• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What's the day rate at your home mountain?

abc

Banned
Even though I've skied A-basin over 20 yeasr ago, I'm under no illusion I'm a "real" skier.

(there's this guy in my bike club who can ride the pants off just about every macho guy. But his "real" passion is, FISHING! I don't claim I can ski ANYONE's pants off, for I'm definitely a "unreal" skier)

End of drift.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since ABasin is my resort of choice and I'm from Michigan, I have to also call bunk. ABC, perhaps you didn't mean to imply that Abasin and Loveland were 'No name' resorts, but that is what you said.
While you're touting your "real skier" status and making bold statements you should remember that many of us have skied with you, and many more will ski with you. Try not to pick fights over stuff that simply won't hold water.

Acadia07

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know Catamount pretty well...I think $56 is a ripoff for that mt. Look for vouchers if you go there, see the Ski Haus website, they have vouchers for Catamount, Jiminy, Butternut and others.

Ah, sweet! We got season passes to Catamount for $250 back in May. And we're just hoping it's worth it. It was SO much less than any other mountain, and within 2 hours of NYC. We figured we'd give it a whirl...I guess we'll see.

I'm going to check out the deals at Jiminy, though! I like it there. :becky:

abc

Banned
1) I did mean to say A-basin and Loveland as "no name" resort, for the average skiers, that is. But some "real" skiers jumped in and say at least one is well-known, by the "real" skiers!

2) Since I'm NOT a real skier and never claim to be one. It's no wonder my circle of skiing budds haven't heard of A-basin!

I did turned around and asked a couple of my colleagues about A-basin, and drew some more blank looks!

Satisfied now?

abc

Banned
For those who want to ski Stowe but for the high price of day tickets. Check to see if your company participate in workingadvantage.

You can get Stowe tickets for $67/day!

(still, I'm not going there. I'm saving my $ to fly out west to ski the "other" one on my no-name list: Loveland, which is 3 times the size of Stowe! It's day ticket rate is 2/3 of Stowe. I have high hope of meeting some more "real skiers" there too!:rolleyes:)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the tip about Stowe, abc. That's useful info.

The issue here isn't who is or is not a "real" skier. Heck, I'm not even sure I know what that is. And it's not even who's heard of a particular ski area. I think that just depends on the circles you travel in. The real issue here is the price of passes at ski resorts, and what makes the most sense for each one of us, economically.

For me, flying out west for a weekend rather than skiing in the east is not an option. There's the cost of air travel and car rental, along with the two plus hour drive to the airport and the two days lost to travel that makes the trip an impossibility. So if I have to pay $75. for a day pass somewhere in the east, I still consider myself ahead of the game. And though the resorts in the east are not as large as those in the west, I can still have a damn good time.

That's not to say I don't want to ski out west. I do! And I will! But for me, that'll be just once this year, for a week. For me, that makes the most economic sense.

Still, I'm not going [to Stowe]. I'm saving my $ to fly out west to ski the "other" one on my no-name list: Loveland, which is 3 times the size of Stowe! It's day ticket rate is 2/3 of Stowe. I have high hope of meeting some more "real skiers" there too!:rolleyes:)

:mad:

abc, I will be less diplomatic than Ski Diva and say that I found your posts on this thread argumentative and condescending. There is no need to say that one resort is bigger than another (and costs less to boot) and I have no idea what you mean about "real skiers," and frankly am not interested. Please consider that your experience, resources, and opportunities are different than many of the Divas on this board, and that we support all skiers whether they're cruising down a 300' vertical bump or heli-skiing in Alaska (as I believe Katy Perry is doing right now!). Stowe is a delightful mountain and I am really looking forward to ESA this weekend. Stowe is only a 3 hour drive from my home, which is very manageable for me. I am self-employed and have children, so it is a huge struggle to find the time and resources to travel out West to ski. There are also many Divas who cannot afford to take ski trips that involve air travel or who cannot travel because of work and family commitments. OK, I think I've made my point.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
isn't being impressed by size usually a guy thing? :confused:

I've heard of both A-Basin & Loveland (though couldn't place either on a map) and I've barely made it off my little 952 ft ski hill in central NY (but being on this board, I'm hearing of a bunch of places to ski in the NorthEast - including in NY - that I hadn't heard of before! :clap: and am taking notes from this thread on what I can afford maybe to try thats new! :ski2:)

I think it may depend alot on who you hang with what they - and you - have & haven't heard of...

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whitewater, have you ever heard of Toggenburg Mt. over in central NY? (sort of between Geneva and Syracuse?) I skiied there once in college and had a blast at a teeny little place, night skiing. It's so long ago I forgot to put it on my "all the mts you'ved skiied list." haha

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whitewater, have you ever heard of Toggenburg Mt. over in central NY? (sort of between Geneva and Syracuse?) I skiied there once in college and had a blast at a teeny little place, night skiing. It's so long ago I forgot to put it on my "all the mts you'ved skiied list." haha

I wish I'd skied in college! I went to Syracuse, but that was during the 5 years I didn't hit the slopes...I think rugby just took up too much of my time to want to be spending all that time skiing as well.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should have gone to Syracuse, instead I went to Hobart & William Smith which was too small and snobby.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm familiar with it, but haven't gotten there yet - hopefully this year, along with some of the other, semi-local, "day-trip" resorts! (Labrador, Song, Snow Ridge, Elk, Plattekill...maybe even Bristol & Belleayre)...stuff further out will depend on logistics & budget, hopefully will manage something in the Adk's or VT this season!

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blue Mountain (Ontario)

Lift Tickets

Day: (9 am - 4:30 pm) Adult - $56; Youth - Senior $38
Afternoon/Night*: (12:30 pm - 10 pm) A-$56; YS-$38
Night: (4:30 pm - 10 pm) A-$45; YS-$38
Day/Night*: (9 am - 10 pm) A-$66; YS-$45

Seasons Passes

5X7 (5days/week, 7nights/week, no Sat/Sun days) $169 earlybird. $279 after Sept 1st.
Night Pass (Any day after 4) $99 earlybird, $149 after Sept 1st.
Super Pass (anytime anyday) A-$699 YS-$449 or A-$869; YS-$569 after Sept 1st.

All prices Canadian!

LiaEliz

Certified Ski Diva
If you join a ski club – many times they get great discounts!!!
I am in the Hoboken Ski Club!

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A-basin only barely made "the name" now. It was pretty no-name 10 years ago. In fact, pretty low on the "name list" just a few years back, until they open Mensixxx( whatever the name of that new back bowl) Bowl.

And who here that don't live in Colorado heard of Loveland? Where is it? Who from outside of Colorado has skied it?

Maybe one day Vail corp will buy Loveland. Then it will have a "name" in the mind of the vacationers, or even "real" skiers.

But we're digressing from the thread...

I don't mean it cost THE SAME to ski out west. But the cost differential is WAY smaller than people think. And given the much better snow quantity and quality, the small cost differential is more than made up in overall result, be it shorter lift line or just better enjoyment.

Oh, I really really hope that Vail corp never buys Loveland!!!! It is such a great low key mountain, but if you're looking for burly terrain and deep snow they've got plenty of it! Personally, I prefer that vacationers generally don't know the names of the mountains I ski, it just means more snow for me and shorter lift lines.

Winter Park doesn't even list a single day ticket price on their website but a 2 day pass during regular season is $162.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, not really wanting to bring up the ABasin/Loveland thing again, except to point out that the reason out-of-towners haven't heard as much about them is that they have no lodging. They aren't resorts. It's very simple and has nothing to do with anything else.

Now, the fact that there are no condos absolutely does contribute to the current vibe, because they are more locally oriented than other places. But back in the day before condos and hotels became the driving force around "ski resorts," they were just ski hills like anywhere else. Mary Jane is similar, although it is more connected to the resort of Winter Park (also more of a locals' haunt, but still a resort).

Just a neutral observation from someone who also skied Beaver Creek when it was less of a resort than either ABasin or Loveland ... both of which have been around a long time.

Brief synopsis of general decades during which CO ski hills opened:

Winter Park 1920s
Loveland and Aspen 1930s
ABasin 1940s
Vail and Breck 1960s
Copper and Keystone 1970s
Beaver Creek 1980s

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members