• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

"Divas on the Mend" updates

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thinking of you, hoodgirl!!!!!!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
++++ Vibes++++ to hoodgirl!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Please let us know how you are, when you can get back online and report in. There are others who are awaiting similar procedure and probably would love to hear your feedback: good, bad and ugly.

Here's hoping you're doing well, Hoodgirl! I'll be thinking of you! :D

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hoodgirl is all fixed, posted in DOD/Other stuff/Thirsty.
So glad to read that she is all done w/the surgery!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally get my full elbow cast off tomorrow and get my wrist cast. Oh how fabulous it will be to bend my elbow again! Three more weeks and I'm a free woman with a withered left arm. :D

Anyone have experience with wrist/elbow rehab? I remember going through this when I was 16, and it seemed like it took a really long time to get my wrist ROM back.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's great news! I have only done rehab for tendonitis in my arm, so no help on the rehab there, but I think you will do fine with your determination. Good luck, get out there and make some turns, the spring snow beckons.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Anyone have experience with wrist/elbow rehab? I remember going through this when I was 16, and it seemed like it took a really long time to get my wrist ROM back.
Shoot a pm to sibhusky. She broke both hers last year, rough story.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just did another round of pt, with the neuro-muscular retraining bit -- which I don't begin to understand, but whatever it takes. Right knee VMO back to 75% strength, which apparently is good (?? :noidea: ). Had a lot of atrophy post-dual LCL sprains, working hard to get it back. Best exercise for VMO is----ready?-----SKIING. Okay, I'll go work out my knee tomorrow. Will be SIXTY up at the mountain -- now if THAT doesn't soften the snow, I don't know what will!! :D

I love it: RX - go skiing.
Works for me!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^ Actually, it's the physical therapist, and I just can't believe how many skiers he treats. This guy KNOWS KNEES. He's trying trying trying to convince me to take up tele, as he said it's actually easier on the knees (much harder on the quads, though) - which is what he does.

One of my primary exercises is "sitting" up against a wall, for long periods of time (wish I could be on the computer in that position!!). So that's how I watch the news and weather.

BTW, my patella misalignment happened many, many years ago from what I thought was a rather minor ligament sprain. I therefore did not properly rehab it. That's when the kneecap went "off center." Took it about 30 years to start grinding like an SOB - and that's bone wear. And that's BAD. (medical term for it is chondromalacia, a "catch phrase" for knee wear and tear)

Advice to anyone who has hurt their knee, no matter how trivial it might seem: GO TO THE DOCTOR. GET REFERRAL (or self-refer if possible) TO PHYSICAL THERAPY.

Here I am again, your living example (as with sun exposure) of what NOT to do....:rolleyes:

Fortunately, if I work hard enough (SKI? :becky: ), this can be retrained and remedied. Didn't have to happen if I'd taken care of it properly way back when.

Live and learn...

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally get my full elbow cast off tomorrow and get my wrist cast. Oh how fabulous it will be to bend my elbow again! Three more weeks and I'm a free woman with a withered left arm. :D

I am still in rehab for my left wrist after 10 months of therapy. My left hand was dangling off my arm though, so maybe it won't be as bad for you. My right one is fine now and was fine months ago. The left elbow was also an issue and didn't look like it was going to ever come back. I just realized yesterday that at some point this winter it straightened out. Must have been the skiing!

I made the mistake of not complaining about the pain the cast was causing me. I thought it came with the territory, but apparently it caused me not to move my fingers and things started to atrophy as a result. All the joints in my left hand started to enlarge and become unmoving. Been working with a hand therapist regularly since last May.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Almost done with PT! 3 more sessions, then I go back to the orthopedist on 4/29. The therapist has been quite impressed with how well my knee is progressing. Regaining strength steadily with no stability issues. Been throwing more and more challenges at it, between skiing twice, walking up to 4 miles on flat land (with a 23 lb kid on my back and pushing a 20lb stroller with a 45 lb kid in it) and last weekend I hiked a gravel path in the woods that's quite hilly while wearing my 23 lb kiddo on my back. The therapist feels I'm up to trying out riding my bike on the bike path now. I won't pull the trailer yet, but step by step I'll get there.

My therapist is a runner not a skier. But we talked about that today as I had originally planned on doing the couch-to-5K training program this year. He felt that once my knee was given a clean bill of health, there's no reason why I can't do it. He knows of many runners who have no ACL anymore and do fine. I was worried about it being high impact, but it may not be a problem. :smile:

hoodgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi ladies! I know I have been MIA this week but I went to see my Ortho today and thought I would report in.... it's been tough being on no activity level and having nothing to do (well, I have made some beautiful necklaces and embroidered some cute burp cloths for my prego little sister) I would have checked in earlier but I was so GRUMPY.... DH was getting pretty tired of my self pity, internet hypochondriac attitude.:rolleyes:
Anywho....so I saw Dr. today and he took away my brace and gave me the all clear to do some extension and flexion exercises and start walking. I get to start PT again next week which I am pumped about. I looove my PT, she's a telemarker and an all around awesome woman. Oooh, I took my first shower in a week last night... that was pure heaven.
I only have bad pain at night, which I guess is pretty standard. After hobbling around today my ankle swelled a little, is this pretty standard after ACL surgery?
I am feeling better today:yahoo: :dance: this makes me happy.
Thanks for being so supportive divas!:love: :love:

sorry about all of the smilies.:laugh:
hoodgirl

hoodgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I forgot to add...if any of you waiting for ACL surgery want to know ANYTHING.... just PM me and I will help as best I can.
I am only a week post op but the first week is packed full of stuff.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Went to the orthopedist today. I've graduated from PT but he did say that with the nature of the injury I have, it could be up to 6 months before it feels right again. (I've been having some intermittant soreness since my fall at Mt. Snow a couple weeks ago.) He said that with what he saw on the MRI, there were some things that would either get better or worse (news to me!) and so we have to keep an eye on that. So I have a follow up scheduled for 6 weeks which I am free to cancel if the knee feels good then. I was advised to take ibuprofen and ice at Abasin (his first skiing trip out West was also at Abasin, so he understands :D), and expect soreness. Go easy. It should be okay.

I'm thinking the injury may have been more serious than he led on originally, but it sounds like it should be okay in the long run.

Glad to hear the news Severine. As a mom, I totally understand what a big deal your trip to A-Basin is and I'm really glad you'll be able to go and know you'll be attentive to your limits.

And Hoodgirl, that sounds like a rough week! Also, your body is still letting go of the anethesia. All of this is enough to make anyone depressed. I had some tough post op days myself. I felt so much better 3+ weeks post op. Now that you're beginning to get up and about, you'll start recovering much faster. No shower for a week? That much have been very trying.

You go divas! :thumbsup:

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:yahoo: :yahoo:

I've been meaning to post this since I saw my orthopedic last week, but I've been crazy busy.

I'm healed! My bone has been deemed completely 'good to go.' Sooooo, I've gone from being told not to lift any weight with my left arm, to being told I can do whatever I want! I quizzed my doctor..."you mean I can go mountain biking?" "Yes." "I can go white water rafting?" "You sure can." "I can get on my motorcycle?" With a slight chuckle, "sure."

I'm elated and now can no longer feel guilty for using my left arm far more than approved by my doctor. He was also pleasantly surprised how much ROM I already have back. So, I just need to continue working on getting back full ROM, but I can ski again! (Too bad the mountain is closed.) And I just wish I didn't have to live with this friggin' plate in my arm for the rest of my life...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna