• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Choosing nordic skis

Christy

Angel Diva
Can anyone comment on this package for a beginner? For someone that is just getting into it and that might not go all that often? I did read articles about "best beginner ski" and these Rossis kept coming up. @SkiBam @geargrrl

https://www.crosscountryski.com/product/rossignol-evo-xc-60-tour-cross-country-ski-package/

The only bummer about the above is that the warmer boot upgrade isn't available in my size.

Here are a whole bunch more packages.
https://www.crosscountryski.com/pro...est-savings/recreational-no-wax-ski-packages/

@MissySki

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have rossi evo xc 50, bought them as used demos last year. Easy in track, I would want more if I was totally off piste but good for a few inches of fresh on track. Btw I have 50/50 boots more support than classic boot so could use for skate as well. Added suport is better for me. I was really looking forward to learning skate this year with thoughts/delusions of trying a biathalon. I am working on gaining more stamina via rollerbladeing.....

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Can anyone comment on this package for a beginner? For someone that is just getting into it and that might not go all that often? I did read articles about "best beginner ski" and these Rossis kept coming up. @SkiBam @geargrrl

https://www.crosscountryski.com/product/rossignol-evo-xc-60-tour-cross-country-ski-package/

The only bummer about the above is that the warmer boot upgrade isn't available in my size.

Here are a whole bunch more packages.
https://www.crosscountryski.com/pro...est-savings/recreational-no-wax-ski-packages/

@MissySki

They look quite similar to the LL Bean skis I was referencing earlier.. XT versus XC..?

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/124990?page=rossignol-evo-xt60-ski-with-tour-step-in-binding&bc=&feat=cross country-SR0&csp=a&searchTerm=cross country&pos=5

And then for more of a backcountry option

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/12499...ki-SR0&csp=a&searchTerm=backcountry ski&pos=1

Last edited:

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven’t been following exact models in some years but have always enjoyed how Rossi’s ski. I would recommend upgrading to a plastic cuffed boot (combi or 50/50 as @WaterGirl mentioned). The extra stability provided will be really helpful to learn more quickly.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Mine are an older version of these Alpinas with the upgraded boot: https://www.crosscountryski.com/product/alpina-control-60-cross-country-ski-package/

I’m no expert and I haven’t had any lessons other than a few YouTube videos, but these have been a good choice for the type of “ski around the golf course” kind of cross country skiing that we’ve done... when we have enough snow.

Once we make our move to Vermont, I plan on lessons at the Rikert Nordic Center: https://www.rikertnordic.com

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes to a combi boot, yes to Waxless if you are doing Classic Skiing. Skate skis are waxable and that's a whole lesson on temps and wax .

Make sure you are sized properly so you get to glide. the old method was to stand on the ski with a piece of paper under the foot- should be able to pull the paper out.

Also NNN Bindings only work with NNN Boots - Solomon only work on Solomon

the Binding attachment/ clip on portion to the binding is different on NNN vs Solomon

SkiBam

Angel Diva
The Rossi Evo XC 60 sound good. What's the base? Fish scale? Skins? Wax?

FWIW I just bought new Rossi Evo XC 50 Skin as I found a short pair (166 cm). I liked the skin skis I bought last year but think I might have bought a bit too small and think I'll feel more stable on the new ones. For my size and weight, they should serve me ok on and off the track. Not sure they'd be great in 20 cm of fresh untracked snow but it's unlikely I'd be skiing in that anyway. When we go off track, it's usually in a group and I like to let the heavier people go first!

I hope to eke out another season in my several-years-old Rossi boots. They have, however, developed cracks (where they bend) as boots today (that are no longer made of leather) tend to do. Apparently there's not much to do about this - shoe goo maybe? The boots are just so comfy though, and perform well, that I'm loathe to give them up.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I started cross country skiing about 20 (or maybe more?) years ago, I got some basic Rossignol Evo XC skis. I'm not exactly sure of the model but I think these in the package you were linking are probably the newer model of what I have. They have done fine for me. I use them both in track and out of track. In fact these days I use them almost exclusively out of track, but we don't get heaps of fresh snow around here. So maybe in only about 4 inches of fresh. If I was skiing out of track in deeper snow I'd go with a more backcountry dedicated XC ski with more shape and steel edges and slightly wider.
The boots in the package are fine, but agree with the others that a combination boot (allows you to use on skate skis too) has a bit more support. One thing I have issues with with every XC ski boot I've ever wrongs rubbing in the heel/blisters---so if you have narrow heels, pay attention to heel fit.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SkiBam - My Rossi boots performed just fine for a long time after the surface layer developed breaks in the vinyl. The lacing system underneath seemed to be anchored into nylonlike material that remained flexible and strong even though the surface layer (more like the waterproof over cover) didn’t look great. I’d just give the plastic a good flex every so often to check for brittleness developing.

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
The Rossi Evo XC 60 sound good. What's the base? Fish scale? Skins? Wax?

From the description:
  • Waxless Positrack bases feature a positive base structure to let you kick and glide through all conditions with no prep required
Another question: The Rossi Evo line is shorter ("Shorter length and wide dimensions of skis enhance stability, maneuverability and control"). I am about 118 lbs, sometimes a couple pounds more (maybe this winter, with baking and such), sometimes less. 120 for sure with a pack with water. Who knows, maybe a smidge over sometimes.

Less than 120 lbs they say get 166 mm. 120+, 176. They say if you are on the line and are a beginner, go shorter. I hate being right on the line. Should I really go shorter? My instinct is to go longer. I hated short downhill skis. They made me fall all the time. I got on longer skis and I was fine.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I feel stupid because everyone else seems to know what this is, but for some reason the boot part is not sinking in for me.. how do I know if a boot is a combi or 50/50 that works for both skate and classic skis?

Also, should boots fit snug as an alpine boot or?

Are these 50/50 due to the plastic wrap around in back, or is there more to it?

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/12497...1K-YcwQwAfUWry2eRiBoCthoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I just realized that of you get skis, poles, and boots on LL Bean right now you get 10% off the package and then another 15% off for an overall sale they’re running. With the package of 3 you also get a Nordic ski pass for 3 days (not sure if it’s total or at each participating resort of which there are a bunch in ME and MA). Then with my Beanbucks I could have it shipped to me for free and owe only $32 out of pocket. So I’m quite tempted!

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
I bought some tonight. I'm excited! Since better boots were recommended I bought everything separately but went with the Rossi XC60. I went with REI (they have a 10% discount if you buy 3 things too + the member dividend) so I can return anything easily if needed. @MissySki I don't really know the answer to your boot question. From the times I rented, it doesn't seem that fit is as important as with alpine boots. They are soft and comfortable, more like just regular shoes. I've rented 3 times and all 3 times, the boots fit fine from the get-go with my street shoe size and I didn't have issues.

Now I just have to figure out where to go that would be safe (no avy danger etc) for a solo person, since I plan to go weekdays.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I bought some tonight. I'm excited! Since better boots were recommended I bought everything separately but went with the Rossi XC60. I went with REI (they have a 10% discount if you buy 3 things too + the member dividend) so I can return anything easily if needed. @MissySki I don't really know the answer to your boot question. From the times I rented, it doesn't seem that fit is as important as with alpine boots. They are soft and comfortable, more like just regular shoes. I've rented 3 times and all 3 times, the boots fit fine from the get-go with my street shoe size and I didn't have issues.

Now I just have to figure out where to go that would be safe (no avy danger etc) for a solo person, since I plan to go weekdays.

Yay congrats on your purchase!! Which XC60 did you pick, it looks like there are 2 options?? I’m trying to figure out what is different between the XC models and XT, seems to be the base I think. Which boots did you end up grabbing?

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So those Rossi x-5 boots are a touring boot which touring means classic style and so it is not a combi per se. It will also have a softer sole as a difference in addition to ankle cuffing. Rossignol uses the letters SC at the end of their combi boots.

The x5 fw (female last) boot does look great for what you are wanting! And I am sure you could skate in it if you were so inclined. Yes to a more relaxed fit but not sloppy or you will lack control—esp extra heel movement is worth watching out for. And where the heel cup hits you— alpina is it shallow for my foot and always felt like I was on the verge of falling out whereas Rossi is deeper but still pretty narrow.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So those Rossi x-5 boots are a touring boot which touring means classic style and so it is not a combi per se. It will also have a softer sole as a difference in addition to ankle cuffing. Rossignol uses the letters SC at the end of their combi boots.

The x5 fw (female last) boot does look great for what you are wanting! And I am sure you could skate in it if you were so inclined. Yes to a more relaxed fit but not sloppy or you will lack control—esp extra heel movement is worth watching out for. And where the heel cup hits you— alpina is it shallow for my foot and always felt like I was on the verge of falling out whereas Rossi is deeper but still pretty narrow.

Thank you, very helpful!

Christy

Angel Diva
@MissySki I got these (below). I'm not sure I saw there were 2 kinds of XC60s! It was hard for me to figure out the difference between the XT and XC--the stats/construction seem the same, except for like you said the base-- and I'm still not 100% sure of all of the differences, but I read everything I could find and the consensus seemed to be that the XT were great beginner skis but the XC were a great intermediate+ ski that was so easy to ski that it would be also good for the beginner. I bet I spent 3 hours on this task yesterday and was getting analysis paralysis and so just pulled the trigger on the XC.

https://www.rei.com/product/180568/...ry-skis-with-turnamic-bindings?sku=1805680002

Boots: Honestly I just went with the upgraded boots from that package that others commented on--the Salomon Vitane Plus. Poles were almost a random choice. I just looked at the REI selection and got some that were relatively inexpensive but not the cheapest.

As you know I am not an expert but since I've had good experiences with rental gear, I think it will be fine. It's probably one of those things that you have to get into a bit then you know what you really want.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna