• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just finished Ravenbruck - Life and Death in Hitler's Concentration Camp for Women. The writing is easy to read, the subject matter absolutely not. I'm now going to be looking for another book by Sarah Helm called A Life In Secrets - Vera Atkins and the Missing Agents of WWII.
Did you read Death in Vienna by Daniel Silva? It was really good. And I was in Vienna before going skiing in Kitzbuehl and Portes du Soleil last winter....

Jenny

Angel Diva
Did you read Death in Vienna by Daniel Silva? It was really good. And I was in Vienna before going skiing in Kitzbuehl and Portes du Soleil last winter....
Doesn't sound familiar - I'll have to look for it. Thanks.

Just started Dead Wake, by Erik Larsen. About the Lusitania.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm reading Greg Iles, The Devik's Punchbowl, now....

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read The End of Snow by Prudy Grimes over the weekend. I've been on a cozy mystery kick for a couple years now. Between that, knowing the setting pretty well, and the coincidence of being the same age and profession as one of the dead people in the book, it was entertaining. Although, I'm not sure if the copy of the book I had was an early version or what because it had noticeable typos and explained that AT skis were "all-terrain" skis.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I read The End of Snow by Prudy Grimes over the weekend. I've been on a cozy mystery kick for a couple years now. Between that, knowing the setting pretty well, and the coincidence of being the same age and profession as one of the dead people in the book, it was entertaining. Although, I'm not sure if the copy of the book I had was an early version or what because it had noticeable typos and explained that AT skis were "all-terrain" skis.
Oh it sounds great. I'm going to download it!

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Orphan Tale....based on historical fact of a European Circus hiding Jews during WWII. Enjoyable and fast read. Read Larry King's book after hearing his podcast on Tim Ferriss. Universal laws; show interest, ask open ended questions and don't monopolize the conversation about yourself. Too many people I meet fail massively on at least one of those. Now this Badass book....laughing because I have NEVER had a lack of self confidence.IMG_20170824_112542852 (1)_resized.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170824_112542852 (1)_resized.jpg
    IMG_20170824_112542852 (1)_resized.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now this Badass book....laughing because I have NEVER had a lack of self confidence.

Have you read it yet? I read it a bit ago at someone's recommendation, but it wasn't my favorite. I think I had some idiosyncratic objections, though.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm reading Mississippi Solo a Memoir by Eddy L. Harris. It's relaxed, nothing too profound, about a man canoeing down the Mississippi from Minnesota to New Orleans. I have Finn and I Love Dick (both mentioned on this thread) loaded on my Kobo, but I got tired of I Love Dick and borrowed a book from my mom for summer reading.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It was a good read.... got a bit predictable but it was fun knowing the ski area and surrounding areas. Thanks for the recommendation.
Keep em coming divas!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've read all of the existing Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire) books several times now, and I listen to a bunch of podcasts about both the book world and the TV show. There's a ton of world building that I would never catch on my own, but which smart people have noticed and are established "canon." And there's been claim Winds of Winter comes out this year, although I somehow doubt it.

Anyway, I decided that with all this new knowledge in my head about the backstory, and having been tainted by the TV show characters and events, I would revisit all the books. But reading them again seemed like such a gargantuan task. So ... I've decided to listen to them on audiobook.

The first book is A Game of Thrones. It's 33 hours long. I'm on chapter 19 out of 72. And I forgot how heartbreaking it is, right from the start.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I've been decided what I want to read next.... I think I'm going to reread something from my collection. Anne of Green Gables perhaps.
Oh, I do that every so often, too. Makes me all warm and cozy.

Just saw another PBS version of it but I didn't like it as well as the one with Megan Follows and Colleen Dewhurst. This one had Martin Sheen as Matthew and I just couldn't buy it. Plus, it was really sort of mashed together vignettes from the book.

I also watched the Netflix series, Anne with an E, and liked it.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Game of Thrones: I listened to book 1 already, but have held back from purchasing the rest of the series on audiobook because I wasn't sure I wanted to listen to that particular narrator's voice for 4 more books. Re-reading "with eyeballs" seems gargantuan to me too. I gave away my books, so I don't have that option anyway.
:doh:
I need to subscribe to the fan podcasts. Binge Mode and Game of Owns seem to be 2 most popular. What say you on this topic, @bounceswoosh ? :smile: Maybe PM me, if you want, cuz I don't want to veer off topic.

Currently reading: Outlander on audio again, and book-in-hand, an Outlander offshoot Lord John and the Hand of Devils, and The Alzheimer's Antidote. Next time when it's time to choose, I'll check out some of the excellent recommendations in this thread.

socalgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I do that every so often, too. Makes me all warm and cozy.

Just saw another PBS version of it but I didn't like it as well as the one with Megan Follows and Colleen Dewhurst. This one had Martin Sheen as Matthew and I just couldn't buy it. Plus, it was really sort of mashed together vignettes from the book.

I also watched the Netflix series, Anne with an E, and liked it.
I'm waiting to watch the series until my DD is old enough enjoy it with me, after she either reads the series, or I read it to her.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Game of Thrones: I listened to book 1 already, but have held back from purchasing the rest of the series on audiobook because I wasn't sure I wanted to listen to that particular narrator's voice for 4 more books. Re-reading "with eyeballs" seems gargantuan to me too. I gave away my books, so I don't have that option anyway.
I need to subscribe to the fan podcasts. Binge Mode and Game of Owns seem to be 2 most popular. What say you on this topic, @bounceswoosh ? :smile: Maybe PM me, if you want, cuz I don't want to veer off topic.

FWIW, at least the last book is read by the guy who played Dany's brother in the first season, and everyone says he's pretty great. I'm also not a huge fan of this narrator in the first book, but it's worth it. I would never want to "read" them the first time via audio, but for my ... fourth? ... read, audio is plenty as a refresher.

I'll PM you about podcasts!

kiki

Angel Diva

Currently reading: Outlander on audio again, and book-in-hand, an Outlander offshoot Lord John and the Hand of Devils, and The Alzheimer's Antidote. Next time when it's time to choose, I'll check out some of the excellent recommendations in this thread.
I like audiobooks but only when there is a good reader!
Have you listened to Dune? Fabulous narrator amd lent itself well be listened to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga