• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying demo skis...

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Santa Anna 88's. So they would be a cousin to the the BP88's. (Blizzard and Nordica are sister companies.) My knee's hurt getting them on edge on our eastern groomers. My Rossi Hero's are easy. But the OP doesn't need a Hero. ( At least not in the form of the Rossi ski??) There are many women's front side carvers in the 75mm width out there.

Years ago I had a pair of Rossi Z75. I would love to have those skis back. They were good anywhere...
I will have a look at them! I like Rossi's - hell I became enthralled with skiing on a pair - Rossi Experience 78 Unisex. I don't have great knees either and last time I skied Snoqualmie it was totally iced over (very close the closing date for the season) - my knees totally paid trying to manuever the BP88s so I feel you!

Last edited:

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Re: Yumis, I already scratched up my top sheets on my first day. So the demo might look a bit beat up cosmetically.

I still think about getting Absolut Joys for the narrower waist as a carving ski. Not sure if you can demo those and it's cheaper than the Total Joys.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh and the Stockli Nela 80's.
The only risk for demo'ing Stöckli skis is that you'll want a pair. :smile:

Stöckli makes great skis that reward good technique, but they are pricey. Hard to find demo pairs by late March. My all-mountain skis are the Stöckli Stormrider 85s, bought at Taos in February 2017. I knew a few hours into a day when I rented the demo pair that I wanted to buy them. Got them without the demo bindings because I plan to keep them for years and years. They are still going strong in 2023.

Like the Blizzard BP line, when it comes to the Head Joy line, people seem to either really like them or really can't wait to get them off. I happen to like both lines. Although for some reason the BP78 was not as much fun for me as the BP88 or BP98. I enjoyed the BP82 and BP97 at the Alta Demo Day in April 2022 but only checked them out on groomers. That day I found the Stöckli Laser AX, 67 underfoot, more fun for carving than the Head SuperJoy, even though the SuperJoy has a smaller Turn Radius. Also liked the Nela 80. In general, the length that works for me is 158-159cm.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only risk for demo'ing Stöckli skis is that you'll want a pair. :smile:

Stöckli makes great skis that reward good technique, but they are pricey. Hard to find demo pairs by late March. My all-mountain skis are the Stöckli Stormrider 85s, bought at Taos in February 2017. I knew a few hours into a day when I rented the demo pair that I wanted to buy them. Got them without the demo bindings because I plan to keep them for years and years. They are still going strong in 2023.

Like the Blizzard BP line, when it comes to the Head Joy line, people seem to either really like them or really can't wait to get them off. I happen to like both lines. Although for some reason the BP78 was not as much fun for me as the BP88 or BP98. I enjoyed the BP82 and BP97 at the Alta Demo Day in April 2022 but only checked them out on groomers. That day I found the Stöckli Laser AX, 67 underfoot, more fun for carving than the Head SuperJoy, even though the SuperJoy has a smaller Turn Radius. Also liked the Nela 80. In general, the length that works for me is 158-159cm.
How tall are you? She was waffling on which length for the Nela's - I think she has her heart set on them, so I hope she loves them when she demos! She's 5'5 - which length did you demo?

Basil

Certified Ski Diva
I have the Liberty v76w! I got them halfway through the winter on closeout for a good price but had some issues getting the bindings mounted (unrelated to the skis themselves) so I only got 2 days on them this year.

I think they are really fun! My background is growing up skiing on narrow skis in the 80s and 90s, so I wasn’t afraid of a narrow waist. They have that edge hold and pop that I remember from when I was younger. I don’t think they have much rocker at all, maybe just a touch to make them a little easier to release from a turn.

I got these to replace older Ripsticks(86), and to complement my soft snow/out west skis (fisher ranger 102s). As compared to the Ripsticks they are stiffer, hold better, and pop more. But they are heavier, and probably wouldn’t be as maneuverable off piste (I didn’t try them that way). I’d say if you want a carver to go WITH the BPs, go for the libertys. But if you want an all mountain ski that’s really light to REPLACE the BPs, maybe look at the Ripsticks too?

And honestly, I think it is totally valid to buy a ski based on how it looks! It’s skiing, it’s a hobby, it’s not neurosurgery! No one’s life or livelihood is depending on you buying the exact right ski :smile: I’ve been skiing for a long time and still doubt I’m capable of appreciating really small differences between models, especially of ones I never ski. I love analyzing reviews and making up spreadsheets just as much as most people here (it’s entertaining for me), but at the end of the day, the fun in skiing is 95% about the people I’m with, being outside, and enjoying the day. So as long as a ski doesn’t get in the way of me having fun, it’s all good!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Liberty v76w! I got them halfway through the winter on closeout for a good price but had some issues getting the bindings mounted (unrelated to the skis themselves) so I only got 2 days on them this year.

I think they are really fun! My background is growing up skiing on narrow skis in the 80s and 90s, so I wasn’t afraid of a narrow waist. They have that edge hold and pop that I remember from when I was younger. I don’t think they have much rocker at all, maybe just a touch to make them a little easier to release from a turn.

I got these to replace older Ripsticks(86), and to complement my soft snow/out west skis (fisher ranger 102s). As compared to the Ripsticks they are stiffer, hold better, and pop more. But they are heavier, and probably wouldn’t be as maneuverable off piste (I didn’t try them that way). I’d say if you want a carver to go WITH the BPs, go for the libertys. But if you want an all mountain ski that’s really light to REPLACE the BPs, maybe look at the Ripsticks too?

And honestly, I think it is totally valid to buy a ski based on how it looks! It’s skiing, it’s a hobby, it’s not neurosurgery! No one’s life or livelihood is depending on you buying the exact right ski :smile: I’ve been skiing for a long time and still doubt I’m capable of appreciating really small differences between models, especially of ones I never ski. I love analyzing reviews and making up spreadsheets just as much as most people here (it’s entertaining for me), but at the end of the day, the fun in skiing is 95% about the people I’m with, being outside, and enjoying the day. So as long as a ski doesn’t get in the way of me having fun, it’s all good!
Ooo, replace? I just noticed that Powder7 has a trade in option. I just did it and I'd get a fair deal sending my Blizzard Pearls in especially because they pay shipping!

Hmmm, before I started looking are narrower waists, I was checking out the Elan Wildcat 82. They don't have the Ripsticks unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure the Wildcats are lighter than the BP88's. I'm not sure how they compare to the Liberty's in weight. Actually, I wonder how the weight of the Liberty compares to the BP88. Guess I'm calling Powder7 tomorrow!

I can tell there is more overthinking in my future! And thanks for validating my purple obsession, lol!!!!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am I shallow enough to buy a ski just cause the topsheet is my favorite color? Hmmmm :rotf:
Yes, do NOT buy based on color and graphics. My carving skis are crazy ugly but they are the best carving skis for me. Carving requires technical skills and you need the right equipment to help you. Neither color nor graphics will help in any way.
My carving skis are Stockli Laser AX (154) with a 78mm underfoot and my all mountain is Stockli Nela 88 (152). I love them so much I have 2 pairs! I am 5’3” 140lbs. Too many people are skiing skis that are waaaay too long for their size and abilities. They think they are carving/skiing at high level but are actually not. Their skill level will greatly improve if they would just go down a size and not buy too much skis that they cannot handle.
I’d also shop for skis based on your own experience and not your friend’s. Everyone has their own preference and are different in physical form, size, shape, strength, ability, etc. What works for your friend may not be right for you.
I personally would not demo Stockli skis as they are likely overkill for beginners and you wouldn’t know the actual difference on why they ski better/worse than other skis at a lower price point.

marzNC

Angel Diva
How tall are you? She was waffling on which length for the Nela's - I think she has her heart set on them, so I hope she loves them when she demos! She's 5'5 - which length did you demo?
I'm 5'0", 110 lbs, over 60, solid advanced skier starting 5-6 years ago after a few years of regular lessons. I demo'd the Nela 80 @157cm. My notes say "fun in general, soft bumps" and I didn't take them out until 2pm on the Alta Demo Day in early April when the snow off-piste was fairly soft since it warmed up that day.

My Stormrider 85s are 159cm. I prefer skis on the longer side because that makes them more versatile for deep fresh snow or higher speeds. Plus I started skiing on straight skis over my head a long time ago, so longer lengths don't bother me.

It's fair to say that the instructors at Taos much prefer their students use shorter skis. The focus there is on skiing bumps of all sizes. The Women's Week I did that included free demo skis, the instructor was happiest when I had BP88s @142cm. Certainly fun in bumps but I would never buy mid-80s skis that short for where I ski at big mountains out west.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I personally would not demo Stockli skis as they are likely overkill for beginners and you wouldn’t know the actual difference on why they ski better/worse than other skis at a lower price point.
While I agree that a beginner probably shouldn't bother to demo Stöckli skis, they would still learn something. I was an adventurous intermediate with plenty of bad habits (didn't know about most of them) when I started demo'ing at a public demo day with 10+ brand tents. I took out any skis that were about the right length from tents that didn't have a line. Learned a lot from the skis that I didn't like.

By the time I started demo'ing Stöckli skis at a mid-Atlantic demo day, I didn't think I'd be able to enjoy them. Had only been taking lessons for a few years. My Massanutten instructor loved his Laser SC skis. It was a surprise how fun those were for me.

Agree there is no substitute for actually demo'ing skis before making a purchase. If not the actual model and length, at least something close. I demo'd the Head Absolut Joy at one length longer than what I opted to buy during the off-season. I liked the AJs and planned to only ski them in the southeast so there were reasons to go short. Also demo'd the Total Joys but wanted to go narrower for skiing at small mountains in the east.

Last edited:

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
I have the Rossignol Experience Basalts in 159 CM.

Great ski, not a carver. They are much lighter than rental skis but probably heavier than lightweight carvers.

I'm 5'1" and am thinking of adding a shorter/narrower carver...

Jilly

Staff member
rocker camber rocker is explained to some extent in our Gearpedia section. Lots of good info there, check it out.

A ski with rocker at the tip and tail, skis short - that tip and tail does not necessarily touch the snow. That's why we say to go longer on all mountain and free ride skis. Some free ride skis are rocker only.

Tradition camber skis use the whole length of the ski on the snow at all times. Many beginner skis have an "early rise" tip to make turning and directing the ski easier for them.

My Temptation 88's had on the bottom of the skis - arrows. Those arrows are where the camber starts and the rocker stops from the ends of the ski. I can't find a picture because they were that old.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Surely though, for learning to carve as long as the ski is largely camber that should be fine? I feel like so many skis anymore have a bit of tip or tail rocker just to make that turn initiation or tail release a bit easier?

Those Liberty skis, imo, despite their tip rocker, would still qual as a carver to me. Now are they a race ski? No, but they're more a carver than an all-mountain and probably a bit friendlier than say my race skis b/c of that bit of rocker at the tips.

RJ*

Angel Diva
My two cents: getting “too much ski” (too heavy/stiff, too long) will really get in the way of learning. And when I say learning, I mean for the long term, not just someone’s first season. I’m definitely still learning, many years into it.

I also agree with @Susan L when it comes to length of skis. Im 5’7”, 155 lb and my skis are in the 158-161 cm range. I think it helps develop “feel” faster in your feet. I have heard a lot of people talk about finding speed limits on skis. I had an experience like that last year with my longest pair (the irony). Then I spent a while on the bunny hill this season doing fore aft drills, and the issue was gone. I love the skis now.
In my case, it was my technique, and not the skis that was the issue. I never ski over 40-45mph according to Ski Tracks, so I can’t say I ever found the speed limit of my skis.
People that ski faster might have a different experience.
Anyway, I wanted to put a different perspective out there along the lines of Susan’s comment, because I think most people in this forum are biased toward longer skis. I find learning much easier (on groomers too, not only technical terrain) on shorter skis. Last but not least- yes, demo! Otherwise this will get very expensive. Powder7’s trade in program loves my mistakes. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
Yes @tinymoose lots of camber will be better, but also the total shape. Beginners need a stable base, so a not too narrow ski is ideal. Wider skis - 80 and up will have issues for a beginner to learn how to carve. It will take so long to get them up on edge as they are not used to it. Someone like @nopoleskier or @MaineSkiLady with years of experience can lay down trenches with wide skis.

There are so many factors that go into why you like or don't like a ski. Side cut dimensions, flex, floppy tips, too stiff, too soft, camber, rocker and tune.

One of the biggest issues with teaching carving skills is getting the student to trust their skis. You've got to know that once that ski is out there and on edge it will stay. For everyone there a correct ski. Some find a certain ski too soft, others same ski it too stiff. Some find the turn radius is not to their liking, ie side cut.

There is an interesting thread on SkiTalk about narrower skis...."I have a confession" is the name.

And that's why we demo!! @TiffAlt look in description for a "front side" carver.
Also I would never buy a ski based on the top sheet. There are some I would not for sure. Not into skulls etc. If I bought based on colours, I'm sure I would not be skiing orange, red and black skis. But I love my Rossi Hero's.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My two cents: getting “too much ski” (too heavy/stiff, too long) will really get in the way of learning. And when I say learning, I mean for the long term, not just someone’s first season. I’m definitely still learning, many years into it.

I also agree with @Susan L when it comes to length of skis. Im 5’7”, 155 lb and my skis are in the 158-161 cm range. I think it helps develop “feel” faster in your feet. I have heard a lot of people talk about finding speed limits on skis. I had an experience like that last year with my longest pair (the irony). Then I spent a while on the bunny hill this season doing fore aft drills, and the issue was gone. I love the skis now.
In my case, it was my technique, and not the skis that was the issue. I never ski over 40-45mph according to Ski Tracks, so I can’t say I ever found the speed limit of my skis.
People that ski faster might have a different experience.
Anyway, I wanted to put a different perspective out there along the lines of Susan’s comment, because I think most people in this forum are biased toward longer skis. I find learning much easier (on groomers too, not only technical terrain) on shorter skis. Last but not least- yes, demo! Otherwise this will get very expensive. Powder7’s trade in program loves my mistakes. :smile:
Funny you say bc I have the Voklk Kenja and I feel like they DEMAND speed. I just ordered the joy and have read people think they are "flimsier", but I also ordered CARV, so I intend to take myself on the greens/blues and force myself to go slower!

Reactions: RJ*

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny you say bc I have the Voklk Kenja and I feel like they DEMAND speed. I just ordered the joy and have read people think they are "flimsier", but I also ordered CARV, so I intend to take myself on the greens/blues and force myself to go slower!
Oooh...let me know how you like the joys. What length did you end up ordering?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HI! So glad you are demoing!! Yes, I love my Liberty V76W's they definitely are a carving ski- (i come from race background) they reward good skiing, they are pretty forgiving. I've skied them on frozen corduroy and in 6" of snow both powder and spring slush-I don't think they are a beginner ski-they like to be on edge but will skid- I love them so much, I have a back up pair I got on sale when my current pair get used up. As for weight of skis- Demo bindings are notoriously heavier than regular bindings, my V76W's do have demo bindings on them but they aren't that bad. If you can demo them do try them! Some love them, some sell them.

My Old Blizzard Black Pearls 88's are my spring skiing skis. I hate that they are floppy tips on hard pack- hurts my old knees BUT they are very easy to boss around in piles of spring corn and big bumps.. you might want to keep yours for out west or days at your Mt w/freshies or spring conditions. Yes you can ski bumps and deep snow on a narrow ski, bumps are fine but heavy snow works my old knees too much. Your 88's at your height and weight should be fine up to 10" of Western dry powder :-) and still carve. Of course getting 88+ over on edge does use your knees more- it's pretty fun on narrow skis to have the quick side to side transfer.

I agree as others have mentioned, Please do not pick a ski on color! For me, all the years I've skied, seems once I find a manufacturer that I like I tend to like all of their skis- Since you like the Blizzard feel, I'll suggest you try a narrower Blizzard - the Phoenix is a Great Carver- there is a 13 and a 14- I liked the 14 alot- it was stable, easy turning and forgiving- forgiving to me means if you get in the back seat or off balance, you won't get bucked off and they are easy to control. The 13 is more tame than the 14. Atomic makes some nice lady carvers- the cloud series, the higher the number the more serious and unforgiving the ski. Since You are lighter weight I think you can ski a shorter ski, being able to 'bend' the ski is important. Too long you will be working more to turn the ski, too short you will over power the ski and the tips get squirrely. Demoing is really the best way to see what you like- if you can try on same day same conditions really is fun and sorts out the good and the bad. I take notes on demo days and photos of ski and size.

I'll give my Kudo's to Powder 7 they are AN AWESOME Shop!! I traded some ginormous liberty 106's that were way too much ski for my old knees and got a pair of Blizzard Sheeva 10's - I loved the free shipping and service. I demo'd the sheeva's in nearly 2ft of powder at Alta last year- they float incredibly- we need float in piles of snow to stay up and not sink in, why you might want to keep your 88BP's for trips out west, they are a good powder ski- packed groomed or freshies. Demoing Out west finding a ski under 80 may be tough.

Stockli's OMG- danger warning will rogers- they are an incredible ski- not for everyone, although I am lusting after the Laser CX- 69 under foot!! it was a pocket rocket ski for me, felt like I had ice skates on- LOVED being on edge and had no speed limit--But that can be a problem for learning to carve- Being on a Maserati that goes 0-60 in 20yds is tough to get used too. I also loved the Stockli Montero everyone is a hero skier on that ski (80 under foot)

Have fun demoing!! Looking forward to hearing your reviews of what you tried!

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a note; if you buy skis you aren’t super into graphically, you can always customize them with stickers and they even make full custom vinyl wraps that protect and create a new graphic for your ski! If you get smooth surface skis (most skis have a smooth top sheet) then you can decorate with stickers to your hearts content and then protect the entire surface of the ski with the Tognar ski vinyl protector:
I customized the boring topsheet of my Salomon’s using this method:
E68F9E54-91C3-445F-B356-B81F116DB3BD.jpeg

54F1103B-8BC8-4EEC-94AA-B94B7B618611.jpeg33196FE0-5FFB-4059-9408-7C740451CDFC.jpeg

I generally think that there are enough skis on the market that you can usually get something that looks decent to you and also feels decent. But after demoing and trying different skis over the years, my favorites that I loved to ski were rarely what caught my eye. My current Moment Sierras are honestly my least favorite art of the Moment ski line: not horrible, but I loved the previous years’ art and the Moment Bella’s art which looks like it belongs in a museum. But I absolutely love my Sierras and they make me so happy to ski them, so I’m just going to add my signature bird stickers to their tails and not worry about the art. Most likely if you love to ride your skis, they will grow on you, especially if you personalize them!

8870A5E4-AFEA-4AF3-90E2-5EA08E4F6FFD.jpeg

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TiffAlt look in description for a "front side" carver.
I think this is exactly what I was looking for!!! LOL, jack of all trades, master of none though, LMAO.

My husband is a total enabler (I mean this man has 4 bikes and all for different terrain) and thinks I should just get another pair to "complement" my Blizzard Pearls, so I probably won't be trading them in. He thinks something in the mid 70s sounds good after I obsessively consumed Gearopedia (thanks again @Jilly dunno how I missed it!) and then talked his ear off about it. Watch he's saying it to shut me up, but alls well that ends well right? :rotf:

That said my powder7 demo list is now looking like:
2020 Liberty V76s @151 (called Powder7 and they confirmed these are lighter than my Blizzard Pearls)
2021 Head Absolut Joy @ 148 (78 waist. Several liked including @marzNC)
2023 Blizzard Phoenix 7.2 @ 153
2022 Volkl Flair 76 @ 147
2021 Dynastar Intense 4x4 75 Pro @ 151

And all you Divas with expensive tastes here, I found this demo:
2022 Stockli Nela 80 @ 149 ($849 for "good" condition - a 7/10)

Too short for my friend at 5'5 but pint sized for yours truly :becky:

Interestingly, Powder7 thought it'd be a mistake for me to go narrower than mid-70s since I am in the west. I know @Analisa skis around here and has recommended low 80s for intermediates in another thread, but do you think mid-70s will also work?

I can find skis elsewhere too, but really like the whole program at Powder7, so even if I don't trade in now, I think I may want to use them even just to buy as support for them!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna