some places in the US. I actually got my boots when we were in Vermont. And then the first time I skied them was in Utah a few weeks later. Luckily, it worked out.

I envy all the people who can just plug n play with boots. Lucky!!!!!

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
it's ok :smile: I'm actually super happy to hear I'm not the only one who needs/lost weight, I have lost so far 20 pounds (not counting baby/water weight) but it's a slow process Most of the time the weight comes off then crawls back on, that's why now I mostly gave up on heavy weight loss targets, I just aim to be healthier in general and do what I love doing (aka Skiing and swimming)

Now I'm really happy! I got skis, boots and a jacket, a real jacket, not those in plus size store that looks like they will break at the first slope :smile:

but please PM me if you guys start a thread about the weight loss journey! :D

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hear you on the wallet thing! I'm definitely shopping deals and being very strategic about what I purchase, selling stuff when I can (thanks to he Divas who have purchased!) and have been the beneficiary of a couple of hand me downs.

Ashtoreth

Certified Ski Diva
I'll check deals and used gears here out once I'm more settled and comfortable in skiing again. I never minded to have used gears in anything (other than boots (ski or riding, and hats) other than this, I try to save where I can :smile:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, what skis and boots did you end up with, and what sizes???

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:welcome:
And oh how I wish that you hadn’t used that awful, 3-letter self-deprecating word. :frown: Even plus-size is less awful!

And about the boot sizing charts/conversions - forget them. There is SO MUCH MORE that goes into how ski boots fit (and properly) than what size street shoe you wear (for the record, I’m also an 11, which is almost hilarious given my other current dimensions). There is, obviously, length, but also instep height and volume, flexion angles - and all kinds of other technical stuff that’s beyond me.

But as to the 28-29 mondo? NO WAY. Even 27.5 could be way too big. I have low-volume feet, both measuring 257mm in length - and I am, at the LARGEST, a 26.0. 25.5, with some serious modifications. Not that you need or want to go through this rigorous process at this point (but hope you will eventually, as it is WORTH IT).

Therefore, be advised: the overwhelming majority of wherever you rent or buy, beyond top flight ski shops, is going to try to sell/give/rent you a boot that is TOO BIG. If it’s too big? It just ain’t gonna work. Too small can be fixed (or exchanged). Too big? Nope. Caveat emptor.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm your height and also need to lose weight. I definitely notice the difference now that I weigh 50 pounds more than I should. I've always used men's skis due to the size thing. But women's boots due to the weight thing.

It is really crucial to find a good bootfitter, not the "right shop", the right person, and make an appointment. You want them to spend time with you, not be rushed. Best time of the year is NOW, while the inventory is high and before the crowds hit. I can't help you with a name, because I'm not anywhere near Montreal. Read up on fitting before you go, even if it's to a recommended bootfitter, because most of the skiers out there don't know a good bootfitter from a bad one. So, word of mouth is just an indicator. It's your foot, and if you've spent some time reading up on the boot fitting process, you'll be better informed to walk out in spite of recommendations.

And remember, you're not walking in these boots, so you don't need room for the sole to bend. Your foot needs to be IMMOBILIZED because it's the primary tool you have for controlling the ski. If your heel or the wide part of the foot is shifting around, you're not controlling the ski. In addition, that lining is going to pack. In every direction. So, you want the boot after ten days to still be snug. And still snug after twenty days. Because liners aren't cheap. So, you're going to be going through some days not entirely in love with your boots. We don't want you black and blue or losing toenails, but we don't want you perfectly happy standing around in them at the bar later, either. SNUG. REALLY SNUG is the goal.

As for skis, stay away from noodles, but beyond that I have no recommendations, because it's a personal thing and most skis out there are good for someone. Just make sure the person recommending something is either an expert demoer or is shaped like you. I ski with women tinier than I and none of them like what I like.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga