• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to wear under uninsulated ski pants?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I ski mostly Tahoe and many Euro trips. Never buy anything special. Last year bought some technical Strafe waterproof pants and wore on cold snowy day in Tahoe with heavy Smartwool boot cut layers. Never got cold but honestly not as cold as you get in the East. Coldest place ever was Crested Butte, Sun Valley and Grand Targhee.

newboots

Angel Diva
Just a quick plug for 3/4 length baselayers. I love mine! With a regular wool baselayer or
Fleece tights over the 3/4, I would be happy with shell pants. On a super cold day, I’ve worn that combo under my insulated pants.

I just want to add that I have not suddenly become one of those People who Capitalize Everything. My phone updated and it’s out of control with weird capitalizations and a dozen other insults.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
All my base layer bottoms are boot cut. Bootfitter said to cut anything that is lower than boot fit. It interferes with boot fit. My base layer bottoms are Smartwool and 3 pairs icebreaker. Works for me but then I don't ski the east.
Like those Marmot that @contesstant linked. My Strafe shell pants are not super loose so don't know about the fit with thick bottoms. Other non insulated ski pants are Burton White Room (or something like that) I use for Tahoe spring skiing only. Wear Icebreaker shorts underneath or merino wool boy shorts and short sleeve merino top. But hey we're barely in winter mode.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All my base layer bottoms are boot cut. Bootfitter said to cut anything that is lower than boot fit. It interferes with boot fit. My base layer bottoms are Smartwool and 3 pairs icebreaker. Works for me but then I don't ski the east.
Like those Marmot that @contesstant linked. My Strafe shell pants are not super loose so don't know about the fit with thick bottoms. Other non insulated ski pants are Burton White Room (or something like that) I use for Tahoe spring skiing only. Wear Icebreaker shorts underneath or merino wool boy shorts and short sleeve merino top. But hey we're barely in winter mode.

@santacruz skier You hit on one big point on what base layers are needed: where do you regularly ski? New England has a damp seeping cold that makes ones bones chill. While I am sometimes cold, I don’t get that feel out West. As my SLC area friend noted, Utah is basically desert and the second driest state. I’ve overdressed more than once. Great excuse to hit the outlets! :wink:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
That's what prompted my original inquiry. I wear 2 to 3 base layers under insulated pants when it's really cold. So given the same temps, what could I use as insulation under uninsulated pants? The base layers by themselves aren't going to cut it.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's what prompted my original inquiry. I wear 2 to 3 base layers under insulated pants when it's really cold. So given the same temps, what could I use as insulation under uninsulated pants? The base layers by themselves aren't going to cut it.

I think you may have a wonderful pair of springtime ski pants! I wondered when you posted the first thread, knowing that when it’s brutal you are very bundled up.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My heaviest and most frequently used pant liners are Patagonia Expedition Weight Fleece base layer pants. They stretch nicely and are thick. They take up noticeable room under the shells. And they are very warm.

Patagonia also makes midweight and lightweight base layers. Hot Chilis Pepper Skins are just as good.

But also, as someone upthread pointed out, yoga pants (no cotton!) work perfect as light weight liners, as long as they are narrow along the lower leg and not bell-bottoms.

When it's very very cold, three layered base layers under a shell are enough to keep the coldest thighs happy even when it's below zero outside. Before I discovered these liners, I would duct tape hand warmers onto my thighs. I could not stand the cold. I'll never do that again because pant liners are genuinely effective.

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+1 to what @Abbi says, if it's that cold, use the shells for spring conditions or skiing out West. I wear insulated pants, usually a base layer under them but sometimes no layer. I've never skied east of the Rocky Mountain resorts. Once, in Big Sky in January, I think I wore 2 layers under insulated pants, it was in the single digits Fahrenheit.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You hit on one big point on what base layers are needed: where do you regularly ski?
In Tahoe mostly but use the same base layers for the Rockies as well.

MissySki

Angel Diva
They are like a puffy on the thighs, with stretchy fleecy material over the knees and hips.

Does you get noticeable extra warmth on your tush sitting on the chair? Curious if the quilted areas are actually “insulated” further with something?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does you get noticeable extra warmth on your tush sitting on the chair? Curious if the quilted areas are actually “insulated” further with something?
It definitely covers the bum. They are insulated further with Primaloft Gold I believe. But they are not at all bulky IMO. I also like that they have a wide waist band that doesn't cut in my waist.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I ski in New England and wear insulated and non-insulated, shifting base layers accordingly. I can deal with my rear being cold/numb on the lift but MUST have a warm core, feet and hands. I cannot imagine moving in 3+ layers under pants.

My shell pants (I have a few) are super roomy so I can wear CWX+Marmot Toasters or CWX+heavyweight wool. My one pair of insulated pants are streamlined so I just wear wool or CWX. I end-up equally temperature controlled in both options - meaning I am cold in New England unless it is spring, lol.

@ski diva I am not sure any number of layers will help you with shell pants in the winter!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was recently given a pair of uninsulated pants and I'm wondering what to wear under them, in addition to base layers. Keep in mind that I ski mostly in New England and it can be really COLD; in fact, I wear almost exclusively insulated pants. If it's in the single digits or below zero, I may even wear two or three base layers beneath them. So how do you handle uninsulated pants when it's pretty cold?
Meant to ask you what brand your shell pants are? Do they have side vents? Technical ?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wanted to add to this that I don't sit on chairs that often thanks to the two gondolas. Lucky me! So, sometimes I don't need to layer up at home like I do at say, Targhee (which is also noticeably colder most of the time.) And I don't know why, but Arc'Teryx, whether lightly insulated or not insulated, is just warmer than anything else I own, except maybe Patagonia, which comes pretty darn close.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I wanted to add to this that I don't sit on chairs that often thanks to the two gondolas. Lucky me! So, sometimes I don't need to layer up at home like I do at say, Targhee (which is also noticeably colder most of the time.) And I don't know why, but Arc'Teryx, whether lightly insulated or not insulated, is just warmer than anything else I own, except maybe Patagonia, which comes pretty darn close.

I don’t usually notice a chilly rear end unless it’s a snow or ice day where the chairs might be covered with something, or slightly covered because I mean they do try to keep them as clear as possible. I’m one that actually dislikes gondolas, it annoys me to have to continuously take my skis on and off. Sunday River has the chondola, and I always choose the chairs for that reason. So my butt is always usually sitting on something cold.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So my butt is always usually sitting on something cold.
I know some people don't like the look of it, but I'm using the Hot Buns a lot these days. Made friends with a small group of seniors skiing midweek at Loon last Dec because I noticed one of the ladies also had Hot Buns.

I even use Hot Buns for spring skiing, at least for the mornings. Then with shell pants and a light-weight base layer I don't get hot. But I'm much more comfortable riding up chairlifts.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I have a pair of Black Crows Goretex shells (deeply discounted because they are the color of a school bus). I wear running tights under them for warmth. I’ve only used them in March though, so maybe not to your point. My warmest pants are from the Columbia outlet. They have that reflective interior that really works. And they’re not school-bus yellow

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+1 on Columbia ski pant with that silver Omni-Heat lining.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of Black Crows Goretex shells (deeply discounted because they are the color of a school bus). I wear running tights under them for warmth. I’ve only used them in March though, so maybe not to your point. My warmest pants are from the Columbia outlet. They have that reflective interior that really works. And they’re not school-bus yellow
Oh yeah, I do have some Omni Heat base layer pants that are pretty toasty. Not as toasty as the Marmot Toasters, but they definitely are warmer than other midweight base layers I've worn.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got my (lightly insulated) ski pants from Sierra trading post. I ordered three likely pairs to try on at home, and found one that i liked. Worth the hassle of returning the others,

I always wear an pants underlayer, for comfort and for moisture/sweat control. I wear various thin, medium, or thick layers (just one) according to the weather. I like the LL Beans base layers at various thicknesses. Also, I like the Lands End Thermaskin for thin base layer, both top and bottom (sometimes available in wild designs!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna