• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone planning a Taos Ski Week?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m planning on leaving Alpine Suites in my boots. In 2020 Snakedance was slopeside. Isn’t Alpine fairly close as well? Otherwise I would have booked Snakedance .
Alpine is right next to the drop off area for the parking lot shuttle. Now that there is a bridge across the stream, there are no stairs to get to the plaza where Snakedance, the Hondo, and TSV rental/ski shop are located. Less than a 3 min walk.

The start of the bridge is just past the white tent in the picture below. That's what was on top of the ice skating rink in March 2021. There were picnic tables and heaters inside since no indoor dining was available anywhere at TSV.

TSV entry 20Mar2021 - 3.jpg
TSV entry 20Mar2021 - 1.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
^^Ohmy ohmy. Look at those lovely bumps. Heaven!!
That's Al's Run. I think that's about one third of the length. Per usual, it's steeper than it looks in the pictures. You'll get to see it all riding up Lift 1. Note that Al's Run is a black, not a double-black. Taos double-blacks are not for the faint hearted when it comes to steep pitch, tight trees, and/or big bumps. Of course, if lucky enough to catch a powder storm that changes the situation completely if you know where to go.

The advantage of being in a Ski Week is that on a storm day, the instructor will take the group to some fun terrain appropriate for their ability at that point in the week. Learning tactics is invaluable. For instance, in recent years I've learned how to get into the more manageable section of Lorelei Trees from Lorelei. There is a story behind how I and Jason ended up in Lorelei Trees our first time at Taos in 2017. We bailed to Lorelei from where I stopped to take the picture below.

Edelweiss Glade (black)
TR Edelweiss Glade.jpg

Walkyrie Glade (black)
TR Walkerie Glade (1).jpg

Lorelei Trees (double black), picture taken when seated
TR Lorelei Trees.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those just starting to think that bumps could be fun, there are several places at Taos that are on the side of a groomer to practice. For intermediates, doing a Ski Week in mid-January can be quite fun. There are fewer advanced skiers around since they prefer to wait until the snowpack is deep enough for the expert terrain. Even during good snow seasons that doesn't happen until late January or early February. Snow conditions are great in March, but that's when a lot of Texans enjoy Taos during school spring breaks. There is a reason that value season passes are blacked out in mid-March.

Bumps on the side of Porcupine, Jan 2019
TR Porcupine bumps.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have you ever skied Al's run?
Who are you asking?

I've only skied Al's top to bottom once. That was last March the group that went with me and the teen from NC. He wanted to do it. Since he's loved bumps since he was taught how to ski them at age 8 at Massanutten, it made sense but he didn't want to do it alone. He'd been skiing blacks and double-blacks all week with his Ski Week instructor. I warned him from the start that he might be doing the lower section solo, although expected Bill to keep him company. Snow turned out to be quite nice and deep enough so instead of bailing after the top section, all of us just kept going to the bottom.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Who are you asking?

I've only skied Al's top to bottom once. That was last March the group that went with me and the teen from NC. He wanted to do it. Since he's loved bumps since he was taught how to ski them at age 8 at Massanutten, it made sense but he didn't want to do it alone. He'd been skiing blacks and double-blacks all week with his Ski Week instructor. I warned him from the start that he might be doing the lower section solo, although expected Bill to keep him company. Snow turned out to be quite nice and deep enough so instead of bailing after the top section, all of us just kept going to the bottom.
I know you have!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're staying at Alpine, right? No need to boot up anywhere else. It's a very short walk to the lift from there.

Pretty sure the free cubbies are back in the locker room. But requires walking down metal stairs. No reason to do that when staying slopeside. If too early to check in the day you arrive at TSV and start skiing, can leave the bootbag in the Alpine storage room. Or in the room of one of the Divas who is staying there starting Friday night. That's one of the advantages of going at the same time as other people you know.
No need to walk down metal stairs if you come around the corner at the far left side of building. Just stay on Thunderbird Rd to the left of the ice skating rink.

48734B9D-0FA4-4C5A-BED8-85150BDAD5E0.jpeg15C98C66-1A17-4E7A-8E44-63F9ADD8AF18.jpeg5497E251-0008-47D3-ABE1-F9FED3F51C66.jpeg

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alpine is right next to the drop off area for the parking lot shuttle. Now that there is a bridge across the stream, there are no stairs to get to the plaza where Snakedance, the Hondo, and TSV rental/ski shop are located. Less than a 3 min walk.

The start of the bridge is just past the white tent in the picture below. That's what was on top of the ice skating rink in March 2021. There were picnic tables and heaters inside since no indoor dining was available anywhere at TSV.

View attachment 17727
View attachment 17728
There are still stairs if you take Sutton Place to the base.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you know if we can leave bootbags there or anywhere inside?
Do we have to rent a space to leave the bootbag?
Cubbies are back this year or you can rent day lockers (2 sizes). They are all in the same area - lower level by the bathrooms.
00E3E44B-5E8F-4A89-BD29-EE7E89B101A1.jpegE1C83941-CE6F-4ED4-9D31-91D93C36C8F9.jpeg

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Pre-pandemic my friends and I left our bootbags in the locker room. I don't consider the risk any different than any other destination resort in the Rockies. The only place where people at the ticket desk have ever said that leaving a boot bag was a bad idea was at Mammoth during late season.
You can still leave boot bags, shoes, in the locker room, but I think they want people to use the cubbies, not leave them under the benches anymore. Also, they no longer have the weekly baskets for rent; now you have to pay for a locker if you want to lock your stuff up.
I usually get there early enough on weekdays to use the cubbies - never had a problem.

The Alpine Suites are around the corner from the newly-extended plaza now, but to walk to the lift is about 100 yds on brick, so if you boot up in the rm be sure to bring your cat-tracks for your boot soles.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That snow looks hard, and those bumps look polished. Wide skis are not necessary on them, right? Something between 67 and 80 would do just fine, yes?

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That snow looks hard, and those bumps look polished. Wide skis are not necessary on them, right? Something between 67 and 80 would do just fine, yes?
Depends on if we will get new snow. Like this week was unexpected powder and I’d use my 96. My daily driver is 78 (Laser AX) when there is no new snow for at least a week. Do you have anything in the 80s? I just bought a pair of Nela 88 for the in-between.

marzNC

Angel Diva
No need to walk down metal stairs if you come around the corner at the far left side of building. Just stay on Thunderbird Rd to the left of the ice skating rink.
That's true when arriving from the parking lot. But if using the locker room, sooner or later will need to walk down stairs in ski boots. Not really much reason to do that if staying in slopeside lodging.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I may have a friend willing to go if the price is right. We shall see, would be so much fun!
Lodging in town is much more reasonably priced. The drive is no more than 30 minutes and the mountain road is rarely so snow covered to cause issues. There is a pretty good free bus for ski days.

Arroyo Seco and Arroyo Hondo are reasonable places to look for VRBO/AirBnB lodging options. Note that many roads are unpaved. The tricky part is that getting an AWD rental car isn't that easy in ABQ or Santa Fe.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am visiting TSV for the first time tomorrow arriving via TaosAir, which includes a private transfer to TSV, as well as some other perks.

There is incredible information about Ski Weeks on this forum which was so helpful in my planning, but know that this season there is no bus service to TSV from Taos.

“Due to staffing shortages, the TSV 341 GREEN route to Taos Ski Valley will not be offered for the 2021/22 winter season”. This is per the Chamber of Commerce who has been incredible in answering some if my outlier questions about the area.

I really wanted to have dinner in Taos and experience authentic NM cuisine but without that bus, am unable. If I were looking to ski TSV but have the ability to go into Taos for lodging or dinner this season, I’d definitely want to have a rental car.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Wow -- that's important info! First time I ever remember that shuttle not running! What a bummer! Thanks, @bsskier !

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is incredible information about Ski Weeks on this forum which was so helpful in my planning, but know that this season there is no bus service to TSV from Taos.

“Due to staffing shortages, the TSV 341 GREEN route to Taos Ski Valley will not be offered for the 2021/22 winter season”. This is per the Chamber of Commerce who has been incredible in answering some if my outlier questions about the area.
Ah, that's good to know. When I checked the bus schedule a month or two ago, the intention was to run the TSV bus. It was no surprise that the buses didn't run at all last season. Clearly Omicron has changed the situation for 2021-22.

Just as well the people I know have all ended up in a car for the ride from ABQ or Santa Fe to Taos/TSV.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna