• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Choosing nordic skis

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki I got these (below). I'm not sure I saw there were 2 kinds of XC60s! It was hard for me to figure out the difference between the XT and XC--the stats/construction seem the same, except for like you said the base-- and I'm still not 100% sure of all of the differences, but I read everything I could find and the consensus seemed to be that the XT were great beginner skis but the XC were a great intermediate+ ski that was so easy to ski that it would be also good for the beginner. I bet I spent 3 hours on this task yesterday and was getting analysis paralysis and so just pulled the trigger on the XC.

https://www.rei.com/product/180568/...ry-skis-with-turnamic-bindings?sku=1805680002

Boots: Honestly I just went with the upgraded boots from that package that others commented on--the Salomon Vitane Plus. Poles were almost a random choice. I just looked at the REI selection and got some that were relatively inexpensive but not the cheapest.

As you know I am not an expert but since I've had good experiences with rental gear, I think it will be fine. It's probably one of those things that you have to get into a bit then you know what you really want.

This all makes sense, and I agree with the analysis paralysis part! I’ve had a hard time finding comparisons of the skis, but what you said seems logical for sure. I think the other XC 60 was with a skin base, the one you got and that one were the same price and look the same, can you say confusing?? Lol

I always have the tendency to want to get gear that’s more than “beginner” but with such a great price out of pocket for the setup with my Bean bucks it may be worth it to just try. Unfortunately they don’t have the XC version.

Now I’m just a bit worried about boot sizing because they are not available in store to try on. Usually no big deal for LL Bean to make exchanges, but their lead time on them is 3-4 weeks, so it’ll stink if I order the wrong size haha. I’m trying to decide between what’s appropriate for an 8 or 8.5 foot as it can really go either way with me when I buy shoes.. I can’t usually guess without trying them on. I guess I could also order a second pair and try them both then return one..

Christy

Angel Diva
I am a bit worried about that too--if I need a different boot size, I hope they haven't all sold out by the time I get them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am a bit worried about that too--if I need a different boot size, I hope they haven't all sold out by the time I get them.

Exactly. Is there a bit of a wait for you too or will they come soon? I fear that a month out could definitely sell out my size range since it’s pretty average sized.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just got a notice from REI that my order has shipped--hopefully it's just coming from their Tacoma area warehouse and I'll get it soon.

That was fast!! Awesome! I’m hoping if I press bu that my actual time will be less than the blanket estimate..

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki I would just order both sizes and return the one you don't want. Shoes/boots can be so iffy, esp if you're between sizes. I have the same issue 8 or 8.5 and it depends on the brand etc how they run, so if I'm not sure, I order both and send one back!

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki I would just order both sizes and return the one you don't want. Shoes/boots can be so iffy, esp if you're between sizes. I have the same issue 8 or 8.5 and it depends on the brand etc how they run, so if I'm not sure, I order both and send one back!

I think I will do this, it’ll consume my mind for weeks waiting for it to arrive if I don’t haha

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, I’m also interested in Nordic skiing... for me the hardest part is the clothing. I always end up feeling uncomfortably hot while Nordic skiing and then as soon as I stop I am freezing cold completed drenched in sweat. I see some of the people at the Nordic center in very expensive looking specialized garments. I do not have the opportunity for Nordic skiing very often and would prefer not to spend a fortune. Any advice? P.S. Should this be a separate discussion topic? It’s related but not exactly. Thank you :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva

I ended up finding that Burlington LL Bean supposedly has one each of the size 8 and 8.5 of the boot I’m interested in.. so going to call and confirm and may take a ride today! (It’s an hour away, but not like I have anything else to do haha). Unfortunately they do not have the skis in stock, so I don’t think I can even buy a pair of boots today since I need to order everything together to get the discount.. but at least I’ll know if this boot works for me and which size so I can place my order. Perhaps they can order the rest for me in store so I could get the discounts and take the boots, but that might be more trouble than it’s worth.

Jilly

Staff member
Remember your bindings need to match the boots to work. But they should know that, or maybe they only sell the one style.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I went to LL Bean to try on the boots, and even though their site had the skis as sold out in the Burlington location this was not accurate because they had one pair in my size. So I ended up buying the boots, skis, and poles today!! So excited! Really glad I tried on the boots because I had the Euro 41 (US 8.5) in my cart and they were too big. The 40/8.0 fit perfect. Gosh I wish alpine boots were so comfortable! I was able to find a sales associate who was knowledgeable in how they should fit too so I was able to chat with her a bit.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki that is great! Too bad we are 3000 miles apart otherwise we could go be beginner skiers together.

I know right!?!? That would be so much fun!

The horrible thing is we pulled into LL Bean and it was 77 degrees today! :doh: It’s supposed to be high 60s to low 70s through much of next week and not much better up north. Feels like winter is suddenly so far away when usually I’m skiing by now.

Christy

Angel Diva
I got my stuff delivered yesterday! @SkiBam or others-- I was surprised that my new skis are taller than me. I double checked the chart and it says it's that right size, but I don't remember, when I rented three times, instructors giving me skis that long. I need some reassurance that this is normal! I am 5'5" and my skis are 175 cm. I was right on the line for sizing, and I could have also ordered the 165.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 5'4" and mine are 166---but I bought mine years ago when I was just starting out. Like with downhill, they usually suggest shorter skis for beginners, so that may be why when you rented they gave your shorter skis. I think you'll be fine with the longer length.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I got my stuff delivered yesterday! @SkiBam or others-- I was surprised that my new skis are taller than me. I double checked the chart and it says it's that right size, but I don't remember, when I rented three times, instructors giving me skis that long. I need some reassurance that this is normal! I am 5'5" and my skis are 175 cm. I was right on the line for sizing, and I could have also ordered the 165.

I’m 5’4” and ~127lbs right now. I went with the 175 based on weight, but I wasn’t right on the line like you are. I imagine if you carry water and a backpack etc. though that it could add a few lbs. I would have went up versus down in your place as well, not that this means much from another newbie! :wave:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna