• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What does a Diva drive?

Skikayaker

Certified Ski Diva
I drive a 2015 Subaru Outback - the go anywhere vehicle for skiing. Would like to have a 1969 red convertible Camaro just because I think it is a cool car.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm renting a Subaru Crosstrek next week in Utah - really eager to see how it drives. Likely in the market after I graduate from seminary and start downsizing.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I'm renting a Subaru Crosstrek next week in Utah - really eager to see how it drives. Likely in the market after I graduate from seminary and start downsizing.

A friend of mine just got one and loves it! She enjoys driving smaller vehicles despite having 3 teenagers and a large dog. Her hubby drives the Nissan Pathfinder so they have that for traveling.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Toyota Highlander. I just traded my minivan, and am loving having AWD!

With twin teenagers and 3 dogs it is perfect for around town, and with the Thule carrier box we just fit traveling...only because 2 out of 3 dogs are crammed into the backseat with the kids! The old lady hound gets the way back all to herself.....age has its privileges.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
At the moment....nada.
:hurt:
Remaining usable vehicle needed by gainfully employed DH.
Damaged vehicle, TBD in terms of what's wrong.

vtgal7thgen

Certified Ski Diva
2004 BMW X3 which I've had since it was brand new. Still runs great, heated seats AND STEERING WHEEL and looks really cute with a Thule box on top for the family's many "sliding on snow" tools. Studded snow tires all around in ski season.

Terri B

Certified Ski Diva
I recently upgraded to a Volvo S60 due to commuting - this will be my "forever car" as I call it. I LOVE it!!! never had a nice car before, always had the "practical" minivan / toyota corolla level car.. For skiing though, we tend to take my husband's Toyota Highlander.

After having my Jeep Wrangler through a winter I am even more in love than when I got it. I love being so high up and having the 30" of clearance, it helps a lot. Around town I feel like I have a machine, nothing it can't go over. However, one time we had the Jeep on a trip to New Hampshire and got caught in a bad snowstorm. We had to go very slow as the roads weren't plowed yet, the Jeep was just very squirmy being so high up and the roads so bad and it was just a very long trip. When we are going on a longer trip to Vermont, New Hampshire, etc and there is a chance of a snowstorm we after this ended up taking DH's Nissan Rogue as its built on a car frame, have a lower center of gravity and seem to be able to go a little faster.

My Jeep tires are pretty shot so that might have played a part in the long trip woes in the Jeep. I am getting new Wrangler Duratrac tires next month that are supposed to be excellent in the snow so I am curious how this changes things on a long road trip.

At this point I can safely say that around town in the Jeep in the winter is the bomb, I feel like I can drive on and over anything. Looking forward to the improvement on all fronts with my new tires.

Jilly

Staff member
I don't drive in the winter without winter specific tires. Even though I have AWD. All season tires just don't cut it.

Unfortunately we don't have a garage so I can't get snow tires as we've no where to keep them in the off season. My Jeep with its stock tires on it just amazing on the roads. I take back roads through the hills of Easton/Weston to where I work in Wilton with major hills, dips and peaks and the Jeep does great.

Wrangler Duratracs seem like they will fit the bill. Another diva on here has them for winter and said they are great. It says the tire has earned the Mountain Snowflake symbol from the Rubber Manufacturers Association for its severe winter weather traction.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My RAV4 just rolled over 200K miles on Labor Day. It needs a little bit of work (tires, tie-rods, and a speed sensor that goes wonky when the temp drops below freezing), but still runs like a champ. One of these days, I want a Highlander.

Jilly

Staff member
Tire shops and car dealers are now storing tires. Don't know about fees to do this.

I will check into that. I will mention to DH about the tire tire storage also. When he had his audi he had a garage so he put snow tires on in the winter time and LOVED them.

I know there's nothing like snow tires but with my 4×4 jeep I really do get around town like a champ. I just throw it in 4 high or 4 low and the tires stick to the ground. I think if I add some snowflake rated tires like the Duratracs I should be set.

Last edited:

mustski

Angel Diva
We use all terrain Yokohama Geo Landers and they seem to work on everything. We have driven in more snow storms than I care to remember. I recall spinning out, and heading to the edge of cliff ,and all I had time to pray was "Please God" before DH had already steered into it, got a grip and was pulling back out onto the road. DH always insists on driving up to ski during big storms; I sleep to avoid the stress. He does know his tires though and we drive a Toyota Range Rover which is a full time 4WD. DH insists it's the best on the road.

We've driven in deep snow and on some serious ice on a very, twisty windy mountain road.

And these tires are good year round.

Yeah sleeping while DH drives is wise lol. I often close my eyes when I am a passenger in DH's Rogue, he just drives faster than I do.

I remember the fun front way up to big bear. I'd bring visitors up that way for fun and they didn't like it at all. I'd normally go up/down the desert or back way to avoid the crowds. A little longer but less people.

Back during my sports car days before I became a winter sports person I'd had many a spin out, no fun and often very scary. One day I got antsy to take my fiero out cause it was april and winter's over right. I was at work and a snowstorm started and I knew I was going to be sideways before I got home, sure enough. I was ok and thankfully everyone around me saw me because it was just a spin without a crash but boy was it scary.

The Yokohamas I had on my sebring were awesome. Not as good as the full time 4 wheel drive and good tires but I felt good driving around.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Things are a bit different here in that the snow level can be quite high so we tend to use chains on road tyres when necessary.There have been a few tragic accidents where people had mixed snow and regular tyres so there has been a call to ban snow tyres completely.If I lived closer to the mountains I would definitely think about snow tyres if only to avoid the sometimes horribly dirty task of fitting chains.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna