• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to wear under uninsulated ski pants?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I was recently given a pair of uninsulated pants and I'm wondering what to wear under them, in addition to base layers. Keep in mind that I ski mostly in New England and it can be really COLD; in fact, I wear almost exclusively insulated pants. If it's in the single digits or below zero, I may even wear two or three base layers beneath them. So how do you handle uninsulated pants when it's pretty cold?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^ Those or these from Marmot, which I love. I wear uninsulated more and more, as I am finding that good layering can actually be warmer. https://www.backcountry.com/marmot-...zOjE6NTpiYy13b21lbnMtYmFzZWxheWVyLWJvdHRvbXM=
I tried those last year but found them not warm enough by themselves. I wore the CWX tights under them with Marmot fleece tights over them. This year I'm trying Ortovox Fleece Light short pants under them. https://www.ortovox.com/us/shop/women/merino-fleece-light/fleece-light-short-pants-w/
Last year I got the Fleece Light shirt and was impressed how warm it was.
A rep from Kari Traa told me they were coming out with a similiar product but I haven't found it yet.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always wear CW-X 3/4 leggings and then add either wool or heavy fleece depending on temperature. Also been thinking about trying the 3/4 insulated mid layer like these to go even warmer.

https://www.backcountry.com/arc-ter...6ODozLzQgaW5zdWxhdGVkIG1pZCBsYXllciBib3R0b20=
I got these last winter and they are great! They have stretch and are very warm. But they definitely are thicker than just a pair of long johns so you have to make sure your pants are baggy enough to accommodate them.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear almost exclusively uninsulated ski pants. I ski in New England where it's stupid cold most of the time. I get colder than most people, so warm clothing is a must for me. I stay warm in my shell pants.

The solution is multiple layers of fleece tights, or wool, or other insulating liners of some sort, beneath the shells. I've never purchased these liners in a ski shop, since they are often available for $6 or so in thrift shops around where I live near Boston.

I have too many of these liners according to hubby. He may be right. I group them by thickness into boxes, and choose how many layers and which thicknesses are called for depending on the forecast for the day.

I often have three layers on under the shell pants. I don't look like the Marshmallow Man either; the whole thing ends up being slimmer than insulated pants. And bending is easy; the liners don't restrict movement at all.

I avoid liners with cotton and those with a huge percentage of Spandex. Everything else breathes well. Laundry is easy, even the wool liners. I don't wash the shells until end of season.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Good thread. I always wonder about the same thing...... I must confess, up util now, I am still a bit "fuzzy" on what is considered to be insulated vs uninsulated ski pants?
Questions:
1) I shop online mostly these days. What do I enter in the search field (or set the search filter) if I want specifically insulated ski pants vs uninsulated ski pants. It's hard to tell just based on the item description.
2) The million $$$ question. If I get uninsulated pants and need "thicker"/ more layers underneath. Do I need to get it one size larger. I am size S, should I get size M?
Reason for my asking, I found this on REI outlet and really like it.... Size S fits well, but it is uninsulated. So I returned it because I don't know what to wear underneath. Now I see size M is available, I wonder if I can make it work by wearing thicker/more layers.

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 6.01.14 PM.png

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I ordered many pairs of base layers on Amazon this year and ended up returning all but one pair (3/4 icebreaker capris). I find that the fleece lined workout leggings at Marshalls for $19 are much warmer and I just cut the pants off at the length I want them to be. They also look cute aprés ski. I have never tried wearing uninsulated shell pants, but if I did, I would wear two pairs of fleece lined workout leggings and then my synthetic fleece loose fitting pajama pants and then the shell.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....The million $$$ question. If I get uninsulated pants and need "thicker"/ more layers underneath. Do I need to get it one size larger. I am size S, should I get size M?....

It depends on several things. How many layers will you need? Some folks don't get as cold as I do, so they wear one layer underneath. I am often in three layers underneath.

It also depends on how cold it gets when you ski. Do you go out on single digit days with wind? Some folks won't ski in such weather. I do, with three layers underneath, and don't get cold.

When I am buying ski pants, I need them to be a little loose for those three layers to fit. In the dressing room, if I have to suck in my tummy to zip them up, I don't buy them. If they are "snug" and show my panty line, I don't buy them. If in the dressing room they would fall down without suspenders, they are too large and I don't buy them either. Something between those will work. Over the years I've figured out how to buy them.

If the shells stretch, all the better. It's amazing to me that some tech shell pants are waterproof, breathable, and stretchy. Those are the very best, but a rare find for me since I buy the shells in thrift shops ($4.00 - $12.00). It's surprising what people will donate to a thrift shop in ski country. Bogner even.

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I wear almost exclusively uninsulated ski pants. I ski in New England where it's stupid cold most of the time. I get colder than most people, so warm clothing is a must for me. I stay warm in my shell pants.

The solution is multiple layers of fleece tights, or wool, or other insulating liners of some sort, beneath the shells. I've never purchased these liners in a ski shop, since they are often available for $6 or so in thrift shops around where I live near Boston.

I have too many of these liners according to hubby. He may be right. I group them by thickness into boxes, and choose how many layers and which thicknesses are called for depending on the forecast for the day.

I often have three layers on under the shell pants. I don't look like the Marshmallow Man either; the whole thing ends up being slimmer than insulated pants. And bending is easy; the liners don't restrict movement at all.

I avoid liners with cotton and those with a huge percentage of Spandex. Everything else breathes well. Laundry is easy, even the wool liners. I don't wash the shells until end of season.

Yeah, I get really cold, too, which is why when it's in the single digits or below I'll wear 3 layers of base layers. I like the look of those Marmot's and wonder how they'd figure in to all this. Are they just like a heavy base layer or would you say they're something more?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I get really cold, too, which is why when it's in the single digits or below I'll wear 3 layers of base layers. I like the look of those Marmot's and wonder how they'd figure in to all this. Are they just like a heavy base layer or would you say they're something more?
They are like a puffy on the thighs, with stretchy fleecy material over the knees and hips.

marzNC

Angel Diva
2) The million $$$ question. If I get uninsulated pants and need "thicker"/ more layers underneath. Do I need to get it one size larger. I am size S, should I get size M?
Reason for my asking, I found this on REI outlet and really like it.... Size S fits well, but it is uninsulated. So I returned it because I don't know what to wear underneath. Now I see size M is available, I wonder if I can make it work by wearing thicker/more layers.
Since we've skied together, you know how much more petite I am then you are. I wear shell pants almost all the time these days. I get size M. I only wear two layers under shell pants. If it's frigid, the mid-layer are fleece pants. Other wise, just yoga pants. I've found that making sure my core is warm was far more important. As I skied more off-piste, having insulated pants was too warm for me. My feet would sweat and then get cold since they were damp. YMMV

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For a long time my favourite pants were not insulated. I used to wear a merino base layer and fleece sweat pants - probably like an older style of the €19 Marshalls pants. This was when I lived in NYC and regularly skied the Catskills. It was warm enough for all except the very coldest days. I replaced them with insulated pants but I have missed them on slightly warmer days. I liked having all the different layering options but they wouldn’t be my first choice for January in a Vermont!

alison wong

Angel Diva
It depends on several things. How many layers will you need? Some folks don't get as cold as I do, so they wear one layer underneath. I am often in three layers underneath.

It also depends on how cold it gets when you ski. Do you go out on single digit days with wind? Some folks won't ski in such weather. I do, with three layers underneath, and don't get cold

My priority is warmth. So whatever # of layers it takes to keep me warm and be able to move, i will go for that.
My ski days are only limited to weekends and vacation days. So if my ski day happens to be the single digit with wind, I'd still go. Don't really have luxury to pick and choose. Beggars cannot be choosers.

Shops here have limited options on ski clothing. And, I don't have the patience to go from shop to shop to try out ski pants. Plus, I found trying out ski pants is very exhausting. Also, I have to remember bringing base layers along, make sure ski pants can fit on top of baselayers.

Maybe I should focus my effort on getting a pair of mid layer ski pants instead, I don't really know "mid layer" ski pants is a thing until now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna