• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying demo skis...

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
33196FE0-5FFB-4059-9408-7C740451CDFC.jpeg
Love this - not just a sticker, this is ART! Aldo less chance of people just grabbing your skis thinking it's theirs. *Cough* It feels like everyone has the BP 88 *cough*

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My current Moment Sierras are honestly my least favorite art of the Moment ski line: not horrible, but I loved the previous years’ art and the Moment Bella’s art which looks like it belongs in a museum. But I absolutely love my Sierras and they make me so happy to ski them, so I’m just going to add my signature bird stickers to their tails and not worry about the art. Most likely if you love to ride your skis, they will grow on you, especially if you personalize them!
I want all of this so much. I meant it in the other thread - these are goals. After I read that you had found a ski that felt alive to you, I started thinking that life is too short to spend it on skis I felt were planks AND were not helping me towards me goals, no matter how much moola I spent on them. I work hard - might as well use that money to enjoy life!

marzNC

Angel Diva
That said my powder7 demo list is now looking like:
2020 Liberty V76s @151 (called Powder7 and they confirmed these are lighter than my Blizzard Pearls)
2021 Head Absolut Joy @ 148 (78 waist. Several liked including @marzNC)
2023 Blizzard Phoenix 7.2 @ 153
2022 Volkl Flair 76 @ 147
2021 Dynastar Intense 4x4 75 Pro @ 151
What's the range of the prices for the skis on your list? They all include demo bindings, correct?

Keeping the BP88s makes sense to me. You know Divas are enablers for buying gear, right? :smile:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's the range of the prices for the skis on your list? They all include demo bindings, correct?

Keeping the BP88s makes sense to me. You know Divas are enablers for buying gear, right? :smile:

With exception of the Nelas, these are all around $400 and yes, all include demo bindings!

Liberty V76 $379.99
Blizzard Phoenix 7.2 $379.99
Dynastar Intense 4x4 75 Pro $389.99
Head Absolut Joy $399.99
Volkl Flair 76 @ $449.99

marzNC

Angel Diva
Forgot I actually created a thread about the Alta Demo Day last April. It was the first time I had a chance to ski the same model in three different lengths. I knew what length was going to be the best beforehand. Was interesting to confirm that given the way I ski these days, it's possible for skis to be too short. Have had plenty of experience demo'ing skis that are too long.

When I started demo'ing 15 years ago, there were rarely skis that were short enough for a petite intermediate. Even when a shorter length existed, the brand rep usually wouldn't bother to bring one.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that price for a used Absolut Joy is high. I paid $390 before tax for a new pair about three weeks ago, unless Powder7 has some sort of special try before you buy program. It comes with the Joy 9 GW system binding, so no demo binding needed. Evo and Ski Essentials both have it new for $390.

I noticed the Volkl Flair 76 was the rental ski at Boreal when I went last weekend.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Forgot I actually created a thread about the Alta Demo Day last April. It was the first time I had a chance to ski the same model in three different lengths. I knew what length was going to be the best beforehand. Was interesting to confirm that given the way I ski these days, it's possible for skis to be too short. Have had plenty of experience demo'ing skis that are too long.

When I started demo'ing 15 years ago, there were rarely skis that were short enough for a petite intermediate. Even when a shorter length existed, the brand rep usually wouldn't bother to bring one.

Man, I'm afraid to take out skis that long! What's the logic in not bringing you a shorter length?

So you thought the Total Joy was too short @153. I was looking at the shorter lengths of the Absolut Joy. Do you think I should go up to 158?

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that price for a used Absolut Joy is high. I paid $390 before tax for a new pair about three weeks ago, unless Powder7 has some sort of special try before you buy program. It comes with the Joy 9 GW system binding, so no demo binding needed. Evo and Ski Essentials both have it new for $390.

I noticed the Volkl Flair 76 was the rental ski at Boreal when I went last weekend.
Oh thank you! I'm really liking the specs on the Absolut Joy - narrow, but not super super narrow at 78mm. If that's the case, I'd get it through EVO as they could have it to me in 2 days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Man, I'm afraid to take out skis that long! What's the logic in not bringing you a shorter length?

So you thought the Total Joy was too short @153. I was looking at the shorter lengths of the Absolut Joy. Do you think I should go up to 158?
Do not pick skis based on what works for anyone else, assuming you haven't demo'd skis that are similar. I'm telling stories of my experience, but not making recommendations for what to buy. It's rarely an obvious decision and it doesn't need to be a perfect choice. Many skis will work well for what you want. Shorter is easier to turn when still learning to carve and not going that fast. If not, easier to sell skis with demo bindings. Those are very good prices.

My Absolut Joys were 148cm, 78 underfoot. My Volkl Yumis are 147cm, 84 underfoot. Remember that my narrow skis for the east are 10cm shorter than my all-mountain skis and that I'm a solid advanced skier. When I was working on technique more at my home hill a decade ago, I chose to buy short AJs over any skis more than 80mm wide, including the Total Joy that I also demo'd and liked the same day a few months earlier. I bought them new on sale during the summer for about $400, and liked the fact that the AJs were sold with integrated bindings that weren't "demo bindings." That meant the bindings had to be installed in fixed positions but also meant the skis would be lighter to carry from the parking lot.

At a demo day when there are 10+ brand tents, each rep only has a few pairs of skis. Usually only one pair of each size for a given model. So if the shortest skis are out, then the choice is to wait around or to go with a different length. I find I learn more in many ways from checking out skis I don't like than from skis that are clearly fun from the first few turns. Over the years, that means I know which brands make skis that tend to work well for me. I enjoy demo'ing but don't buy skis that often. The last two pairs of skis I bought in recent years were offered for sale by a Diva. Since I'd demo'd them, I knew I liked them and could jump on the opportunity. Haven't bought a pair of skis from a shop or online since 2017. Bought those after renting them for a couple days at an independent shop at a destination resort.

Alta Demo Day, April 2019
Alta Demo Day 2019  - 1.jpg

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I definitely would not recommend going to 158 at your size if you've never tried a ski in that length, particularly since the AJ is not a super rockered ski (which would effectively make the length in contact with the snow shorter). It's more important to work out through demoing and trying skis what lengths work for you b/c everyone has a preference. There are women here who aren't far off in size from me and prefer a longer ski than I do so it's really all about what works best for you.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Narrow skis work Fine out west, I always bring an under 80 and 90+ ski (I have double sport tube) many trips I only use the 76's.. Length is tricky- if a ski has a lot of rocker- it skis shorter- For your purposes and just getting used to carving I'd go shorter vs longer but Not too Short!
wish you could go demo from Powder 7- not sure if they do that?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Curious on how you found the Yumis compared to the BPs. I bought the Yumis without demoing (found a good deal) and the BPs were also another ski I was thinking of, but didn't have a chance to demo.
I'll be curious to see too. It's been over a year since I've skied a Yumi, but just tried the BP 88 recently. So curious if she feels similarly to me? I think?? the BPs maybe had an edge on the groomers as far as bite/edge hold, but I definitely preferred the Yumis in the bumps. They felt softer flexing for bump skiing, which I liked. BPs felt a bit stiff to me in the bumps.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Curious on how you found the Yumis compared to the BPs. I bought the Yumis without demoing (found a good deal) and the BPs were also another ski I was thinking of, but didn't have a chance to demo.
I’m currently at the mountain demoing the 2023 Yumi in 154 and I LOVE THEM.

First point, my BPs are heavier even with the demo bindings on these. I’ve been skiing for 4 hours now but I’m not tired at all which is so different than my BPs, I’m floored. A contributing factor to that which may be demo specific is that I feel so much more comfortably neutral on these - maybe I’m just on of those sensitive to ramp angle but it’s a huge huge difference.

Other notes - I actually find these way easier to get onto edge and they turn on a dime which I find so forgiving. I was using a lot of energy pulling my BPs into an arc that was shorter than they wanted to go and I don’t feel that with these. And edging! My husband was like OMG you’re really carving on those.

I’m stopping for lunch but I’ve done almost every blue run on at Crystal Mountain already this morning and I’m skiing to close for sure.

If you see a petite lady with purple hair on Crystal Mountain grinning like an idiot, it’s me!!!!

And yes I think I’m buying them. I dunno why they feel so much different than my BPs, but I’m having fun and to me that’s worth the world!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be curious to see too. It's been over a year since I've skied a Yumi, but just tried the BP 88 recently. So curious if she feels similarly to me? I think?? the BPs maybe had an edge on the groomers as far as bite/edge hold, but I definitely preferred the Yumis in the bumps. They felt softer flexing for bump skiing, which I liked. BPs felt a bit stiff to me in the bumps.
Yes I like the Yumi totally better on bumps! On groomers I feel my BPs really locked me into a turn whereas these Yumis are far easier to maneuver even while in the turn.

It’s made me a hell of a lot more confident on the cat tracks. I used to be deathly afraid I’d fall right off the side or run into a tree. With my BPs I’d go very fast but very wide and it was hard for my to keep the turn more narrow. I felt out of control.

The Yumis are much easier to pull back under me if that makes sense

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes I like the Yumi totally better on bumps! On groomers I feel my BPs really locked me into a turn whereas these Yumis are far easier to maneuver even while in the turn.

It’s made me a hell of a lot more confident on the cat tracks. I used to be deathly afraid I’d fall right off the side or run into a tree. With my BPs I’d go very fast but very wide and it was hard for my to keep the turn more narrow. I felt out of control.

It's interesting looking at the specs b/c technically the BP 88 has a tighter turn radius at 147 than the Yumi does at 154. Yumi at 154 states turn radius at 18-13-16 for tip/waist/tail (that whole 3D radius thing I still don't really understand); BP is 11 at the 147 length. The Yumi is wood core, with titanal under the binding and a fiberglass frame. BP 88 is wood core and says wide titanal? Not sure if that means the titanal runs the full length of the ski? If so, that would explain why the Yumi feels softer flexing.

I wonder if the Yumi felt a bit turnier to you despite the stated radii of both skis b/c of the sidecut?
BP is 126-88-108 @ 147
Yumi is 125-84-107 @ 154

Specs are pretty similar, but the Yumis narrower waist would give it a bit more sidecut than the BP 88. Comparably, the BP 88 153 has a more similar radius to the Yumi at with a radius of 12.

Overall, maybe it's the stiffness of the BPs you're not liking as well? The extra length at 154 didn't bother you at all, it sounds like?

These are my bored ramblings b/c I'm avoiding cleaning my house. lol

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Are you demoing the Yumi 80 or 84? I bought my daughter a pair of the 84s at the beginning of the season--she's 16 and 5'3 ish 100 pounds and they've been great for her. She's on the 154 which took some getting used to, but she takes them everywhere without hesitation. I think Volkl has hit a home run with the Yumi for smaller people.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's interesting looking at the specs b/c technically the BP 88 has a tighter turn radius at 147 than the Yumi does at 154. Yumi at 154 states turn radius at 18-13-16 for tip/waist/tail (that whole 3D radius thing I still don't really understand); BP is 11 at the 147 length. The Yumi is wood core, with titanal under the binding and a fiberglass frame. BP 88 is wood core and says wide titanal? Not sure if that means the titanal runs the full length of the ski? If so, that would explain why the Yumi feels softer flexing.

I wonder if the Yumi felt a bit turnier to you despite the stated radii of both skis b/c of the sidecut?
BP is 126-88-108 @ 147
Yumi is 125-84-107 @ 154

Specs are pretty similar, but the Yumis narrower waist would give it a bit more sidecut than the BP 88. Comparably, the BP 88 153 has a more similar radius to the Yumi at with a radius of 12.

Overall, maybe it's the stiffness of the BPs you're not liking as well? The extra length at 154 didn't bother you at all, it sounds like?

These are my bored ramblings b/c I'm avoiding cleaning my house. lol
The new Black Pearl is definitely stiffer than the Yumi! I found the Yumi too soft and chattery on groomers and solid snow for me as I started to get better, even when I was 110lb.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna