• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DPS Phantom base treatment, how to avoid waxing recreational skis - Notes 2020

MissySki

Angel Diva
So it's interesting to note that of all the people who have commented on their Phantom experience, only @MissySki has had an issue, so far, and it sounds like she has had the most base grinds. Could be a factor, I'd imagine.

Also, for those who wax on top of Phantom, my understanding is that wax wears off very quickly, within a day or two, or even less, so except in unusually grabby conditions, does waxing on top of Phantom even make sense? Since the polymer in Phantom binds to the base of the skis and penetrates all throughout, it essentially changes the chemical makeup of the bases, so I'm definitely no expert on waxing, but from what I've read, it sounds to me like waxing to maintain the condition of the bases is no longer relevant, since you're dealing with a different base material altogether...? Just wanting to know what's best for my skis.
The guy who tunes my skis is adamant that waxing has protective qualities for the base that Phantom doesn’t. Again though, if you are skiing soft snow, certainly won’t be a factor as much as in New England.

My based were also only ground when necessary, ie they weren’t flat anymore. Which may or may not have been happening faster from not waxing, if you believe SkiMD.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Correct, bases treated with Phantom are actually different from an untreated base because the material has a different chemical composition.

The reasons to wax over Phantom bases include:

* skiing in frigid weather, with temps under 15 degrees or so
* skiing in very warm weather for optimal glide
* racing

In all these cases, the wax will wear off quickly. As is the case without Phantom. Most recreational skiers don't wax their skis after every ski day, or every few hours during spring skiing.

The glide for Phantom is equivalent to a good wax job with universal wax, not wax designed for special situations. A universal wax is considered "all-temperature." If you look at online shops selling wax for skis, you'll see different colors of wax based on what temperature range they are designed for. Tognar is a website and e-store that has been around for a long time.
Ok, thanks for that info. I've been here in TSV for 4 wks, skiing in temps as low as 5° F; so far have not had any issues with just the Phantom.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Ok, thanks for that info. I've been here in TSV for 4 wks, skiing in temps as low as 5° F; so far have not had any issues with just the Phantom.
Just to clarify my experience: I only ever had them waxed by the shop once in spring conditions. I did apply the quick wax after a couple of days, same trip, and I only ever noticed a problem on easier runs. It's probably also important to note that last year when I was at Okemo/Stowe, spring conditions were so bad I left early (I actually ended up twisting my knee on a mogul run that was definitely not moguls anymore. Slush was about 8" deep). I did not feel the need to wax them on that trip at all. I also have never had my bases ground, but that's likely because I'm not aware enough yet of what it feels like to need to have that done.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski tuner, who admittedly is not a fan of Phantom
Assuming you also got the email from SkiMD this morning? Did you read all the way to the bottom where he promotes his new Phantom set up? Kind of funny. And for anyone considering getting your skis phantomed in the Boston area, vs DIY, his price is good.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Assuming you also got the email from SkiMD this morning? Did you read all the way to the bottom where he promotes his new Phantom set up? Kind of funny. And for anyone considering getting your skis phantomed in the Boston area, vs DIY, his price is good.
Yeah, Mike just got the Phantom setup and he is excited to offer the treatment as a service. He told me he will be offering up a special price in the Spring for customers on the email list.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I did not see that, I’m actually not sure if I’m on an email list. But that is hilariously hypocritical given the VAST number of times he spoke ill of it continually EVERY time I ever brought my Sheeva 9s that are treated with Phantom to him. EVERY time he told me how awful it was for my bases. He legit told me that it ruined my bases last time I brought those in which is what prompted me to post about it after years of use.

I need to go see him soon, and have been thinking about doing Phantom on my Blazes.. so it’d be helpful that he does apply it now. But oh am I going to give him sh*t for all of it I got from him in the past and inquire on where the sudden change of heart came from!

MissySki

Angel Diva
When you do ask, let us know. I'm curious too!
Will do!!

I just emailed him about when I want to drop by, and asked if he could add me to the email list and that I heard he is going to be offering the Phantom application. Haha I wonder why I'm not on it, he definitely has my information and we have conversed by email a number of times in between visits.. Did you have to opt in on his site somewhere?

This season I feel like I am waxing SO MUCH, which has been what's made me think I wanted to do a Phantom application on the skis I use most. Because while it did seem that my Sheevas eventually lost their Phantom glide after years of tuning and my bases seemed very sensitive to everything at that point, for years it did seem to work great and I miss that on other skis now..

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think I had to opt in or anything, but maybe I did. I've been getting his spring and pre-season emails since 2021. If you want I can forward his "spring update" email to you, just send me a pm with your email.

In the meantime, here's a quote from the email:
. Please remember that at SkiMD, we only promote the very best products that complement our service. In other words, if it didn't truly work, and we don't fully believe in it, we wouldn't be selling it! Learn more about it at phantomglide.com.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I don't think I had to opt in or anything, but maybe I did. I've been getting his spring and pre-season emails since 2021. If you want I can forward his "spring update" email to you, just send me a pm with your email.

In the meantime, here's a quote from the email:
. Please remember that at SkiMD, we only promote the very best products that complement our service. In other words, if it didn't truly work, and we don't fully believe in it, we wouldn't be selling it! Learn more about it at phantomglide.com.
I will send you a pm.. thank you!

I am just beyond baffled at the flip in attitude on Phantom, I must say. I felt like I did the worst thing ever based on the discussions we had on it every time I went in. Mind boggling.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I just went to skimd.com …I don’t see that listed anywhere. Is he in Natick? I would be interested in having that done too.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I just went to skimd.com …I don’t see that listed anywhere. Is he in Natick? I would be interested in having that done too.
Do it yourself -- it's so easy to do, and saves you around $100 in application fees!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Do it yourself -- it's so easy to do, and saves you around $100 in application fees!
Depends. When a shop has a special going on, sometimes only $25-50 more to have it done at a shop using a Phantom Cure Station.

Some REI stores have a Cure Station.

I had my DPS fat skis done in SLC at Sports Loft since those skis stay out west. Brought them in Friday late afternoon and picked them up the next morning. Given that I intend to keep those skis for a while, was worth it for spring skiing at Alta when it might be powder in the morning and warm snow in the afternoon.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
If I had someone closeby, or even an rei, I'd have it done. It's really not an option for me, so I'll do it myself. These past few days would have been the perfect time to do it, too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The formula released in Fall 2022 to be used by ski shops with the Cure Station comes in a spray bottle. That makes it quite easy for shop techs. Spray, wipe a bit, put skis in the box, push the button, take out when done, a quick root-brush pass, good to go. Unlike earlier versions, this formula leaves treated skis looking like freshly waxed skis.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna