• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Choosing nordic skis

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Taller than you is ok! I am 5’6 160lb My classic are 203 and my skate are 190. Although the trend in skate skis are shorter than my old ones I like the slower tempo of the older design.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
176 for DD and I in same Rossi Ski, weight amongst us is anywhere from 123-130. Which is why I want to maybe buy more xc skis b/c we can both use them. I would like to get a metal set up for local mts and off track. Really we lucked out last year at the xc demo sell off. First come first serve, we scored proper boot sizes and basic classic skis in pretty good condition. The only reason I ended up with the combi boot is b/c thats all they had in my size ;0.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@NewEnglandSkier do you have places in MA you go for cross country? I was wondering today where to go if things were to get shut down. For example, do you head to golf courses ever? I’ve seen a lot of people say they do, but then I’m curious if that’s officially endorsed by some areas or if it isn’t allowed at some etc. Any suggestions outside of golf courses are also very welcome.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki , yes we have a golf course in my town and I sometimes go there. They don't seem to mind--lots of people use it to ski, walk, sled etc. It may depend on the course. There is also another golf course that is close by that gets run as a nordic center in the winter--they make snow etc. When I first started I went there a lot, but now I like blazing my own trail more so I don't go there as often, but they have lots of groomed trails for both classic and skate (www.skiboston.com).
I also go into the town conservation lands and woods, so anywhere you have wooded trails or open meadows would work.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@NewEnglandSkier do you have places in MA you go for cross country? I was wondering today where to go if things were to get shut down. For example, do you head to golf courses ever? I’ve seen a lot of people say they do, but then I’m curious if that’s officially endorsed by some areas or if it isn’t allowed at some etc. Any suggestions outside of golf courses are also very welcome.

check bike trails, once covered in snow they are great to xc ski on, Yes to golf courses and state parks, i googled and found this https://www.mass.gov/cross-country-skiing-in-massachusetts

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I got my stuff delivered yesterday! @SkiBam or others-- I was surprised that my new skis are taller than me. I double checked the chart and it says it's that right size, but I don't remember, when I rented three times, instructors giving me skis that long. I need some reassurance that this is normal! I am 5'5" and my skis are 175 cm. I was right on the line for sizing, and I could have also ordered the 165.

The traditional length was the skis reach your hand (when holding your arm up). Last year I bought skis that are a bit taller than me (and narrow) - they're ok but I felt I was lacking some stability. Just bought new ones that are 10 cm taller than last year's (but still about 15 cm shorter than my old, what I would call traditional-length, skis). So, yes, I would sure want them taller than me.

I wish you x-c keeners were closer to me and able to visit. No skiing yet, but we have an amazing choice of trails - from groomed for classic, groomed for classic and skating, flat (old railway line), very hilly, off piste untracked. From my house I could easily go at least 60 or more km, staying on marked trails. My town has a ski centre based out of our community centre, and the x-c club I belong to is about 10 min. away. All the trails link up. When we get the snow, it doesn't get better.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@nopoleskier beat me to it... i was also going to recommend checking bike trails and local parks. We frequently go to the town ball fields which have a lovely hill between fields that I have not yet successfully skied down on nordic skis. I really need a lesson.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No need to check anything with the bindings if they are already mounted on the skis. I always wax my XC skis. The term waxless in regard to XC skis refers to the fact that they have fishscales on the base (older style XC skis didn't have this apparently and you needed to use special wax on the kick zone and I guess waxing them was a big deal). So you no longer need to make a big production out of waxing, but even with the fish scales under the kick zone for grip, they still benefit from being waxed for glide.

MissySki

Angel Diva
No need to check anything with the bindings if they are already mounted on the skis. I always wax my XC skis. The term waxless in regard to XC skis refers to the fact that they have fishscales on the base (older style XC skis didn't have this apparently and you needed to use special wax on the kick zone and I guess waxing them was a big deal). So you no longer need to make a big production out of waxing, but even with the fish scales under the kick zone for grip, they still benefit from being waxed for glide.

Ah good, thanks for confirming on the bindings!

Would this be along the same lines as downhill ski waxing we can do ourselves with the same wax and tools?

Jilly

Staff member
I just threw out all the old XC waxes that were in a fishing gear box at the cottage. Blue, Red, Green, Silver Klister, Pine Tar, but I kept the iron!!

What a chore....tarring the bases the of the wood ski, then add wax, iron it with an old fashioned iron....Remove the wax to do the right wax for the temperature....Arghh....

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I just threw out all the old XC waxes that were in a fishing gear box at the cottage. Blue, Red, Green, Silver Klister, Pine Tar, but I kept the iron!!

What a chore....tarring the bases the of the wood ski, then add wax, iron it with an old fashioned iron....Remove the wax to do the right wax for the temperature....Arghh....

We used to burn the tar into our skis not with an iron, but a blowtorch. Yikes.

Waxing properly is a lot of work though there's nothing better than being waxed correctly for the conditions. But with fish scales or skins, really just (as was mentioned) a glide wax is needed. I've had problems on warm days with fish scales and snow caking underfoot if skis are not waxed. At my ski club, many people take waxing very very seriously. Lots of discussion (and often disagreements) about the preferred wax for the day.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wow and I thought it was supposed to be pretty simple if you weren't skate skiing! haha

I usually just use a universal wax (sometimes add in a spring formula when too warm) on my regular skis, iron in, scrape off, brush etc.. hope that's okay with the different bases of cross country? I had originally been under the impression that I didn't need to do anything to these, so I definitely will want to get that done soon if that's the best path forward. :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna