• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Clinics

Elena_Ski

Certified Ski Diva
Awesome reports, thanks for sharing! Looks like the intermediate group has more instructors than students LOL (love that!)

The Taos Ski Weeks are unique because it's not just a "clinic" during a certain week for a given ability level. It's a 6-morning lesson program offered all during the season. There can be as many classes as necessary to accommodate whoever is taking a Ski Week starting on Sunday (or Monday if necessary). I've been there when about 75 people were sorted into classes of no more than 7 students, ranging from advanced beginner to expert.

Here are a couple of trip reports for Ski Weeks in January that included intermediates.

The week of Feb. 5, 2023 there were 6-7 classes. The least experience skier was starting off on Sunday in a group of 1. She looked like an advanced beginner just started to ski easy blues. The next group was four women who were not ready for bumps yet. A friend who was at Taos for the first time was in that group.

Feb. 5 Taos Ski Week ski off in progress, intermediates on the lower left
View attachment 20504

Elena_Ski

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for mentioning the IKON pass. I'm thinking I'll get it next year and head down to Taos. I'm super inspired now!
Regarding private lessons, will need to save up for that... they are PRICEY!

Do you have a ski area near where you live? If yes, have you considered taking private lessons there? For skill-building, finding an instructor you like who gets to know you over time and taking lessons from that person to target exactly what your skiing needs can be a highly successful approach.

You could take several lessons over the season with time in between to practice what you're being taught. You would be working on the skills needed to replace those z-shaped turns with round ones. Learning to make round turns with a short radius, ones that don't end up with you skidding out, will give you control over your speed on blue terrain. With that control you can explore so much more of any mountain's offerings.

Private lessons don't offer the social advantages of a camp, but if spaced out over a season they can be quite successful in helping you advance.

If you don't live close enough to do day trips to a local ski area, then the next best thing might be that Taos Ski Week option. You will be placed in a group according to your ability. At your level your group would be working on groomer skiing. The Taos Ski Week consists of 6 morning lessons, Sunday - Friday, 9:30-12:00. This schedule gives you the afternoons to practice what you've learned, and you can ski with others in your group in the afternoons if you like. They run all season, and you can sign up the day of.

Taos is on the Ikon pass. Do you have that?

Elena_Ski

Certified Ski Diva
That's great to know they have camps in March and April. I might join next year if I'm back in Canada. Are you skiing in Whistler this season?
Whistler's on Epic pass now, which includes a bunch of resorts in the States as well. I started in Whistler as a beginner and what I love about it is that you can get to the very top of the Peak chair and get the famous "top of the world" experience and then ski down all the way to the bottom of the mountain on easy green runs.

Are you looking for this year or next? Whistler has another women's camp in April. I'm hoping I can go to one of their camps next season (still a beginner, hopefully I will progress more by the end of the season).

Edited to add: they have a March one too

marzNC

Angel Diva
Awesome reports, thanks for sharing! Looks like the intermediate group has more instructors than students LOL (love that!)
Haha! The instructors at the ski-off towards the bottom of the slope in the picture are extras. Meaning as the groups are getting organized, the supervisor has the option of pulling in another instructor if a given ability level has too many students. The max is 7, but very often a class will be 4-6 students.

Regarding private lessons, will need to save up for that... they are PRICEY!
Depending on the ski school, there are times when a group lesson can be a good approach for an aspiring intermediate. My friend did group lessons at Alta during a few spring break trips with her kids. The first time she was skiing greens the first couple days before starting lessons. She has had very experienced instructors (Level 3, 20+ years of experience) either as a solo lesson or with one other student.

xxs_skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's great to know they have camps in March and April. I might join next year if I'm back in Canada. Are you skiing in Whistler this season?
Whistler's on Epic pass now, which includes a bunch of resorts in the States as well. I started in Whistler as a beginner and what I love about it is that you can get to the very top of the Peak chair and get the famous "top of the world" experience and then ski down all the way to the bottom of the mountain on easy green runs.
It'll be my first time skiing there mid-March. During Spring break so the crowds will probably be a bit bananas.

I didn't know you could ski all the way from the top on easy green runs. That's definitely a thigh burner!

Edited to add: let me know if you do the camp next year, it'd be great to have a buddy (even if it's only for apres)

Elena_Ski

Certified Ski Diva
It'll be my first time skiing there mid-March. During Spring break so the crowds will probably be a bit bananas.

I didn't know you could ski all the way from the top on easy green runs. That's definitely a thigh burner!

Edited to add: let me know if you do the camp next year, it'd be great to have a buddy (even if it's only for apres)

Absolutely, will let you know about next year. I think you'll love Whistler! You don't have to ski all the way down from the top in one go, they have lots of mid mountain chairs, and you can do comfortable shorter laps on greens. But- if you feel like getting to the very top to enjoy the 360 view, it's available too!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna