• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Choosing nordic skis

Hi, I’m also interested in Nordic skiing... for me the hardest part is the clothing. I always end up feeling uncomfortably hot while Nordic skiing and then as soon as I stop I am freezing cold completed drenched in sweat. I see some of the people at the Nordic center in very expensive looking specialized garments. I do not have the opportunity for Nordic skiing very often and would prefer not to spend a fortune. Any advice? P.S. Should this be a separate discussion topic? It’s related but not exactly. Thank you :smile:
Thing about it like dressing in layers and not too many. Lots of folks wear cycling tops and jackets as they do perfect double duty. Beginners have a tendency to overdress. Think layers, venting, breathable. Skating will generate a lot more heat than classic, but still. I wear warm tights, a wool base layer, a light vest (that may or may not come off) and vary jacket weight depending on how cold it really is. I wear more that some people. My hub hardley wears anything on top. The idea you start out cold and will be just right 1/2 mile down the trail as you get warmed up.

I feel like this is a dumb question, but how do you store and also transport cross country skis? Basically I’m like hmmmm no brakes so there is no way to just keep them together naturally. Do you use the same type of strap as on downhill skis, or do narrower nordic ones exist? Or do you just stand or lay them side by side for storage and transport, and I’m overthinking it completely?

I feel like this is a dumb question, but how do you store and also transport cross country skis? Basically I’m like hmmmm no brakes so there is no way to just keep them together naturally. Do you use the same type of strap as on downhill skis, or do narrower nordic ones exist? Or do you just stand or lay them side by side for storage and transport, and I’m overthinking it completely?
Side by side - or perhaps a rubber band would work...

Jilly

Staff member
Mine came with straps advertising the store...

As far a transporting - I do see lots in roof racks. Just remember to point the tails forward. That way the tips don't get all the crap off the roads, and won't bend at speed.

Staff online

Latest posts