• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What does a Diva drive?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My car to the mountains is a 2001 Suburban. It is definitely the utility hauler now ... I don't drive it much unless I'm filling it with something (people, gear, furniture) or hauling something.

Well, I sold that beast and "downsized" to a Land Cruiser. Which is merely a tank rather than a beast. But still quite a bit smaller than the Subdivision.

altagirl

Staff member
Well, I sold that beast and "downsized" to a Land Cruiser. Which is merely a tank rather than a beast. But still quite a bit smaller than the Subdivision.
I just "downsized" too - well in terms of car payment and not needing premium gas anymore...

I sold the '05 Outback 2.5 XT and got an '05 Honda Element. I love that I can roll my bikes inside of it, and don't have to worry about ski edges or bike parts tearing up my leather seats when I'm not using racks (which I don't like using on weekdays when my gear would spend half the day sitting outside).

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just upgraded in April to a 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Special Edition. The special edition added sunroof, climate control, satellite radio capability, extra speakers and an mp3 jack for only $1000 extra. I love my new little car and it looks like she'll get her first true test of a snow storm in the morning. :clap:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just "downsized" too - well in terms of car payment and not needing premium gas anymore...

I sold the '05 Outback 2.5 XT and got an '05 Honda Element. I love that I can roll my bikes inside of it, and don't have to worry about ski edges or bike parts tearing up my leather seats when I'm not using racks (which I don't like using on weekdays when my gear would spend half the day sitting outside).

I know with my VWs, I have had to use premium gas, and I know about the radiator fluid in the OB's but is there a reason for premium in the OB? Was this one of the models with the fancy turbo engine or is there something all of us Divas driving OB's should be aware of?

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
okay - I am so out of it. I drive a Honda Odyssey. Yes, a minivan.

let me tell you about my mini van days! I swore i would NEVER be caught in one. Then one day I just woke up and found myself the owner of a 1996 red Plymouth Voyager. That was the first year of the second sliding door. WooHoo <sarcasm font> My husband called it his "high performance mini van." And it WAS his. I drove a Tacoma.

But then I needed to take a tri friend and myself to a training weekend in NH. I took out both benches and we put enough stuff in there for the hole team, or so it seemed. Two bikes and tons and tons of gear and food.

When we finally got to NH everyone was amazed at how much stuff we had in the van.

yeah...I still hated it.

Now I have a Honda CR-V. Love that car. I have a Thule box and bike rack on the roof and another bike rack on the back end. The dog kennel fits inside and there's still room for all my gear.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm lucky enough to own my dream car- a '99 Tacoma.

Since I tend to live in remote places that can involve nasty dirt roads, and because I have to pack up and move most of my earthly possessions about twice a year, (the studded snow tires and winter gear stay in storage during the summer) I drive a 4x4 pickup truck. It has a 4-cylinder engine, which means I'm trundling along in the slow lane whenever I drive up the mountain to the ski resort, but the gas mileage is worth it. 18mpg for a pickup ain't bad...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva

Altagirl, let me know how you like the Element. I have a 10 year old Outback (still going fine at 125k) that will be up for replacement in a year or so, and the Element is at the top of my list. Considered RAV4 but hate the tire on the back. Talked to some Element owners who are on the fence about the way the doors open - will be interested in hearing how you fare w/it.

altagirl

Staff member
I know with my VWs, I have had to use premium gas, and I know about the radiator fluid in the OB's but is there a reason for premium in the OB? Was this one of the models with the fancy turbo engine or is there something all of us Divas driving OB's should be aware of?

The XT is the turbo model.

altagirl

Staff member
Altagirl, let me know how you like the Element. I have a 10 year old Outback (still going fine at 125k) that will be up for replacement in a year or so, and the Element is at the top of my list. Considered RAV4 but hate the tire on the back. Talked to some Element owners who are on the fence about the way the doors open - will be interested in hearing how you fare w/it.

I've heard that too, but mostly from people with kids. Personally, I don't ever plan to actually put human beings in the back seats unless I have to, so it's not an issue to me at all. And I like that it's so nice and open and easy to load gear into it.

SkiMave

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I drive a Land Rover LR2 4 wheel drive. Poetry.

I just got it this summer (just came out) so I haven't used it in the snow yet, but drove through an absolute beast of a rain storm this summer (lightning striking in the field to my left, then to my right). I changed the driving mode to "wet, slippery conditions" and it just hunkered down on the road like a beast !!

We got our first snow storm in southern Ontario last night (here in the Toronto area we are at the same latitude as northern California so winters tend to be mild around this part of the great lakes) so I'll take it out today and see how it does.

So far, I just love it.

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello everybody!

This is my first post, I've been lurking for a while and decided to finally join up.

I love my VW Jetta TDI and run it on Biodiesel as often as possible, but mostly runs on regular diesel as there isn't many biodeisel stations in Toronto.

BTW - I love the SkiDiva license plate and the Flying Spagetti Monster emblem too! LOL Ramen!

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Still drive the Volvo wagon all wheel drive...otherwise my Mini Cooper convertible - plates "Snohare" - dubbed by my husband in honor of my grey/white hair and passion for.... well, you all know!

What I REALLY want is an all wheel Mini....

The Hare does pretty well in the snow. Use Spider Spikes - the hub connected "chains." Have them on the volvo as well, as we once needed to get up a really bad hill in the mountains that even the all wheel couldn't handle safely. Expensive system but the seconds on and off make it worth it. Especially when the kids were young and I was on the road by myself.

I confess I get a kick out of zipping past the young yahoos in their big trucks and SUV's. They always stare...
Only problem is that in the Mini, the Spiders take up most of the back seat or trunk!:laughter:

Jen

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a proud owner of a Honda Element as well. I freaking LOVE that car. With a box on the top and a bike rack on the back, it's the best all-around vehicle I've ever owned. The doors can be a hassle sometimes, but they're great when you're loading and unloading the car. The on-demand AWD is awesome in the snow. We also hauled 5 people, a dog, and five pairs of skis up to Teton Pass without having to downshift. That little thing can chug.

My other car is a 2000 Tacoma, which has also been an amazing vehicle. It's got about 120,000 miles and still going strong.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got a 1998 VW Cabrio that, during the winter months, has snow tires on it to get me where I need to go. Love my Cabby!

Jilly

Staff member
retromaven, wondered about that car/truck. I've got the Equinox as the Acadia wasn't out yet. Next time!!

lindseyinalaska

Certified Ski Diva
my car of choice is a 1994 Volvo 940 station wagon, but I'm commuting 2 hours to the ski area every weekend for a class (yes college credit to ski what could be better?) and my mom traded her 2001 Volvo S70 sedan with me. I'm sad to see the wagon in someone else's hands cause man that thing could hold tons of gear, people and whatever else you could think of. its like a pickup with a cover....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga