• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

When will the first snowflakes fall?

Christy

Angel Diva
Mammoth says they got 30" on top. I'm assuming they were making snow to get ready to open, so that's going to be an awfully nice topping.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They had not been making snow.
But they have had several recent storms that left snow on top.
Today blowing snow from main to chair 3.

@SheSki They have now moved opening to the 5th :smile:

which should be interesting since they "just mailed" out the "new" season passes "the end of october" and well, I don't have mine yet nor will it be here in 2 days, and I don't think they are activating the old ones!

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
Woohoo just got a text from friends that they're opening Thursday! I am going this weekend. I received my passes in the mail yesterday so you should have yours soon, maybe today @WaterGirl.

Christy

Angel Diva
Sun Valley's looking good! A storm just dumped 16".

wclouds_full.jpg

bowls_full.jpg

altagirl

Staff member
They had not been making snow.
But they have had several recent storms that left snow on top.
Today blowing snow from main to chair 3.

@SheSki They have now moved opening to the 5th :smile:

which should be interesting since they "just mailed" out the "new" season passes "the end of october" and well, I don't have mine yet nor will it be here in 2 days, and I don't think they are activating the old ones!

They mail season passes? I've never heard of that!

We have to go and pick ours up in person, or they renew old ones.

Our local little hill will mail ours if we wanted but I just like to have it handed to me so I grab it in person.

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
They mail season passes? I've never heard of that!

We have to go and pick ours up in person, or they renew old ones.
Used to be we renewed last years pass. Now it comes in the mail if they already have your picture from last year's pass and a release form, which we signed online. This is at mammoth. At my local hill, Lee canyon, you gotta pick it up in person. Which we did last week at a bar where we did the pass pick up, free beer, raffle, catch up with the mountain family event. :thumbsup:

altagirl

Staff member
Is it weird that I don't trust the mail and that would make me super nervous to have my pass just sitting in the mailbox?

Christy

Angel Diva
My new passport came in the mailbox today...I can't make a case that it's good to have valuable things sitting there while I'm at work, and a locking mailbox would probably be smart, but we also get packages of valuable stuff (like my husband's new trolling motor) left on our porch, so it's not out of the ordinary.

Is it weird that I don't trust the mail and that would make me super nervous to have my pass just sitting in the mailbox?

I am the same way. DH wanted to his his pass mailed to him and I said no let's just pick them up. I just don't trust important things like that being mailed.

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
Our mailboxes have locks. It's been that way for years -as a result of your fear! People used to steal mail constantly and about 15-20 years ago, it became common here for locked boxes, usually grouped for 10-20 houses throughout the community. Now boxes dropped on the front porch are an other concern. I have a spiked gate, winding grape vines, and and gargoyles along the fence that the Ups dude knows to come through.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@altagirl The cards were only mailed this year because of the Mammoth/June merger with Big Bear/ Snow Summit - its now the Cali4nia Pass and everyone was issued new cards. In the past once you had your card you paid and signed the waiver and it was electronically activated.

According to the website:
New for the 2015/16 season, only one pass card will be required for access across all four mountains.
For all passholders who purchased before 9/10/15, your season pass card will arrive in the mail.
For all passholders who purchased after 9/10/15, you must pick up your new pass card at a ticket window at any of the four mountains; it will not be mailed. You will need to present a valid photo ID to get your pass.

Apparently they mailed them out in 3 batches, and not in any particular order (according to the rep on the phone). You can always get a temporary card anyway at the ticket counter if you don't have your pass, so not a big deal.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
UGH! Can I just take a minute to whine about the fact that it was so warm here, that last night I didn't even bother to turn my pellet stove on??? (November 6th by the way). And then wasn't the least bit cold when I woke up in the morning? Or about the fact that I went climbing on Tuesday and got a SUNTAN on NOVEMBER 2?!?!?!?

Next weekend we are supposed to have a meeting for all returning instructors. I need to fill out my availability worksheet. I planned on starting the first weekend in December. The way this warming trend is going though, I'm not sure if its going to be cold enough to blow enough snow by then...:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

No kidding. I almost died in bed last night with our flannel sheets, I am still wearing boxers for pajamas and had the air conditioning on in my Jeep yesterday cause it was so humid.

Our local resorts are supposed to open by thanksgiving and my first ski day is scheduled for 11/30, not looking good.

Hopefully temps will head back in the other direction.

altagirl

Staff member
Our mailboxes have locks. It's been that way for years -as a result of your fear! People used to steal mail constantly and about 15-20 years ago, it became common here for locked boxes, usually grouped for 10-20 houses throughout the community. Now boxes dropped on the front porch are an other concern. I have a spiked gate, winding grape vines, and and gargoyles along the fence that the Ups dude knows to come through.
We don't even have a door on our mailbox, let alone a lock.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We didn't even have a working lock or keys for our front door until this year.

@badger When do they typically open up.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Typically not until around Christmas or January. There have been years where openings were in November. With the addition of snowmaking for the past two seasons, getting earlier starts have been possible, with limited terrain.
The upper mountain is almost 12,ooo feet and subject to wind blowing off the new snow until well-packed. Opening this year on Nov. 20. If they actually get a decent base I may get up there to ski the following week.:becky:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna