• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Where are you skiing this season and what are your goals?

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My goal is to continue to grow as a skier. Last year was a breakthrough season for me in that I had an instructor for a 7 week clinic I took in western Massachusetets that really made a difference for me. She had this fantastic approach and really helped me break out of my hump. I also took a 2 day clinic with an instructor and a psycholoigist at Magic who really helped with the mental part of skiing. Last season was a great one for me so I hope to build on that.

MissySki

Angel Diva
My goal is to continue to grow as a skier. Last year was a breakthrough season for me in that I had an instructor for a 7 week clinic I took in western Massachusetets that really made a difference for me. She had this fantastic approach and really helped me break out of my hump. I also took a 2 day clinic with an instructor and a psycholoigist at Magic who really helped with the mental part of skiing. Last season was a great one for me so I hope to build on that.
That sounds very cool! Is the person at Magic who is a psychologist always there on staff, or was it a visiting clinic?

mustski

Angel Diva
I am starting to consider taking a lesson or two as well. The instructor who taught my short private lesson last April got in touch with me recently and got me thinking about it. Even though I skied quite a few days last spring, I'm feeling rather tentative going into this season and especially thinking of skiing in Colorado or Utah. I will see how I do when I actually get on the slopes.
Let me know when you’re hitting Mammoth and I can try to come meet you. We head to Reno on Sunday for a couple of weeks so Mammoth will be driving distance.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Let me know when you’re hitting Mammoth and I can try to come meet you. We head to Reno on Sunday for a couple of weeks so Mammoth will be driving distance.
We're getting pretty antsy to ski. The condo is free through 12/13 so we will try to get up there before then.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm going to Tahoe week of Dec 10 and no snow on the horizon.....

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Makes me wonder if there is something to be revamped in the teaching progression there, especially for adult learners? When I started skiing I was convinced I would never even ski bumps, because why would I ever need or what to do that?!?! I almost 100% avoided them for YEARS when starting out. When I eventually began wanting to give them a try, it was so foreign of a feeling and brought back all of my fears from my full on beginner days. It was awful and like I couldn’t ski at all. It was a slooooow progression to get where I am now, which is being able to get down most bump runs I want to ski wherever I go.. but I’m still endlessly working on trying to find more speed (I’m quite slow in bumps overall), continued flow, and confidence when it gets steeper. It feels like the progress is still snail paced.. and perhaps it’s just that it’s hard to see it happening over time at every increment even though it does keep building.. but yeah I sure wish it had been emphasized more for me earlier on. Though who knows if I would have been willing to listen and try them earlier in my ski learnings either?? I had it in my mind that they were only for very advanced skiers at that time, and I should not be anywhere near them.

This year on my first two days of the season I skied bumps and big snowmaking whales much of the days. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten into it so quickly before with the terrain that’s usually started opening with where I ski. And it was one of those times that I thought.. wow this feels pretty natural and easy, I am not even thinking about it I’m just trying to feel it and get my balance dialed in. And truly they weren’t steep or complicated bumps, they were small and on green and blue trails.. but not too long ago there is no way I would have been doing that without a lot more anxiety and potentially trouble getting through it on opening day. So that has to be progress, right?? Lol In general my first run or two of the season I still always feel like I’ve never skied in my life.. I keep hoping that will go away but it hasn’t yet! :rotf:
I hear you…. I wonder if women in general get too much in their heads?.. I wish it was like when I was a kid and just flew over and down everything. Now I think about what my toes are doing, all the way up to my head and stance. lol. Go enjoy!

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Where in MA?

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
Love this one! Stealing. I may have to change this to walk or ski beneath the full moon each month in case I’m in a non-snowy place. Thanks @Slow Sarah!
You are very welcome. Unrelated to skiing if you ever find yourself able to swim somewhere that has bioluminescence in the water jump in! If you are lucky enough to get in before the moon rises you can see the sparkles at their brightest. After the rise it is epic: sparkles below the water, bright moon above!

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
I have three Whistler ski camps booked at the end of January, February and March.
I found a six week group lesson on Wednesdays at Crystal Mountain, WA that I might do as well. The price is excellent for the number of lessons plus I will be able to practice afterward on a (hopefully!) less crowded mid-week slope.
Realistically I may have to dial back the lessons but have to figure out how…(…oh how…oh why?)
I may opt for Whistler only in March so that I am in better shape and hopefully have learned more before the camp.
I will also be at Stevens Pass, and Snoqualmie Pass WA some midweek days this December and plan to be at both places weekend nights next year. I may do early mornings at Snoqualmie on weekends before it gets crowded.
If I am lucky I will get at least one day at White Pass as well, possibly for the spring festival.

Goals: ski beneath at least one full moon each month at any location.
Improve my skills in bumps and in crud.
Build confidence in bumps and steeper areas and increase stamina so I can safely explore later in the day.
Make at least one carpool/ski buddy.

I hope to ski with my daughter again when she is enjoying herself. She used to blast past me and was just so crazy happy. She was in my old oversized ski boots that she had learned in. Somehow these boots by the end of the first season became too painful for her flat feet. We are on the second (more substantial) fitted boot with custom insoles and she seems more miserable than ever. I am desperately hoping the insoles she has worn in her shoes this summer will help. I miss that goof-happy face.
I have officially cancelled January and February and plan to sign up for Wednesdays at Crystal January and February.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hopefully skiing as many days as my age, I would like to hit triple digits after getting hurt on day 13 last Dec 2022-- I have multiple passes..Full EPIC/IKON/ NY3, and my Local Mt. I'm now able to go Skiing at Gore/Whiteface- My local weekend/holiday Mt opens Dec 9th, I'm Going on a Jan Ski safari to Sunapee, Loon, Cannon and ?? weather will decide. I have a trip to Park City then to Taos. I'll home for a bit do my PSIA upgrade at Gore, then to Telluride. March still deciding- maybe another ski safari to NH and Maine. I am going to Aleyska and on way back I'm thinking Reno- it's long flight back to albany so may as well stop and ski since I have Epic I will hope they stay open mid April. I am thrilled to be back on snow, I will keep working on getting the legs stronger and stronger for longer ski days :-)

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds very cool! Is the person at Magic who is a psychologist always there on staff, or was it a visiting clinic?

No it was a visiting clinic. The ski instructor works there but Dr. Chrissy just worked with Magic for this one set of clinics. Hoping they do it again this year.

mustski

Angel Diva
I am going to Aleyska and on way back I'm thinking Reno- it's long flight back to albany so may as well stop and ski since I have Epic I will hope they stay open mid April. I am thrilled to be back on snow, I will keep working on getting the legs stronger and stronger for longer ski days :-)
You are welcome to stay with us in Reno! We’d love to see you. Ikon works too and Tahoe will be open to the end of April for sure.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are welcome to stay with us in Reno! We’d love to see you. Ikon works too and Tahoe will be open to the end of April for sure.
Thank you!! I would love to have you show me around, I've never really skied Tahoe, did get a few hours in at Alpine meadows in a blizzard, only the little bit on the front was open so I didn't really ski it!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thank you!! I would love to have you show me around, I've never really skied Tahoe, did get a few hours in at Alpine meadows in a blizzard, only the little bit on the front was open so I didn't really ski it!
And maybe I’ll be skiing then as have both Ikon and Epic…..

newbieM

Angel Diva
Last season was a hot mess for me - new boots that felt impossible to break in, realized the fitter left an insole under my custom one when they were getting punched out and I didn’t notice until a day of skiing feeling totally off and dying in pain. Another trip had a mountain tour only to have the guide get mixed up, send me down some ungroomed terrain that ended up sinking me hip deep and taking almost an hour to get out of. I just never really hit my groove last season and my confidence felt at an all time low.

This season I hope to be scared less and more confident - less in my own head. Hopefully get a little more adventurous so I can ski with my friends.

I’ll be skiing in SLC area - Alta, Brighton, Solitude, Powder mountain. I’ve got three trips planned so far. I get to take my 10 year old out for his first trip - he wants to try snow boarding so I hope he has an amazing time. He gets a little anxious but he’s agreed to do ski school so I hope he gets a great instructor that shows him how awesome it is. It will be his first time seeing snow so I’m excited. Hopefully I can try some SoCal skiing this year too. In SLC I have friends and a home base with gear and here in SoCal I would be solo so I haven’t tried that out yet

If I can afford it I would love some lessons but that’s doubtful. I’ve been starting to exercise again after having a super stressful year and gaining 10lbs - running, squats and core - so I can be stronger this season.

this year I’m going to work on the mental game. And hope for an awesome season continuing to feel so fortunate to have picked up this new sport.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna