• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to wear under uninsulated ski pants?

Sparky

Angel Diva
For those who have the marmot toasters - do/can you wear a layer over or under them when it’s really cold?? I have 3/4 wool Icebreaker 250 midlayer and Mammut fleece lined midlayer that I wear over my cwx stabilyx and feel like I could still be warmer. Those marmot toasters like tempting...

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For those who have the marmot toasters - do/can you wear a layer over or under them when it’s really cold?? I have 3/4 wool Icebreaker 250 midlayer and Mammut fleece lined midlayer that I wear over my cwx stabilyx and feel like I could still be warmer. Those marmot toasters like tempting...
I usually wear something under my Marmot Toasters depending on temps. CWX tights, a smartwool layer, toasters and if really cold marmot fleece over them. I've been wearing insulated shell pants and they are warmer than standard insulated ski pants

Fit of the Toasters are a little off for me. I bought an XS but the legs and hips are on the looser side while the waist is snug. There is a thin elastic band around the waist that cuts into me. I'm too small for the next size up so I'm looking for a similar product that has a wider waistband. This season I'm trying out the Ortovox Fleece Light short pants. They fit under the Toasters and have a wider waist band which I hope eliminates the cutting in issue.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
There is a thin elastic band around the waist that cuts into me.
I have the toaster short and the waistband is quite wide - how long have you had yours? Perhaps they have restyled since you got yours since the pictures I see of the waistband on the capri look like my short.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the toaster short and the waistband is quite wide - how long have you had yours? Perhaps they have restyled since you got yours since the pictures I see of the waistband on the capri look like my short.
I bought them last fall. Got them online so I didn't try them on first. Odd because they are almost baggy everywhere else.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Yes, they look like yours except blue. There is a 1/2" band of elastic stitched in at the top. Also, a tie in the front that looks like it is stitched at the back so it can't be removed.

My other layers also have narrow elastic and they all end up in the same place.

Now I know what you mean! I ordered in a pair of Marmot Toaster Capris (tag says April 2018 for the manufacture season) that I found on clearance. The wide waistband has a narrow elastic at the very top that is firm and stitched in place all around. I have to shimmy to get them over my hips, but once on they are roomy in the thighs but somehow don't stretch the way I expected. They fit great in the waist solo but that fixed elastic definitely makes them less forgiving and I can see how layering under could be an issue. Given there is an internal drawstring you would think they would have left that do do the fitting!

My toaster shorts are not here at home to compare with. Although I do recall having the same shimmy over the hips I don't recall the waist being quite as firm once on and I have always layered under them. Also, no leg stretch issues since they are shorts. That said, I found my thighs a little chilly a couple of times hence wanting to try the capri.

I noticed Marmot has replaced the Women's Toaster Capris with the Variant Hybrid Capri. They modified the front insulating panel so it is angled instead of the full front of the leg, so I expect that really helps with the stretch in the legs. I wonder if they tweaked the waist elastic as well!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Now I know what you mean! I ordered in a pair of Marmot Toaster Capris (tag says April 2018 for the manufacture season) that I found on clearance. The wide waistband has a narrow elastic at the very top that is firm and stitched in place all around. I have to shimmy to get them over my hips, but once on they are roomy in the thighs but somehow don't stretch the way I expected. They fit great in the waist solo but that fixed elastic definitely makes them less forgiving and I can see how layering under could be an issue. Given there is an internal drawstring you would think they would have left that do do the fitting!

My toaster shorts are not here at home to compare with. Although I do recall having the same shimmy over the hips I don't recall the waist being quite as firm once on and I have always layered under them. Also, no leg stretch issues since they are shorts. That said, I found my thighs a little chilly a couple of times hence wanting to try the capri.

I noticed Marmot has replaced the Women's Toaster Capris with the Variant Hybrid Capri. They modified the front insulating panel so it is angled instead of the full front of the leg, so I expect that really helps with the stretch in the legs. I wonder if they tweaked the waist elastic as well!

Hmmm, this makes me pause in wanting to order myself to try.. my butt and thighs definitely need forgiving stretch.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Hmmm, this makes me pause in wanting to order myself to try.. my butt and thighs definitely need forgiving stretch.
I ordered in the new Variant Hybrid Capri - Backcountry has a 20% of an item thing going on. I guess I am supposed to be terribly angry with Backcountry over their current silliness, but I am cutting them some slack as they have always been so amazing to work with. I will let you know if the newly redesigned model is a keeper!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was window shopping on Evo and they have a ’SAVE20’ code offer. I like the Buy as a Package function that shows coordinated jacket and pant options. Fun to play around with. Let us know what you think of those Variant capris @lisamamot :-)

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I was window shopping on Evo and they have a ’SAVE20’ code offer.
Good to know! They have the Variant Capri as well. When mine arrive I will report back my findings.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I guess I am supposed to be terribly angry with Backcountry over their current silliness, but I am cutting them some slack as they have always been so amazing to work with
Good grief, shame on me for not being properly tuned in to what was going on. I heard there was litigation but had not read articles and did not understand the breadth of what they were doing. :hole:

I take it back.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Let us know what you think of those Variant capris @lisamamot :-)

Marmot Toaster Capri vs new Variant Hybrid Capri
  • The strip of narrow elastic is still at the top of the Variant, but it is not hard-fixed and stretches - no more shimmying them over my hips.
  • They removed the drawstring at the waist. Not sure that was necessary, but I am fine without it.
  • The Variant is slightly less poofy in the thigh.
  • The Variant front quilted panels are smaller and angled, and I find this updated style much stretchier.
  • I can layer under the Variant if desired whereas the waist and lack of stretch on the Toaster made me feel that would be less than comfy.
Toaster is going back, Variant is staying!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:crazy: I have version of these, never wore before yesterday, used under my softshell pants - well bc I didnt think I needed any full "leggings"and reallly way tooooo warm. Same pants today sans heattech and major difference. Will try later this year when temp warrants. I use Uniqlo heattech as my go to base layers top and bottom. Different thickness available.

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women/heattech-collection?quickView=418328

Highly recomend Uniqlo for warm cheap easy wash base layers.

Last edited:

melchap

Certified Ski Diva
Uninsulated pants are for warmer weather or ski touring.

I ski in the PNW so it's not cold. 28 to above freezing mostly. I wear 3/4 length running/yoga tights with thick fleece pants. The fleece pants just get folded up above boot cuff for a little extra leg warmth.

Since I ski with kids a lot these days the pace is too leisurely to stay warm on lifts so I steal insulated pants from my husband.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna