• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DPS Phantom base treatment, how to avoid waxing recreational skis - Notes 2020

marzNC

Angel Diva
The first pair of skis that I did DIY Phantom, Version 1.0, are the skis I use in the east, meaning mostly in the southeast but there were a few seasons I skied 10-15 days in the northeast. As of the end of the fourth season, I've skied on them about 100 days. Most of those days didn't included that many hours on snow, but it was almost always on manmade snow. Some days were very warm, and others were very cold.

The early marketing implied that Phantom made sense for skis that were going to be used for at least three seasons.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Are you still happy with Phantom ?
Yep. Have Phantom on all my skis. Have ended up with three pairs, partially because I ski in more than one region.

I haven't added Phantom to the powder skis I bought used a few years ago. But after using them in Wolf Creek in December, I might treat them after all. There was plenty of powder in the trees but I was moving on the slow side on the skier-packed groomers and cat tracks. Don't use those skis often enough to remember when the last time I had them waxed. They live in NM with a ski buddy so never make it to my house where I could wax them myself.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just used my old BPs (2012 version) at Massanutten in hot weather, meaning low 70s. Oddly enough the base on the core trails was deep enough to ski better than expected. But very glad I had Phantom on the bases so that the small patches of sticky snow that appeared really didn't matter. I had the BPs stone ground a couple years ago. They are skiing that much better since the Phantom goes all the way through and now the bases are in great shape.

I no longer have the first skis I treated (long story). I used them for over 100 days after Phantom DIY with the original 2-packet 3-hour treatment. Almost all those days were on manmade snow. Clearly worth the investment.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
This process is definitely on my list for the summer. I’ve found that I need waxing about every 3 outings. That’s a LOT. We’ll have 4 pairs for me to Phantom this summer. better that than scraping in 15 degree weather next winter…

marzNC

Angel Diva
This process is definitely on my list for the summer. I’ve found that I need waxing about every 3 outings. That’s a LOT. We’ll have 4 pairs for me to Phantom this summer. better that than scraping in 15 degree weather next winter…
Don't know about the current packaging, but back when there were two packets, I managed to stretch two kits in order to do three pairs of skis on the same sunny day. Helped that my daughter and I are petite so the skis were all under 160cm. Nothing wider than 88mm.

One kit is more than enough for one pair of powder skis or one snowboard.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Only selling single applications. shortest skis are 140, then mine at 163 (88mm), then son at 170 and husband at 180 (94 mm)

MAYBE 3 packets? But ooooof. But the 15 degree scraping is motivational.

mustski

Angel Diva
Ordered a new pair of skis (Kästle DX85 unisex at 176cm) after a successful demo at Alpine during Diva West... and am getting the Phantom applied by the shop because I can't imagine a reason I wouldn't want it.
I love my Kästles! Give us a review after you ski them a few times.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's the concise description of Phantom from DPS for the late May 2022 sale. The glide is similar to a good universal wax, which is just fine for recreational skiers who aren't interested in racing or having a home set up for DIY waxing.

I've been using skis with Phantom for several years. Even opted to have it applied to my powder skis that stay out west at my primary ski buddy's house during the last late season trip to SLC. Since I regularly ski at Alta in April, I figured there might be times that having wider skis with Phantom could be handy. I have had lots of fun in recent year using other skis treated with Phantom during warm afternoons when most people staying at Alta Lodge had given up because of the snow conditions in temps over 40 at the base

From eBlast on May 24, 2022:
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 3.15.19 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
If you are still interested in treating the family skis with Phantom, the big sale ends this Friday, May 27.

Skis that are treated with Phantom can still benefit from a layer of wax over the summer, although more to keep moisture away from the metal edges than for keeping the bases from drying out. Of course, whether or not it's worth the effort depends on where skis are stored and if someone has stuff at home for a quick waxing.

For folks who missed the post, here are some comments from Divas in Boston from 2019 after a few ski shops got Cure Stations so that the DIY process wasn't the only option.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:

Wondering if people are still happy with their Phantom wax? My shop offers a discount if it's done on new skis.
Yes, very happy. I have Phantom Glide on all my skis. That includes the skis I only use at big mountains in the Rockies because it helps during late season. I used the first pair of skis I put Phantom on for over 100 days. That was in the east. In that region I would normally have been waxing at home or by paying a shop every 2-3 days of skiing if I'd wanted to keep the bases sliding well. Manmade snow tends to scrape off traditional wax pretty quickly.

Please note that Phantom Glide is not "wax" at all.

The more recent thread is here:

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I have had Phantom on my Sheeva 9s for 4 seasons now, and have skied the ski as my mostly daily driver for 5 seasons. Before recently it seemed great. However, this season I noticed that my expected glide wasn’t there and my bases were looking especially bad. My ski tuner, who admittedly is not a fan of Phantom, told me that my bases have base burn and are also deteriorating near the edges where it takes all of the pressure when we ski. His hypothesis is that this wear is being seen due to my not waxing because while Phantom can keep your glide going it doesn’t provide any protection to your bases the way regular waxing does. I don’t know what to think, other than yes this season I had finally noticed an issue with glide too. I have to trust a professional’s assessment of base deterioration since I don’t really know how to make that assessment myself.

I know Phantom is supposed to penetrate the entire base depth, but I wonder if that is not completely true and whether I’ve had enough base grinds now that we got through the Phantom. Given my loss of glide without wax now. I have a lot of days on these skis, and I ski in the East so it is usually rough snow. I had my Phantom professionally applied. Will I continue to use Phantom on skis in the future? I’m not sure.. I might but also wax for the protective qualities. I figure then I can perhaps still go longer between waxing, but not just give it up altogether. I dunno yet.

Wanted to add my experience since it’s a somewhat new development this season versus my previous reviews of Phantom.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna