• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What to wear under uninsulated ski pants?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Uninsulated pants are for warmer weather or ski touring.

Hmmmmm, I ski in New England and find my layered-up Patagonia Powder Bowl shell pants just as warm, or warmer, than my Patagonia Rubicon insulated pants. The shells are also wonderful to take on a trip with various layers so I can travel with only one pair. That said, I am looking into roomier insulated pants that I can layer more under. The Powder Bowl shell pants are super roomy whereas my Rubicon are more streamlined.

KBee

Angel Diva
I like fleece pants if it's really cold, but they seem hard to find. Rei has some. I prefer 3/4, but will just bunch them up if needed.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I use Uniqlo heattech as my go to base layers top and bottom.
Thanks so much for this heads up! I picked up a ss tee and a tank with built in bra. I wore the tee under my layers the other night to my daughter’s soccer game and wow, loved it. I got the standard weight which are super thin, much like silks.

It is supposed to be in the single digits in Maine tomorrow am - I am going to use the tank as layer #1.

I will need to order in those shorts (online only) to give them a try as well. Seems like they would layer so easily.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've wondered about the Uniqlo stuff, particularly the shorts. I might have to pop in their Dedham store soon.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FYI re the heattech shorts - they are different than what I have ... mine are 3 ys old, sat in a drawer bc I thought too tight... put them on bc needed a thin layer under my "smaller " soft shells.... fit great but tooooo hot.

Price is right for anything Uniqlo.
@santacruz skier and I are ultra light weight down jacket sluts...

The heattech lasts 4ever if you wash and line dry. It will pill if you are DH and tumble dry on high with other work clothes.

Airism is the summer version - just as tough.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Price is right for anything Uniqlo.
@santacruz skier and I are ultra light weight down jacket sluts...

The heattech lasts 4ever if you wash and line dry. It will pill if you are DH and tumble dry on high with other work clothes.
Yes love my Uniqlo ultra light down vest and jacket. Also fan of heat tech .....
That is too funny about your DH. Got BF really nice Fjallraven wool sweater for his bday. "What? You put in the dryer".....................

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I just ordered a pair of shorts and a turtleneck the other day after I read your endorsement. Never had any Uniqlo before, but have heard good things about their stuff.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I received these today from EVO.
https://www.evo.com/down/kari-traa-...7467/kari-traa-eva-hybrid-capris-women-s-.jpg
They are a perfect fit in an XS. I'll be able to wear a layer under them if I need to. There's enough room in the waist and hips to tuck in a base layer top. Not baggy in the hips and great fit for my quads. They even fit under a pair of ski pants that are too fitted to accomodate a fleece layer but not warm enough without.
I also ordered some base layers in a S. Couldn't find them in an XS. Hoping they fit as well.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I received these today from EVO.
https://www.evo.com/down/kari-traa-...7467/kari-traa-eva-hybrid-capris-women-s-.jpg
They are a perfect fit in an XS. I'll be able to wear a layer under them if I need to. There's enough room in the waist and hips to tuck in a base layer top. Not baggy in the hips and great fit for my quads. They even fit under a pair of ski pants that are too fitted to accomodate a fleece layer but not warm enough without.
I also ordered some base layers in a S. Couldn't find them in an XS. Hoping they fit as well.
https://www.sierra.com/s~kari-/women~d~5324/womens-clothing~d~6/womens-base-layers~d~11323/
Super cute! Do you know Sierra Trading Post has really good prices on that brand?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.sierra.com/s~kari-/women~d~5324/womens-clothing~d~6/womens-base-layers~d~11323/
Super cute! Do you know Sierra Trading Post has really good prices on that brand?
Wish Sierra Trading Post showed what was available in the stores. There is a new store a few miles from me. Lots of stores here sell Kari Traa. Just don't find my size. The US office is here in Broomfield.
Kari Traa also sells workout clothes which I'm very interested in. Just can't find much online except from Kari Traa.com

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:crazy: I have version of these, never wore before yesterday, used under my softshell pants - well bc I didnt think I needed any full "leggings"and reallly way tooooo warm. Same pants today sans heattech and major difference. Will try later this year when temp warrants. I use Uniqlo heattech as my go to base layers top and bottom. Different thickness available.

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women/heattech-collection?quickView=418328

Highly recomend Uniqlo for warm cheap easy wash base layers.

I just received a pair of Uniqlo base layers and while I got the ultra heat they seem thin. If I hold them up to the light I can see through them. I usually wear Athleta fleece lined tights. But at the price I figured I’d grab a pair of these. Are they really warm? I ski in New England where it’s sort of a deep wet cold.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Abbi there are 3 thickness of heatech and they are thin - have you tried them yet?
I believe the ultra is the warmest- I only have the heatech and Extra.
As an experiment today bc I knew I would only be out for 3-4 hrs I wore only the “shorts” under a pair of Roxy shell pants that have light backing and are 15/15k.
Feet and hands cold but not my rear. Amazing.:wink:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Abbi there are 3 thickness of heatech and they are thin - have you tried them yet?
As an experiment today bc I knew I would only be out for 3-4 hrs I wore only the “shorts” under a pair of Roxy shell pants that have light backing and are 15/15k.

I bought the ultra heat one. There are conditions where it will be fine. But I was cold. They are not anywhere near as warm as my Athleta fleece lined tights.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought these last month and just tried them in 10F temperature. First day was under lightly insulated pants (patagonia insulated snowbelle) and they got a bit too warm after 5 runs. Second day was under uninsulated Patagonia primo pants (goretex shell) and they were just the right warmth for me.
https://www.rei.com/product/153943/odlo-blackcomb-34-base-layer-pants-womens

I’m an optimistic REI customer! So I ordered a pair. If I don’t like them they go back!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not bottoms but I love the ballet neck heat tech tops. They are great to wear on cold days under a sweater as well as a base layer top. Think I'm going to order two more.... as we speak.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK so I might be changing my mind about base layers, I have used these recently for cross country, quick tour/ hiking at home:

Ridge Merino Aspect leggings and Journey T - the first wool/ blend layers I can wear without itching and don't seem to get chilled as much after a big workout - https://www.ridgemerino.com

Love supporting a local brand (Mammoth Lakes CA)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly