• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying demo skis...

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Preface: I know this is probably going to sound very silly, but I still feel like I've bought "too much ski". Or maybe not the right ski for what I want. Or feel free to tell me it's me, not the ski, because it may be since I basically fell deeply in love with skiing this Thanksgiving and try to get in at least a half day twice a week - usually open to close on weekends. Basically, I may be letting my neuroses get the best of me.

Stats: 40 years old, 5'2 ish (maaaaybe slightly shorter, 5' 1 and a half) 110 pounds.

I have the Blizzard Pearl 88 in 147 and I do think they are a good ski. They really allowed me to go fast with a ton more confidence than I had on my rentals (Rossi Exp 78 @ 136). However, I want to learn speed control and graduate to carving before I will feel 100% comfortable charging again without anxiety (though yea, it's fun). At the slower speeds that I've been doing with my instructor to really get the mechanics down, they feel like... well... planks.

So I've started to think I need another ski with a smaller waist and LIGHTER. I've been looking at my options to demo. They're kinda sparse since they seem to mostly demo 90MM and up here in the PNW, even for women, but I've found a few options.

Skis I know I'll be able to demo:
2023 Volkl Yumi 84 @ 154 ***
Rossi Exp 82 Basalt W @ 151
Salomon Stance 80 W @151
Head Kore 85 W @ 156
K2 Alliance 85 @ 156

^^^ Notes:
Most of these are not lightweight though. I'm also biased towards 80 - 84 waist, but beggars can't be choosers, right? With exception of the Yumi, I'd be demoing the rest when I got to Mt Bachelor in April.

Skis I really like the specs of based on soothski.com, but I can't find to demo:
Head Total Joy @153
Armada Reliance 82 Ti @ 150
Nordica Santa Ana 84 @ 151 (or the next size up since these have a lot of rocker and less effective edge)

^^^ Notes:
These all have specs I really like including being lighter than my current BPs according to the site.

The only ski that I CAN find to demo and I really like the specs on is the Yumi, which I highlighted and am demoing this Saturday. I know exactly the year on it too, so that's why I included it on that one. Crystal has their demo fleet for sale as they are getting new skis in, so I could technically buy it from them with the demo bindings for around $560. I do not know the condition as I haven't seen them in person and am not sure what I'd need to look for, but they are 2023, how bad could they be? It's not likely to be a commonly reserved size right?

OK THIS IS THE ACTUAL QUESTION FROM THE THREAD TITLE:
I can also find most of these skis as used demos in my size in varying condition and in varying years, most from powder7. Should I buy demos? What should I look out for if you think buying demos is a good idea? Powder7 has broad "conditions" on their demos. Do you have any other words of wisdom there? I'm attracted to it because I already spent a bundle on my BP 88s and I don't think I want to give them up? But if I'm adding to my quiver, I want it to be something lower priced. Apprehensive as to whether I'll actually love or hate the Yumis. And if I love them, damn, what if I bought them on the spot?

BTW, I TOTALLY need this shirt:
1679607286387.png

Last edited:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't see enough difference between the skis you mention and your BP's. If you want to learn how to carve, look for a front side carver. They will most likely be under 78mm.
Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere to demo < 80 waist skis, but what do you think about buying demos of Powder7 then?

I was intrigued by those options for sure. Any you'd specifically recommend? Maybe one of the Joy series from Head? My "ski lesson classmate" who has become a good friend and ski buddy has the Head Supershape. She likes how light they are, but wants a wider ski for our conditions. I think they're like 66.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere to demo < 80 waist skis, but what do you think about buying demos of Powder7 then?

I was intrigued by those options for sure. Any you'd specifically recommend? Maybe one of the Joy series from Head? My "ski lesson classmate" who has become a good friend and ski buddy has the Head Supershape. She likes how light they are, but wants a wider ski for our conditions. I think they're like 66.
BTW, I may or may not have some major carving envy because of this and she can get up on edge SO easily. Thing of beauty. She has lots of trouble in powder on them though and we have our fair share of that too, so...

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Preface: I know this is probably going to sound very silly, but I still feel like I've bought "too much ski". Or maybe not the right ski for what I want. Or feel free to tell me it's me, not the ski, because it may be since I basically fell deeply in love with skiing this Thanksgiving and try to get in at least a half day twice a week - usually open to close on weekends. Basically, I may be letting my neuroses get the best of me.

Stats: 40 years old, 5'2 ish (maaaaybe slightly shorter, 5' 1 and a half) 110 pounds.

I have the Blizzard Pearl 88 in 147 and I do think they are a good ski. They really allowed me to go fast with a ton more confidence than I had on my rentals (Rossi Exp 78 @ 136). However, I want to learn speed control and graduate to carving before I will feel 100% comfortable charging again without anxiety (though yea, it's fun). At the slower speeds that I've been doing with my instructor to really get the mechanics down, they feel like... well... planks.

So I've started to think I need another ski with a smaller waist and LIGHTER. I've been looking at my options to demo. They're kinda sparse since they seem to mostly demo 90MM and up here in the PNW, even for women, but I've found a few options.

Skis I know I'll be able to demo:
2023 Volkl Yumi 84 @ 154 ***
Rossi Exp 82 Basalt W @ 151
Salomon Stance 80 W @151
Head Kore 85 W @ 156
K2 Alliance 85 @ 156

^^^ Notes:
Most of these are not lightweight though. I'm also biased towards 80 - 84 waist, but beggars can't be choosers, right? With exception of the Yumi, I'd be demoing the rest when I got to Mt Bachelor in April.

Skis I really like the specs of based on soothski.com, but I can't find to demo:
Head Total Joy @153
Armada Reliance 82 Ti @ 150
Nordica Santa Ana 84 @ 151 (or the next size up since these have a lot of rocker and less effective edge)

^^^ Notes:
These all have specs I really like including being lighter than my current BPs according to the site.

The only ski that I CAN find to demo and I really like the specs on is the Yumi, which I highlighted and am demoing this Saturday. I know exactly the year on it too, so that's why I included it on that one. Crystal has their demo fleet for sale as they are getting new skis in, so I could technically buy it from them with the demo bindings for around $560. I do not know the condition as I haven't seen them in person and am not sure what I'd need to look for, but they are 2023, how bad could they be? It's not likely to be a commonly reserved size right?

OK THIS IS THE ACTUAL QUESTION FROM THE THREAD TITLE:
I can also find most of these skis as used demos in my size in varying condition and in varying years, most from powder7. Should I buy demos? What should I look out for if you think buying demos is a good idea? Powder7 has broad "conditions" on their demos. Do you have any other words of wisdom there? I'm attracted to it because I already spent a bundle on my BP 88s and I don't think I want to give them up? But if I'm adding to my quiver, I want it to be something lower priced. Apprehensive as to whether I'll actually love or hate the Yumis. And if I love them, damn, what if I bought them on the spot?

BTW, I TOTALLY need this shirt:
View attachment 20849
The T-shirt describes me perfectly!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’d check the camber of demo skis before buying. You don’t want to buy anything that has been so used that has lost the camber. You can call Powder7 and speak to someone and have them send pictures of the skis to you just to make sure.
As for true carving, you need some speed. So if you are going at slow speed+low pitch, anything will feel like planks.

Jilly

Staff member
rocker camber rocker.....not a frontside carver...I think this is their starter all mountain if I remember right.
Sorry I've got a CSIA meeting on the puter tonight. I'll look and see what they might have at powder 7 that could work.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What do you guys think of this? @Jilly it's 78 waist. Should I be worried that they are from 2018 though?

View attachment 20851
They're an all mountain ski, not a carver. I've demoed them back in 2017 as a low intermediate, and they were fun in the slush and easy to turn, but not really a ski for confidence on ice or carving if that's your goal....

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
rocker camber rocker.....not a frontside carver...I think this is their starter all mountain if I remember right.
Sorry I've got a CSIA meeting on the puter tonight. I'll look and see what they might have at powder 7 that could work.
Don't go out of your way. I'm being silly. My BPs will be fine even for carving I'm sure! LOL, I'm sure I need to stop LOOKING to spend money. I just bought my IKON pass. And new boots. My wallet would probably want to kick me to the curb if it wasn't crying so hard.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They're an all mountain ski, not a carver. I've demoed them back in 2017 as a low intermediate, and they were fun in the slush and easy to turn, but not really a ski for confidence on ice or carving if that's your goal....
I guess my confusion is that Powder7 classifies them as a carver. I don't know any better. Thanks fo the feedback!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the powder 7 classification system only uses waist width not rocker profile in their category selection features. Whenever I have called them they have been very helpful on the phone. I think I have purchased at least 4 or 5 pairs there for myself and the family over the years.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.powder7.com/Head-Power-Joy-Skis-153cm-Used-2022/for-sale. I just bought these and haven't gotten yet, but if you are looking for a not too heavy side carver with a race like construction, I think these would get you edge to edge like your friend :smile:
I was totally looking at those, but I'm only worried they won't be able to handle other conditions well as my friend on the supershapes complains they can't handle the sides of even groomed trials well. We both started this year and yea, sometimes the turn gets away from us and becomes a traverse into powder, lol.

But tempting for sure. Nice to hear you think demos are a good buy!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was totally looking at those, but I'm only worried they won't be able to handle other conditions well as my friend on the supershapes complains they can't handle the sides of even groomed trials well. We both started this year and yea, sometimes the turn gets away from us and becomes a traverse into powder, lol.

But tempting for sure. Nice to hear you think demos are a good buy!
I think there's always a bit of trade-off with skis as far as what they handle well. The more you start going for a ski that can "do it all" I think the more you're gonna start navigating back into all-mountain ski territory, which is gonna be harder to learn how to carve/get on edge.

Jilly

Staff member
Again the Liberty states....rocker, camber, rocker. And I've skied with @nopoleskier she can get a pair of Renoun 90's up on edge....

I have the Santa Anna 88's. So they would be a cousin to the the BP88's. (Blizzard and Nordica are sister companies.) My knee's hurt getting them on edge on our eastern groomers. My Rossi Hero's are easy. But the OP doesn't need a Hero. ( At least not in the form of the Rossi ski??) There are many women's front side carvers in the 75mm width out there.

Years ago I had a pair of Rossi Z75. I would love to have those skis back. They were good anywhere...

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Again the Liberty states....rocker, camber, rocker. And I've skied with @nopoleskier she can get a pair of Renoun 90's up on edge....
I'm a total newbie when it comes to this - why is that bad? Does it that it won't hold an edge well? Would love to increase my understanding!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really had checked out the pair that @sorcamc suggested too. My friend on the supershapes is also looking for new skis and she told me if it were up to her, she would not to go as narrow again so she thought the Heads would not be great. We both have teens (and husbands lol) that like to ski into the trees so it's almost like we're both looking for that sweet spot in the middle of what we both have.

She's going up to Whistler shortly and will demo the Volkl Yumi 80's as well as the Blizzard Pearl 78's. Oh and the Stockli Nela 80's. She liked the look of the Liberty V76 I found. I haven't posted a pic of myself, but I have purple highlights and when she saw them she went, "WOW, THEY'LL MATCH YOUR HAIR!!" LMAO.

Am I shallow enough to buy a ski just cause the topsheet is my favorite color? Hmmmm :rotf:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965