• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

"Divas on the Mend" updates

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I thought this might be a good idea. I'm starting to lose track of stuff, and there are a lot of threads. Maybe we could use this to update each other on how we're doing with whatever health/injury status we've got going, including other family members. I feel like I'm dropping the ball with regard to following up on people. Such as:
NannyMin -- how are things going for you?
NVG - how's DDH?
TellSB -- how's the shoulder?
snwl -- counting down the days?
And many others....knees: num, Severine....me...

We can use this to discuss, but if someone has an update, note it in title. This way, we'll keep everyone else updated as well. Just a thought, not sure how good it is?? I'll start w/first post.
MSL

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
update

Planning to make my first EASY turns this coming Tuesday!! :yahoo: With the blessing of physical therapy, who said 3 weeks from date of incident.

Feeling more on the stiff side than anything else. Time to start contemplating what kind of knee supports to wear. Forecast looks sunny and warm, and we're getting snow up here today. Can't wait. But will have to "rein myself in."

Hope to hear from others!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
sibhusky

I returned to skiing this year after breaking both wrists and rattling my head something fierce hitting a tree last March. I was determined to do it and feared my family making an issue of it. The recovery had been terrible due to nerve damage which had me in pain for MONTHS before it was under control. I basically "lost" seven months of my life.

So, started out tentatively, wearing a wrist band on the left one, but using poles. It took 17 days before I felt I'd moved from "trying to ski" to "skiing". But, now I feel I am almost "back". I still haven't hit all the black trails I used to go on, but did hit a couple new ones so maybe that balances out a bit. Did not do near as many blacks as normal (even though I got hurt on a green, it was a tree and the blacks have lots of TREES on them...), but I am now over the panic phase. I think my skiing has actually IMPROVED a bit as I've been focusing on control a lot. My average vertical per day is down about 3-4,000 feet a day, though, due to the fact that I got a slow start after sitting on my butt all last summer. I still haven't had a 40,000 day as I am leaving if at all tired (even though that wasn't a factor) or if the snow is too "iffy".

Next year I'll put myself back on "full duty".

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw my orthopedic on Thursday. He says I'm right on track for where I should be at this point. That's the good news. The less than good news is I'm not cleared for any 'active' motion for at least six more weeks. Ugh. He also told me I'm moving the arm too much and I need to back off. Double ugh. The harsh reality is I have a very complicated break and if I put too much pressure on the plate (via active ROM), my shoulder could collapse and (in my doctor's words), "that would be very ugly." So, I'm trying to be a good girl and limit the use of my arm outside of my exercises. And, I've resigned myself to not skiing any more this year. (So much for my last Saturday of the season fantasy.) He also told me to back off on PT for the time being (down to 1x/week from my current 3x/week) so I don't use up all of my insurance covered sessions before I'm cleared for active. He's right of course...I just need to be really diligent about doing my exercises.

All in all, I'm doing well...it's just frustrating I can't do more.

Great to hear the progress report from MSL, sibhusky, and TSB.

I have been very sick from the Lupron that my surgeon prescribed and I am very uncomfortable with the size of my belly. I'm constantly exhausted, somewhat confused at times (missing turn offs when I'm driving, forgetting what I'm supposed to be doing for a moment), dealing with intense hot flashes sometimes 2-3 an hour, have very disrupted sleep, and feel sad a lot. Frankly, the only time I feel good is when I'm skiing! Fortunately I have a few days left to ski and some snow is in the 10-day forecast around these parts, so I plan to get out there and make some tracks, taking it easy if I need to.

So far I seem to function pretty well at the office, and fortunately I have a pretty mellow next 3 weeks, even though I'm in trial next week all day Wed. and 1/2 day Friday. I'm 98% ready for the trial and plan to ask the Judge if I can sit down during the testimony (I usually stand when examining witnesses) and I'm sure she'll say fine.

Surgery is 3 weeks away. I am looking forward to it being over and to the Lupron leaving from my system, so by late April, I should be back to my perky, type-A self! My DH has been so understanding and supportive, I must say, and my kids too.

:injured:

Get well all Divas!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
SNWL-

I hope you feel better after your surgery. It's no fun when you are not feeling yourself. You sure skied well at Okemo! It IS funny, though, how skiing can temporarily help you feel better from what ails you! And cheers for your very supportive DH! He seems like a great guy!

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It IS funny, though, how skiing can temporarily help you feel better from what ails you!

isn't that the truth?!? "A day on the snow" should be available by prescription if you ask me!

Glad to read that people are on the mend. Stinks not being able to do what you love to do.

NannyMin

Banned
Sounds like the road to recovery is well on it's way for TSB, MSL, & sibhusky! Yipee! :clap:

SNWL-- We are here for you...the home stretch is right in front of you and I'm sure we can help make it at least a little better for you. You are such an integral part of this community and are loved by many! :love:

My body is healing and gaining strength by the day. Whenever I get discouraged by something I can't quite do yet, I think back to even a month ago and where I was in the recovery process, and realize once again what a miraculous ability our bodies have to heal themselves. My central line was removed and I'm happily tube-free! I'm still dealing with some residual liver and respiratory issues due to the sepsis, but, all in all I am thankful to be alive! This entire recovery process has been such a lesson for me in learning (and I'm still learning) when to push myself, and when to back off. I still black out if I stand up too fast, earlier this week I blacked out, but I figured if I kept walking that it would eventually pass...NOT, I ended up getting the back of my head stapled, due to my barrette slicing into my scalp when my head hit the floor. Pretty minor stuff all things being considered. I was still ticked off at myself for not just sitting down. :mad2:

I arrived in Montana this afternoon and hope to be out on the slopes skiing bright and early tomorrow morning! I'll post pics tomorrow.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great idea for this thread for all us gimps! :D

Glad to hear of all the progress everyone is making, too!!!

No real updates other than my knee is feeling significantly better. I had a large baby shower to attend today with my 2 kids so I ended up wearing my 22.5 lb son in a baby carrier much of the day. My knee was actually fine while standing and walking, only got sore when I was sitting funky for a while (he fell asleep on my back and I wanted to be sure he stayed asleep as the guest of honor was opening her gifts). I'm gaining hope for good news!

And I totally agree that there is no better prescription than a day out on the snow. Works better than Prozac, IMHO. :D

joycemocha

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH (who broke his shoulder first day out, the Friday after Thanksgiving) is doing better and starting to get the use of it back. But he's still struggling with pain. However, he's getting back into exercise and walking a lot. Good news is that he really wants to get back on the slope.

The daughter of one of my colleagues ripped up her meniscus while ski racing six weeks ago. She'd screwed up her ACL in summer training in August; this time around they at first thought it was just another ACL injury until a couple of weeks ago. Surgery was Thursday, and they found that it was not just one tear, but two. Complete bed rest. No spring soccer for her, no summer soccer camps, looks like no summer ski camps either. Problem is, this is her junior year in high school and she had high hopes for her senior year.

Sigh.

NVGsvUpdate!

NVG.....skiing tomorrow in Vail and meeting her FIRST SKI DIVAS!!! :yahoo:

Mr. NVG....driving NVG to Vail and sitting in the lodge and reading....with a walk or 2 through town. He's benched for skiing for the rest of the year, but he is up and about and driving again (thank goodness) and starting back to work in a couple of weeks! :thumbsup: For now.....he's "Driving Ms. Daisy!" :eyebrows:

We're happily healing newlyweds!!! :cheer:

So happy for NVG and NannyMin who are getting back on snow today. :thumbsup:

No skiing for me today however. I woke up feeling pretty lousy, had 4 hot flashes within 20 minutes, and concluded that I don't have the stamina to get my kids to the mountain, ski, get home, and parent for the rest of the day. :rolleyes:

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am snug in my in-laws' condo in Park City - arrived around 2:30am Eastern so I'm definitely NOT skiing today. Knee feels pretty darned good even after 5 hours in cars and 6 hours in airplanes!

Tomorrow morning - The Canyons. 1st day back on skis since my injury on 2/26.

Wish me luck!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I am snug in my in-laws' condo in Park City - arrived around 2:30am Eastern so I'm definitely NOT skiing today. Knee feels pretty darned good even after 5 hours in cars and 6 hours in airplanes!

Tomorrow morning - The Canyons. 1st day back on skis since my injury on 2/26.

Wish me luck!
:yahoo: You made it! Glad you're taking an altitude adjustment day first. Happy turns at the Canyons! Now you get to see where 10 years of American Skiing Corporation profits were funneled. Big place.
TR and pics requested asap!!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about AG?

Has anyone heard how Altagirl's knee is doing?

Never mind. I just found it in the knee surgery thread.

altagirl

Staff member
Has anyone heard how Altagirl's knee is doing?

Never mind. I just found it in the knee surgery thread.

Today was my first day back on alpine skis, actually! I only skied for about 2 hours - wanted to make sure it wasn't going to swell up or hurt afterwards. But it's feeling good. I only had a few twinges while skiing. I felt great skiing on the groomers (not particularly groomed as it was snowing all day) and did okay off-piste, but just wasn't quite feeling like going for it yet.

Anyway - my knee's feeling good. I've been doing a ton of XC skiing lately and have done some mountain biking on my singlespeed (trips to St. George and Fruita) and things are going great! :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Where's num?

num?? Anything to report? Haven't heard from you about your situation. Don't be a stranger. We miss you.

Health Update . . .

Saw surgeon today. Lupron did it's job and the surgery should be smoother and go more quickly. Side effects of Lupron should subside in 2 1/2 weeks (week of surgery) and am now doing reverse hormone therapy for my negative Lupron symptoms. Oy vay. I should be happy in about 3 more days. :loco:

Am skiing tomorrow with DH at Stratton, will check out the US Open Snowboarding dudes (and dudettes). It's all good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna