• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Clinics

MissySki

Angel Diva
so… @santacruz skier asked if I buy any presents for myself for Christmas in the jacket slut thread — I just bought myself my big gift, the full day women’s alpine clinics at Mad River Glen! See here:

I’ll be there for the January and February sessions.

Oh I’m so jealous! I’d really love to take part in that series.. if the logistics ever made any sense whatsoever. :smile: I look forward to hearing about your experience!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Oh I’m so jealous! I’d really love to take part in that series.. if the logistics ever made any sense whatsoever. :smile: I look forward to hearing about your experience!
I’m just doing the Saturday clinics. I hope to eventually transition to working for myself and the weekday clinics are definitely on my list for the future!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowbird has three slopeside buildings with lodging. The Cliff is the fanciest one. There is also the Lodge at Snowbird and the Inn at Snowbird. Plus Iron Blosam, which is a timeshare building that also rents units. All are a short walk to a base lift. If not at the Cliff, can either walk or take the free resort shuttle bus that runs pretty frequently.

There is absolutely no reason to get a rental car when staying at Snowbird. Not too many options for restaurants but enough for a short stay. Snowbird has a resort "village" that include a small grocery store, but going to LCC is about the skiing at Snowbird or Alta, not a resort town experience.

Looks like you don't have to stay at Snowbird. Although that's probably the best approach. After a full day on the slopes, having to drive or ride the bus down the canyon would not be my first choice.

View attachment 16724
A big harrumphing bah humbug from me. I signed up based on Mermer Blakeslee being the guest coach. I just got an email from the snow school with the schedule for the camp. Nowhere is Mermer listed. I went to the Snowbird site, and again, no mention of Mermer anywhere now. Did I get an email at any time about the change in guest coach? Nope. Just a brief mention today in the camp schedule of "some slight adjustments." So a complete change of guest coach is just considered a "slight adjustment?" Not even a cursory apology for the change? I'm sure the two head coaches are excellent.

But, but.... No fair!

Jenny

Angel Diva
so… @santacruz skier asked if I buy any presents for myself for Christmas in the jacket slut thread — I just bought myself my big gift, the full day women’s alpine clinics at Mad River Glen! See here:

I’ll be there for the January and February sessions.
Nice! When we retire we're going to spend a ski season somewhere that I can do a multiple week program.

newboots

Angel Diva
So a complete change of guest coach is just considered a "slight adjustment?" Not even a cursory apology for the change?

So sorry, Kiki! That really is lousy. And the way they handled it was awful!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
A big harrumphing bah humbug from me. I signed up based on Mermer Blakeslee being the guest coach. I just got an email from the snow school with the schedule for the camp. Nowhere is Mermer listed. I went to the Snowbird site, and again, no mention of Mermer anywhere now. Did I get an email at any time about the change in guest coach? Nope. Just a brief mention today in the camp schedule of "some slight adjustments." So a complete change of guest coach is just considered a "slight adjustment?" Not even a cursory apology for the change? I'm sure the two head coaches are excellent.

But, but.... No fair!
If that was the main reason you signed-up, it seems like a good reason to request a refund.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

But, but.... No fair!
Did they replace Mermer with Carol Levine for your camp?

newboots

Angel Diva
If that was the main reason you signed-up, it seems like a good reason to request a refund.
That might not help with airfare, lodging, etc.

I feel your pain! Sounds like good news about the replacements, though.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Booo. My Mad River Glen women’s clinic for this Saturday is postponed due to lack of terrain. They have all of five trails open. I’ll probably end up canceling and doing a private lesson or two instead, just because of how my schedule this season is lining up.

I snuck out for a long lunch though (I live 20 minutes away), and was lucky enough it started snowing while I was there! Nothing crazy, but a nice snow globe effect that lightly refreshed the skied off surfaces. I just lapped their race hill to work on building my confidence on slightly skied off stuff.

newboots

Angel Diva
Booo. My Mad River Glen women’s clinic for this Saturday is postponed due to lack of terrain. They have all of five trails open. I’ll probably end up canceling and doing a private lesson or two instead, just because of how my schedule this season is lining up.

I snuck out for a long lunch though (I live 20 minutes away), and was lucky enough it started snowing while I was there! Nothing crazy, but a nice snow globe effect that lightly refreshed the skied off surfaces. I just lapped their race hill to work on building my confidence on slightly skied off stuff.
Aren't you getting snow overnight? I'm unsure of exactly who is getting it, but there are two storm systems running over the Northeast in the next 2 days.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Aren't you getting snow overnight? I'm unsure of exactly who is getting it, but there are two storm systems running over the Northeast in the next 2 days.
Unfortunately not much - maybe 2” if we’re lucky. Not enough to open the main mountain to advanced beginners and lower intermediates!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She's a rock star. I'd pick her over Mermer any say!
I can't let that pass. I know Mermer from spending numerous 5-day weeks skiing under her tutelage. I've also skied with Robin Barnes and Deb Armstrong, Mike Rogan, Matt Boyd, Jeb Boyd, and Bob Barnes (the one from Winter Park), and some other higher-ups in PSIA whose names I can't remember right now.

I would pick Mermer (a rock star) over anybody, any day. It's her teaching style, her determination to figure out how to offer her expertise to students in a way that leads to their success, and her individualized attention to each skier in front of her that separates her from the other rock stars. She talks about how she has decided what to have the group focus on, what it will do for us, and why it will work better than other approaches. Plus, she's funny. We laugh a lot.

Finding a teacher who is great is not just about finding a skier with high level skiing ability.

Carol Levine may be as effective as a teacher as Mermer, and as fascinating a person to work with, and I hope she is, but I don't know since I haven't skied with her.

I'm looking forward to the trip report!

Last edited:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Clearly word got around that I had asked about Mermer's absence. Glad I just asked and didn't make a stink! My coach keeps quoting Mermer for me though:smile: More later since I need to finish getting ready and hustle down to the lockers to meet up with someone. But my coach is Jackie Devlin, and yesterday after lunch Carol skied with our group too. Also went to her talk on boots yesterday.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Clearly word got around that I had asked about Mermer's absence. Glad I just asked and didn't make a stink! My coach keeps quoting Mermer for me though:smile: More later since I need to finish getting ready and hustle down to the lockers to meet up with someone. But my coach is Jackie Devlin, and yesterday after lunch Carol skied with our group too. Also went to her talk on boots yesterday.
Can't wait to read your trip report.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@diymom, are you ready to give us a trip report yet? If yes, tell us about the fun you had, and what you worked on in the clinic. We'd (I'd) love to hear all about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna