• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Where are you skiing this season and what are your goals?

Amie H

Angel Diva
Hit us up! We have a guest room! I’d love to hang out more this time around.
Thanks, yes, when out there let's ski together for sure! If I'm in Reno, I stay 100% comped with VIP perks so no need to make the guest room bed, :wink:

In fact, feel free to come hot tub over at my hotel. I often have comp offers at various steakhouses around town, so maybe dinner, too? I can't wait to get back to Reno soon.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I had a dollar for every contributor that mentioned the word bumps as part of their goals, I would be a rich skier. That third dimensionality on snow is such a brain teaser!

Not skiing anywhere but home this winter, but planning a trip for next winter for my 55th birthday. Canada or Europe. Staying in the same time zone sure is nice though, so leaning to my first canada trip ever in winter.

MissySki

Angel Diva
If I had a dollar for every contributor that mentioned the word bumps as part of their goals, I would be a rich skier. That third dimensionality on snow is such a brain teaser!

Not skiing anywhere but home this winter, but planning a trip for next winter for my 55th birthday. Canada or Europe. Staying in the same time zone sure is nice though, so leaning to my first canada trip ever in winter.
Makes me wonder if there is something to be revamped in the teaching progression there, especially for adult learners? When I started skiing I was convinced I would never even ski bumps, because why would I ever need or what to do that?!?! I almost 100% avoided them for YEARS when starting out. When I eventually began wanting to give them a try, it was so foreign of a feeling and brought back all of my fears from my full on beginner days. It was awful and like I couldn’t ski at all. It was a slooooow progression to get where I am now, which is being able to get down most bump runs I want to ski wherever I go.. but I’m still endlessly working on trying to find more speed (I’m quite slow in bumps overall), continued flow, and confidence when it gets steeper. It feels like the progress is still snail paced.. and perhaps it’s just that it’s hard to see it happening over time at every increment even though it does keep building.. but yeah I sure wish it had been emphasized more for me earlier on. Though who knows if I would have been willing to listen and try them earlier in my ski learnings either?? I had it in my mind that they were only for very advanced skiers at that time, and I should not be anywhere near them.

This year on my first two days of the season I skied bumps and big snowmaking whales much of the days. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten into it so quickly before with the terrain that’s usually started opening with where I ski. And it was one of those times that I thought.. wow this feels pretty natural and easy, I am not even thinking about it I’m just trying to feel it and get my balance dialed in. And truly they weren’t steep or complicated bumps, they were small and on green and blue trails.. but not too long ago there is no way I would have been doing that without a lot more anxiety and potentially trouble getting through it on opening day. So that has to be progress, right?? Lol In general my first run or two of the season I still always feel like I’ve never skied in my life.. I keep hoping that will go away but it hasn’t yet! :rotf:

brooksnow

Angel Diva
Makes me wonder if there is something to be revamped in the teaching progression there, especially for adult learners? When I started skiing I was convinced I would never even ski bumps, because why would I ever need or what to do that?!?! I almost 100% avoided them for YEARS when starting out. When I eventually began wanting to give them a try, it was so foreign of a feeling and brought back all of my fears from my full on beginner days.
As an instructor I try to find bumps to begin teaching them as soon as possible. My frustration is the grooming of every inch of novice and easier intermediate terrain so there are no beginner bumps to teach/practice on. Often the only bumps are on expert trails but how are people supposed to learn to have fun in the bumps when they don't see them until they're steep and deep? The "bumps" that develop on busy days on the steeper sections of intermediate trails are really just intermittent piles of snow in a vast slip and slide zone, nothing close to a good mogul run. I love a snow day when bumps develop naturally everywhere but those don't happen nearly often enough. Rant over...

Goals? After 4 days of skiing this season feeling stiff I'll say getting back to feeling smooth and flexible on snow. Oh yeah, and improving in trees and bumps!

I'll be at Sugarloaf every day - always happy to get a few runs in with divas if I'm not working.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm going to check out a new region and a new destination resort this winter. Heading to Michigan in mid-January in between multi-day stays at my home mountain, Massanutten, in northern Virginia. In late March, I'm going to Crested Butte.

Other trips out west include Wolf Creek in December, another Grand Targhee, Big Sky, Bridger trip in early March, and my usual stay at Alta Lodge in April.

Probably the main goal is to have fun satisfying my curiosity about new places to ski. Especially since it's the first time I have an Epic pass. Plus of course, not having any injuries.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Location wise, I will be skiing at the usual locations in eastern PA and Catskills. I have 2 trips with friends planned out west this year and this will be my first time going to Park City, which I am very excited about to try someplace new. Will hopefully make a trip up to VT as well.

Goal wise, like many I most importantly want to stay safe and have fun! I also want to improve my bump and powder skiing and have been working on them for the past few years with some improvement, but after several lessons and watching technique videos I think I want to "back track" a bit to really focus on the fundamentals and fine tune some things on the groomers/easy terrain and spend more time on my Redsters this season. Many of the bad habits/techniques I have on the groomers are amplified when I get into the bumps and in the crud/powder and until I correct these the same struggles will continue.

mustski

Angel Diva
As an instructor I try to find bumps to begin teaching them as soon as possible. My frustration is the grooming of every inch of novice and easier intermediate terrain so there are no beginner bumps to teach/practice on.
As a skier, this has been one of my main frustrations in trying to progress. One of the things I really liked about Northstar is that many of the runs are half groomed and half bumped. I don't understand why more resorts don't do that.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
@MissySki I totally identify with your post -- which is why I decided last yr and again this yr to spend a month at TSV. Amazingly enough, I really made great progress last season, and got to that place you mentioned where it started feeling natural, and I suddenly realized that I was skiing directly into bump runs without stopping at the top and gazing down in terror, LOL! Of course, I'm talking about runs that I felt were within my skill set, but as the moth progressed I was doing easy black bump runs without a second thought, and even started progressing to ones that were more challenging. One of the great advantages of being there for so long was that I was able to ski right after the storms, when the bumps were just being created (soft baby-bumps), and continue to ski on them as they got bigger. It really helped allay the fear-factor.

So my point is that it really makes a difference to be able to progress from easier bumps to harder ones, and having the time to do it in an unbroken stretch is huge! For once, I didn't feel like I would forget everything I had learned after a wk, and have to relearn it all next time.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki I totally identify with your post -- which is why I decided last yr and again this yr to spend a month at TSV. Amazingly enough, I really made great progress last season, and got to that place you mentioned where it started feeling natural, and I suddenly realized that I was skiing directly into bump runs without stopping at the top and gazing down in terror, LOL! Of course, I'm talking about runs that I felt were within my skill set, but as the moth progressed I was doing easy black bump runs without a second thought, and even started progressing to ones that were more challenging. One of the great advantages of being there for so long was that I was able to ski right after the storms, when the bumps were just being created (soft baby-bumps), and continue to ski on them as they got bigger. It really helped allay the fear-factor.

So my point is that it really makes a difference to be able to progress from easier bumps to harder ones, and having the time to do it in an unbroken stretch is huge! For once, I didn't feel like I would forget everything I had learned after a wk, and have to relearn it all next time.
I can definitely see the benefit to doing that! I had hoped for the same with my sabbatical this season in terms of bump and powder skiing practice. Alas, that was not to be, but someday I will take a longer stretch to do the same.

The year we had Diva West in Jackson Hole was the only time in my ski life that I felt like I was starting to get the hang of skiing powder, and that’s because we had a powder day almost everyday while there! I remember thinking, gosh if I could just do this for a season I think I’d actually finally get decent at it! Lol

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
The year we had Diva West in Jackson Hole was the only time in my ski life that I felt like I was starting to get the hang of skiing powder, and that’s because we had a powder day almost everyday while there! I remember thinking, gosh if I could just do this for a season I think I’d actually finally get decent at it! Lol
OMG - yes! Learning to powder-ski is a whole 'nother world! And powder on bumps -- awesome!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
As a skier, this has been one of my main frustrations in trying to progress. One of the things I really liked about Northstar is that many of the runs are half groomed and half bumped. I don't understand why more resorts don't do that.
You like that on the back side, right ? It's fun back there....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Two Colorado trips planned and many Tahoe trips....First Tahoe trip is December 10 and hate to be a snob but barely worth it for 3 green runs, BUT I'm going and hope there will be more snowmaking as temps cool down. NOTHING on the horizon for the next 10 days though.

Diva West @ Steamboat and two weeks later a week in Breckenridge. Bought both Ikon base and Epic pass so lots of Tahoe options now..... and adding Breckenridge to the mix. I've skied there before but it's been decades.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I’ll be at Timberline in WV with maybe a trip or two to a Whitetail or Liberty if their season pans out. Last year was awful for these two PA resorts. Just want to get my confidence back and skiing ability after tearing my ACL in Jan 2022 and trying to ski again back in March after nearly a year of grueling PT. Knee feels great, so it’s really a kind over matter issue. Likely a lesson or two so someone can watch me and point out what I’m missing. So frustrating to be back at very beginner level when I was advanced intermediate. Thinking positive!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I’ll be at Timberline in WV with maybe a trip or two to a Whitetail or Liberty if their season pans out. Last year was awful for these two PA resorts. Just want to get my confidence back and skiing ability after tearing my ACL in Jan 2022 and trying to ski again back in March after nearly a year of grueling PT. Knee feels great, so it’s really a kind over matter issue. Likely a lesson or two so someone can watch me and point out what I’m missing. So frustrating to be back at very beginner level when I was advanced intermediate. Thinking positive!
Hey, at least you're getting back on the horse! It will come back to you quickly, if my many friends who've had knee issues are any examples. And hey, maybe you've forgotten all your bad habits! I think the lesson idea is a great one.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My PT warned me that our last season (NZ) would be my "Season of Frustration" coming back from injury and she wasnt wrong !! All in all though it was great to be back on the planks .... keep a positive mindset and you'll nail it :thumbsup:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I am starting to consider taking a lesson or two as well. The instructor who taught my short private lesson last April got in touch with me recently and got me thinking about it. Even though I skied quite a few days last spring, I'm feeling rather tentative going into this season and especially thinking of skiing in Colorado or Utah. I will see how I do when I actually get on the slopes.

Slow Sarah

Angel Diva
I have three Whistler ski camps booked at the end of January, February and March.
I found a six week group lesson on Wednesdays at Crystal Mountain, WA that I might do as well. The price is excellent for the number of lessons plus I will be able to practice afterward on a (hopefully!) less crowded mid-week slope.
Realistically I may have to dial back the lessons but have to figure out how…(…oh how…oh why?)
I may opt for Whistler only in March so that I am in better shape and hopefully have learned more before the camp.
I will also be at Stevens Pass, and Snoqualmie Pass WA some midweek days this December and plan to be at both places weekend nights next year. I may do early mornings at Snoqualmie on weekends before it gets crowded.
If I am lucky I will get at least one day at White Pass as well, possibly for the spring festival.

Goals: ski beneath at least one full moon each month at any location.
Improve my skills in bumps and in crud.
Build confidence in bumps and steeper areas and increase stamina so I can safely explore later in the day.
Make at least one carpool/ski buddy.

I hope to ski with my daughter again when she is enjoying herself. She used to blast past me and was just so crazy happy. She was in my old oversized ski boots that she had learned in. Somehow these boots by the end of the first season became too painful for her flat feet. We are on the second (more substantial) fitted boot with custom insoles and she seems more miserable than ever. I am desperately hoping the insoles she has worn in her shoes this summer will help. I miss that goof-happy face.

Mermimi

Certified Ski Diva
We’ve had these thread before but let’s start one for 23/24.

Other than Diva West (Steamboat), I’ll be sticking around at Palisades, Mt. Rose, and Mammoth. This year I am determined to get past my fear of steep bump runs. If necessary, I’ll take a private when the conditions are decent. My issue is always the drop in. Once I’m in, I generally do ok.
I'm a Palisades skier, too. I want to be able to ski the steep bumps without stopping due to getting in the back seat. (fear!) Learning to go for the flow is my goal this year. I do the 3-day Women of Winter Ski Camp at Palisades- it's a great way to learn new skills and explore the mountain in a supportive, fun environment.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna