• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Choosing nordic skis

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm looking into getting some nordic skis for exercise over this winter. If I'm right on the cusp between 2 sizes of skis based on my weight, is it a good idea to go up to the next size? Or would I be ok at the top end of a weight range?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MrsPlow great question!

I can think of another question then an answer. Are you using your raw weight or the weight of yourself plus clothes and maybe a pack with snacks and water? The latter items might bump you up instantly.

Otherwise it has to be a decision based on glide versus traction. A shorter ski will be easier to engage the kick zone of the ski into the snow with. On the flip side the longer ski will demand a bit more precision to get optimal kick out of it, but will reward the user with a longer glide for the same amount of effort. It could be a pain on uphill though.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MrsPlow great question!

I can think of another question then an answer. Are you using your raw weight or the weight of yourself plus clothes and maybe a pack with snacks and water? The latter items might bump you up instantly.

Otherwise it has to be a decision based on glide versus traction. A shorter ski will be easier to engage the kick zone of the ski into the snow with. On the flip side the longer ski will demand a bit more precision to get optimal kick out of it, but will reward the user with a longer glide for the same amount of effort. It could be a pain on uphill though.
Thanks, I was looking at what's available and I think the cheap deals that are left are all going to be too small - especially as you say when I take clothes and water into account. I'll keep looking!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is there a Nordic center nearby where you can spend a few hours testing the same ski in different lengths?

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is there a Nordic center nearby where you can spend a few hours testing the same ski in different lengths?
Possibly, I'm just conscious that nordic gear goes like hot cakes quite early in the season but I think I might go talk to some local shops and see what beginner packages they have. I'm really only going to be using the skis for shuffling around some flat trails a short walk from my house (these have tracks set every few days by volunteers), rather than heading to an actual nordic area on a regular basis. But I'd like to get something that would work for up and downs if I wanted to give that a go too.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Based on your goals you might actually be better off with a shorter ski put the shorter ski which will have a little bit less glide and be more stable. Definitely get gear sooner rather than later my local nordic shop only got 1 or 2 of each sides this year which is an exceptionally low inventory to start out with. I can't speak for the rest of the country.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna