• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DPS Phantom base treatment, how to avoid waxing recreational skis - Notes 2020

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I just bought two packs to treat my and my kids gear. Fingers crossed it works! I feel like I’ve been waxing a lot this season too!
No worries --just follow the instructions, it's easy. I'm still happy with my Sheeva 9s that I treated two full seasons ago (with >30 days/season on them).

marzNC

Angel Diva
The latest detailed info about Phantom Glide I can find is this Blister video interview from Oct 2023. Shaun Spacht was hired to spearhead Phantom development and marketing a few years ago. He's the one in the DPS videos I've posted in this thread.

October 2023

TOPICS & TIMES
What is Phantom Glide? 00:00
How Does Phantom Glide Work? 4:50
Phantom’s Origins & Evolution 6:00
Latest Iterations of Phantom Glide 9:16
“Permanence, Performance, & Environment” 16:06
Combining Phantom w/ Modern Waxes
20:21

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
The latest detailed info about Phantom Glide I can find is this Blister video interview from Oct 2023. Shaun Spacht was hired to spearhead Phantom development and marketing a few years ago. He's the one in the DPS videos I've posted in this thread.
It's interesting to listen to him say that "we changed the name of the product from DIY to Single Application to help guide the customer in the right direction...", meaning that now that DPS is selling this fancy (probably expensive) curing cabinet to dealers, they want to help the dealers convince customers that they'll get a better result that way; while a couple of seconds later he brags that the DIY application "takes an hour in the sun" now. Marketing...

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I see there's both an at-home kit for $160 or a single application kit for $104. Are the extra polishing pads in the base care kit worthwhile? The video I watched said you can just use isopropyl alcohol to prep for application.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I see there's both an at-home kit for $160 or a single application kit for $104. Are the extra polishing pads in the base care kit worthwhile? The video I watched said you can just use isopropyl alcohol to prep for application.
Yes, or Blue Dawn also, or both.You just want to get any old wax and gunk off the bases, so the Phantom can penetrate directly into the base. I used both, and rubbed them lightly with a 3M light abrasive pad. Also, you do want to make sure you have good base structure, they're flat, etc. If you've been skiing on them quite a bit you might want to get a base grind before application. My skis were pretty new, so I just went with cleaning them.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's interesting to listen to him say that "we changed the name of the product from DIY to Single Application to help guide the customer in the right direction...", meaning that now that DPS is selling this fancy (probably expensive) curing cabinet to dealers, they want to help the dealers convince customers that they'll get a better result that way; while a couple of seconds later he brags that the DIY application "takes an hour in the sun" now. Marketing...
The Cure Station is not new. It was introduced during the 2018-19 season. They are made in SLC so not exactly mass production. The small independent ski shop at Massanutten was interested in getting one, but they were told that their volume would be too low to justify one.

What changed in recent years is that DPS chose to hire a dedicated manager for Phantom as a "stand alone" product in 2020. Shaun Spacht has stuck with it for over three years at this point.

You might be surprised how many ski shop techs in the east have never heard of DPS as a ski company. Never mind Phantom Glide. The original Kickstarter in 2018 had about 2000 people who pledged over $200K for the first version. That required 3 hours in the sun for Part A and Part B. The improvements in the Phantom for DIY and shop application since then have been significant.

Note that Aspen Ski Co. has been treating all their demo skis with Phantom since 2018. May have started doing their rental fleet too but I'm not sure about that.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I realize the cure station isn't new, but they're obviously trying to market them to ski shops, and to get them to sell Phantom they're giving them a way to try to sell the customers on a "professional application" as being better than a DIY application, which is a change in tune somewhat from their earlier, direct-to-consumer marketing. They're showing the ski shops how they can increase their profit margin by selling a service that is essentially free to them, once the cure station has paid for itself. After all, if ski shops are going to lose their repeat waxing business, DPS has to give them a reason to sell Phantom, or at least to stop bad-mouthing it.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing -- all small businesses have to make a living -- it's just an observation. :wink:
If someone wants to pay for the cure station service because they don't want to do it themself, that's fine. I'm just noting that consumers should be aware that they can do just as good a job themselves, and that ski shops have a vested interest in selling the "professional application."

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not saying it's a bad thing -- all small businesses have to make a living -- it's just an observation. :wink:
If someone wants to pay for the cure station service because they don't want to do it themself, that's fine. I'm just noting that consumers should be aware that they can do just as good a job themselves, and that ski shops have a vested interest in selling the "professional application."
It's the same as DIY vs store waxing. I used to just go to REI because it was cheap and convenient. My local REI stopped servicing skis entirely, so I learned to DIY. The only reason I haven't gotten around to Phantom yet (especially with the new single-step process) is I'm not sure which skis I'm keeping!

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I realize the cure station isn't new, but they're obviously trying to market them to ski shops, and to get them to sell Phantom they're giving them a way to try to sell the customers on a "professional application" as being better than a DIY application, which is a change in tune somewhat from their earlier, direct-to-consumer marketing. They're showing the ski shops how they can increase their profit margin by selling a service that is essentially free to them, once the cure station has paid for itself. After all, if ski shops are going to lose their repeat waxing business, DPS has to give them a reason to sell Phantom, or at least to stop bad-mouthing it.

And it’s fairly easy now right? How long is it on sale for?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After all, if ski shops are going to lose their repeat waxing business, DPS has to give them a reason to sell Phantom, or at least to stop bad-mouthing it
I wouldn't be surprised if SkiMD still advises Phantom customers to keep getting skis waxed to nourish the bases and keep them from drying out. I do still wax mine when they look dry, I just don't do it for glide. TBH I don't think his average customer brings skis in for basic waxing, but more for the big stuff. I'm guessing many of his devotees do their own waxing, and some also basic edge care. So for him offering Phantom won't necessarily be taking away many wax customers, but it will add base grinds.

Seaglass Skier

Certified Ski Diva
Ok, thanks for that info. I've been here in TSV for 4 wks, skiing in temps as low as 5° F; so far have not had any issues with just the Phantom.
How did the rest of the season work out for you only using Phantom? My home mountain is TSV and just ordered my first skis to be treated with Phantom. Wondering if I need to pick up any waxing equipment.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My go-to shop in Mammoth offers a $30 "Future Wax", which I believe is infrared hot waxing. The technology apparently does this:

"The wax penetrates particularly deeply into the base and lasts significantly longer. Skiers or snowboarders benefit from optimal gliding properties on the slopes for 4 to 5 full days of skiing."

My skis have one day of skiing on them with this treatment, and there will be 1-3 more days, so I can report back later.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well Phantom works wonderfully in EVERYTHING but sticky snow for me. Same for you guys too right? Just double checking that it's not just me and something is wrong with my wax.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well Phantom works wonderfully in EVERYTHING but sticky snow for me. Same for you guys too right? Just double checking that it's not just me and something is wrong with my wax.
I love my skis in warm, soft snow in the west in April. I did a direct comparison between two pairs of my own skis two springs in a row, one pair with good warm weather wax and another with earlier versions of Phantom. I found that I had a much better time with the Phantom skis when the temps were in the 40s or higher. After that, I've put Phantom on all my skis. Usually DIY.

For the powder skis that stay out west, I had Phantom applied at a ski shop in SLC. I did the powder skis for spring days at Alta where there is still powder up high in the morning but warm snow down low in the afternoon. I don't use those skis that much, but like not having to remember when they were last waxed.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had trouble one day when the snow was extra cold. Spring is generally ok.
I love my skis in warm, soft snow in the west in April. I did a direct comparison between two pairs of my own skis two springs in a row, one pair with good warm weather wax and another with earlier versions of Phantom. I found that I had a much better time with the Phantom skis when the temps were in the 40s or higher. After that, I've put Phantom on all my skis. Usually DIY.

For the powder skis that stay out west, I had Phantom applied at a ski shop in SLC. I did the powder skis for spring days at Alta where there is still powder up high in the morning but warm snow down low in the afternoon. I don't use those skis that much, but like not having to remember when they were last waxed.

So you guys don't feel sticky snow at all? Hmmmm. I need to check my bases, though I'm not sure how to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna