• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

"Divas on the Mend" updates

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad to hear many divas are healing up!

I just got in from an evening with the ortho. Surgery tentatively set for late April/(hopefully not) early May, I'll be seeing him again April 9th to check in and set the date. He put me on crutches and told me to reduce my walking and strain (grumble, grumble), but got me started with some exercises and told me to hit the stationary bike to stave off atrophy.

It took a while to find the right match, but I'm quite happy with him and his practice. I like to make sure I can vibe well with a doctor because I like to ask a lot of questions, find out everything I can, and be able to be honest with them about what orders I'd like to not follow, and whether or not that'd be okay in a realistic sense.

Since it's going to be a while before surgery, maybe I should schedule one of the oral surgeries I still need from my car crash last spring, so I don't have to deal with it during recovery or shortly after. We'll see, I have a tendency to shrug off things that don't get in the way of walking, especially since the car insurance companies still haven't settled yet! I'm not convinced they every will, but who knows, maybe 15 years down the line I'll get a check for my accident related medical bills.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Made it through the MRI yesterday without freaking out (though I did have a couple moments of panic). The verdict? Fluid behind the knee, bruised bones, and a partially torn ACL. Meniscus appears to be intact. The orthopedist was quite surprised. Since it's only partially torn, we're going with PT for now. He's had good luck in the past with similar injuries and therefore has high hopes that will be all I need, especially since I'm not having instability issues.

The earliest I could get in for my first PT is next Wed. Then I'll go 2-3 times a week for 4 weeks, with a follow up in 6 weeks.

I did ask about skiing (because it's been 4.5 weeks now and it looks like the local ski hill is on the verge of closing). He laughed and said that if I felt up to it, I could try some easy stuff. Didn't feel I needed a brace since I haven't had instability but I'm to call him right away if I have any problems.

Could have been worse, right? I'm just happy he's not jumping to put me under the knife. :D

NannyMin

Banned
Health Update . . .

Saw surgeon today. Lupron did it's job and the surgery should be smoother and go more quickly. Side effects of Lupron should subside in 2 1/2 weeks (week of surgery) and am now doing reverse hormone therapy for my negative Lupron symptoms. Oy vay. I should be happy in about 3 more days. :loco:

Am skiing tomorrow with DH at Stratton, will check out the US Open Snowboarding dudes (and dudettes). It's all good.

It's a good thing the Lupron worked after all you've put up with! Crossing my fingers for you that the reverse hormone therapy works quickly and without any side effects. Have a great day skiing!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been trying to avoid this thread. I really don't want to know about all the injuries and health issues..........I'd rather stick my head in the sand and pretend that all the divas are hitting the slops and hucking cliffs!!

Heal well all!
Now, can I go back to my fantasy world?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'd rather stick my head in the sand and pretend that all the divas are hitting the slops
Then stay tuned. I should be hitting the slops about the 3rd week of April!
:ROTF:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
num and Severine, really glad to read your updates, though some of it isn't wonderful news....the big thing about ACL reconstruction is just to get the show on the road. It's hard to believe that a knee can physically become stronger afterward, but it CAN.

Severine, this is good news indeed. Okay, well, not so much a partial tear, but the fact that you can get back on track with PT. Which can absolutely and totally work wonders. Bone bruises take awhile to resolve. This could very well be the source of your continuing pain.

snwl, anxiously awaiting your ski day report!
:smile:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
num and Severine, really glad to read your updates, though some of it isn't wonderful news....the big thing about ACL reconstruction is just to get the show on the road. It's hard to believe that a knee can physically become stronger afterward, but it CAN.

Severine, this is good news indeed. Okay, well, not so much a partial tear, but the fact that you can get back on track with PT. Which can absolutely and totally work wonders. Bone bruises take awhile to resolve. This could very well be the source of your continuing pain.

snwl, anxiously awaiting your ski day report!
:smile:

X2! I'm glad to read of those on the mend and those with mending in their future :becky:

It's Crossing my fingers for you that the reverse hormone therapy works quickly and without any side effects.

So far the side effects of the reverse hormone therapy, a/k/a Premarin, seem to be:

A big smile on my face.
An irresistible urge to smooch my hubby.
A desire to ski at mach speed (TR to be posted shortly).

:D

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
So far the side effects of the reverse hormone therapy, a/k/a Premarin, seem to be:

A big smile on my face.

Told ya! :wink:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

A big smile on my face.

call me crazy, but I think I'm taking the WRONG stuff! (my "stuff" makes me want to KILL my spouse! LOL)

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

A big smile on my face.

Sounds good to me! :D

Glad so many divas are on the mend.

MSL - it must be the bone bruises causing the pain. Sucks, too. I'm still trying to find a way to ski soon. Got to test out my new Joyriders and boots! Though now I'm afraid that if I'm not careful, I could turn a partial tear into a full one.... :fear:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
MSL - it must be the bone bruises causing the pain. Sucks, too. I'm still trying to find a way to ski soon. Got to test out my new Joyriders and boots! Though now I'm afraid that if I'm not careful, I could turn a partial tear into a full one.... :fear:
Yep. I think I mentioned this somewhere. I had a big crash early in the season and worried that I bruised my hip socket. In reading about and researching it, wow, yes, bone bruises can take up to 6 months to settle :eek: - this might well be the cause of the fluid also.

Oh my, do please be careful if you venture out again. Really think it's worth it??? :noidea:

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep. I think I mentioned this somewhere. I had a big crash early in the season and worried that I bruised my hip socket. In reading about and researching it, wow, yes, bone bruises can take up to 6 months to settle :eek: - this might well be the cause of the fluid also.

My DH had a huge crash in the terrain park, and I'm fairly convinced he badly bruised his hip socket. The x-rays showed no break, but it's been two and a half weeks and he still walks like a pained gimp. He never got bruised externally, but whenever he describes his pain, it's like a dull but sometimes sharp pain deep in his hip joint. I don't dare tell him this info MSL...first, he'll never believe me about the healing time...second, if he did actually believe me, I'd have a 'baby' milking it for everything for about five more months. :wink:

As for me, boy did I get a reality check yesterday. Someone in town (an acquaintance of my husband's) has exactly the same fracture I do (and got it around the same time as me), but also dislocated. For whatever reason, her shoulder did collapse (as my surgeon warned me mine could), and she had to go back into surgery yesterday. I'LL BE GOOD...I PROMISE! I don't need no more stinkin' surgery!!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I was so annoyed by the length of time that I was hurting that I started googling this - which is where I got all the info about the length of healing time for bone bruises. Not even remotely close to, say, a soft tissue bruise. Wow, ow, hope he takes it easy and feels better soon!!

As for you, yeah, it always is motivating to see someone dealing with the forewarned possibilities for yourself :eek: Serious, nasty stuff, and the shoulder has the widest range of motion of all our joints. You need it, it needs you. Take care of it.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First PT appointment was today. It went pretty well. (Forgive my watered down version... not so hip to all the medical lingo. :wink:) Kneecap is tight now but he said that's normal. Clicking should go away with time. He did an exam, we talked about my injury, what other activities I do, he showed me my homework :D, I did 5 min on stationary bike... a couple exercises on the fitter. Then we discussed other things I could do (like walking on level ground was highly encouraged, which is something I started doing this week). He asked about the skiing and we discussed my orthopedist's opinion on it. The therapist didn't seem as keen on me going out and skiing, but I think he was more concerned about me being able to, not necessarily making the injury worse. He also didn't seem to think it was a good idea to return to work (I wanted to this weekend as it's probably the last for the season). It's the combo of standing for a long time as well as having to move around on an unstable surface (the snow while scanning lift tickets) that made him leery. Still, he did say it's only the one weekend. I'm not sure what I'll do about it yet. Hubby is fully willing to cover my shifts again if I want.

I go back Mon for the 2nd of a total of 10 appts. Have to do my homework twice a day in the meantime. And I was advised to use a stationary bike if I can get access to one (which I don't currently but I'm hoping to score one on freecycle). I was told to NOT ride my bike as a substitute. LOL! So this is where I stand. April 29th is my follow-up with the orthopedist to see how it's gone after the PT. Hoping all will be well then so I won't miss bike season this year (like I did last year due to pregnancy and then a broken foot).

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^ Glad to hear it went well and that you are dialed in. Seems like all of us get the stationary bike recommendation! (Now, if only bike seats didn't squish my sciatic nerve!!! OW.) Be vigilant with those exercises---not that hard to do and plenty beneficial. I've taken to watching the evening news in the "wall-sit" position (which I have to gradually lower for stance).
Knees........troublesome joint....

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right now I'm mostly doing stretches or easy strengthening (side-lying hip abduction, side-lying hip adduction, straight leg raise, prone hip extension, terminal knee extension,and tensor stretch). But I know he said he'll be adding more difficult stuff next time.

We don't really have the space for a stationary bike so I don't want to buy one; but I wouldn't turn down a free one. :D It seems like that's been recommended for everyone I know who's had a knee injury this winter.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Good luck, Hoodgirl

ACL surgery today - please update us and let us know how you are doing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna