• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone planning a Taos Ski Week?

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I just got back from a fabulous ski trip in Banff with fresh snow and lots of fun turns, yet I and was surprised by how defensive I was skiing at times. I felt pretty intimidated by terrain I know I can handle. Maybe it’s just mindset or working the rust off at the start of the season, but I’m now contemplating a Taos ski week to get back in form. Anyone planning a ski week?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well I just got back from a fabulous ski trip in Banff with fresh snow and lots of fun turns, yet I and was surprised by how defensive I was skiing at times. I felt pretty intimidated by terrain I know I can handle. Maybe it’s just mindset or working the rust off at the start of the season, but I’m now contemplating a Taos ski week to get back in form. Anyone planning a ski week?
Are you talking about this season or next season? There are Divas who are doing Ski Weeks starting this and the next couple weeks. There is an active Meet On The Hill thread.

The Taos Women's Ski Week starts Feb. 27.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Covie would be great to ski with you again! And although Taos Ski Valley isn’t the easiest to get to, the skiing is great.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Is your week full?
Taos Ski Weeks are run every week of the season. The options are to do a ski-off on Sunday morning and get put into a group with skiers of similar ability and interests, or to set up a a Private Ski Week. Some of us who are going in early February set up Private Ski Weeks a few months ago. Advanced reservations for a regular Ski Week are recommended but not required. It does help the ski school to know about how many people to expect for a particular week.

Send me a PM if you would like to know more.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks so much for the info. I did a private ski week almost a decade ago and thought it was a pre organized thing! I’ll check to see if I can book it then look at the costs associated with the whole thing and decide!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks so much for the info. I did a private ski week almost a decade ago and thought it was a pre organized thing! I’ll check to see if I can book it then look at the costs associated with the whole thing and decide!
Regular Ski Weeks never sell out. At least that's my impression. There are times when it's not possible to book a private lesson because more instructors are needed for Ski Weeks. For Taos, the Ski Week is major reason to return year after year for many people. That's certainly been the case for me and quite a few of my friends after we started going to Taos in 2017.

What I've been doing for a few years is picking a week that works for a few friends and then letting others know. Going at the same time has made it easier to find roommates or someone willing to share a rental car. This season the airport shuttle service is operating but the schedule is limited since it's a 3-hour drive so it can be tricky to match up with flight schedules.

Here's the early planning thread from 2019. Note that lodging options have changed since then. The Columbine Inn and Austing Haus are no longer open for regular guests.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you sooo much for the extra info! I’m terrible at searching/shifting through pages of posts for the info I need. I agree about syncing up an airport transfer - very tricky! Last time I went I stayed in Santa Fe for a couple days before the ski week to adjust to the altitude - I live 150 feet above sea level, but maybe that’s unnecessary. I flew right into Aspen and skied with DIYmom without issue. I hate the idea of driving a rental car around solo - such a waste! I may have a friend willing to go if the price is right. We shall see, would be so much fun!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you sooo much for the extra info! I’m terrible at searching/shifting through pages of posts for the info I need. I agree about syncing up an airport transfer - very tricky! Last time I went I stayed in Santa Fe for a couple days before the ski week to adjust to the altitude - I live 150 feet above sea level, but maybe that’s unnecessary. I flew right into Aspen and skied with DIYmom without issue. I hate the idea of driving a rental car around solo - such a waste! I may have a friend willing to go if the price is right. We shall see, would be so much fun!
You're welcome!

I usually arrive in NM a day or two early for altitude adjustment purposes. ABQ is about 5000 ft. Sante Fe and Taos are around 7000 ft. TSV is 9000 ft. This time I'm staying near the ABQ airport for a night, then driving to Taos with a few Divas on Friday. We'll stay there Friday night before moving to slopeside lodging at TSV. However, there are also Divas going directly from the airport to TSV on Saturday.

I live at 300 ft in central NC. :smile:

Note that if you can make it, the altitude adjustment will probably be easier because you were in Banff recently. The red blood cells that are part of adapting to high altitude stick around for 4-6 weeks.

Hope to see you at Taos.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
If you can't find a friend to join you, there is a shuttle from the ABQ airport, Mountain View Shuttle, that has a pretty good schedule (4x/d, each way), and is definitely less expensive than renting a car, esp if you have to go solo. The best car rental rates we found (a couple of mos ago) were at Ace Car Rental, FYI. If you feel the need to acclimate to the altitude, it would be better to stay in Taos for a nite or two, since you can just take the shuttle up to TSV from Taos. Since a few of us will have cars, if you needed to get into town for dinner, shopping, etc, it shouldn't be a problem to snag a ride with someone.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If you feel the need to acclimate to the altitude, it would be better to stay in Taos for a nite or two, since you can just take the shuttle up to TSV from Taos.
The free bus runs reasonably often on a fixed schedule from about 7:30 to 10:30am going up to TSV and then going down starting around 3:00. Of course need to make sure to make the last bus in the late afternoon. Locals sometimes ride the bus in ski boots.

The locker room is available for booting up this season.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I take a prescription med "Diamox" for altitude in Taos . Never had a problem before my first trip to Taos in 2018. And I even stayed the night in Albuquerque and it didn't help me. Then found out about Diamox. Game changer - in 2020 no headaches. Caveat is tingling fingers and have to pee a lot. I'll take that any day over terrible headache.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’m planning on leaving Alpine Suites in my boots. In 2020 Snakedance was slopeside. Isn’t Alpine fairly close as well? Otherwise I would have booked Snakedance .

RJ*

Angel Diva
Do you know if we can leave bootbags there or anywhere inside?
Do we have to rent a space to leave the bootbag?
There are free cubbies (first come first serve) in the locker room, and I see people leave shoes, boot bags etc in there. I haven't tried leaving anything in there yet but I think I will. The people I talked too said they think it is safe, but told me not to leave anything you couldn't part with. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Do you know if we can leave bootbags there or anywhere inside?
Do we have to rent a space to leave the bootbag?
You're staying at Alpine, right? No need to boot up anywhere else. It's a very short walk to the lift from there.

Pretty sure the free cubbies are back in the locker room. But requires walking down metal stairs. No reason to do that when staying slopeside. If too early to check in the day you arrive at TSV and start skiing, can leave the bootbag in the Alpine storage room. Or in the room of one of the Divas who is staying there starting Friday night. That's one of the advantages of going at the same time as other people you know.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There are free cubbies (first come first serve) in the locker room, and I see people leave shoes, boot bags etc in there. I haven't tried leaving anything in there yet but I think I will. The people I talked too said they think it is safe, but told me not to leave anything you couldn't part with. :smile:
Pre-pandemic my friends and I left our bootbags in the locker room. I don't consider the risk any different than any other destination resort in the Rockies. The only place where people at the ticket desk have ever said that leaving a boot bag was a bad idea was at Mammoth during late season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly