• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What are ski divas reading?

Me: Book 4 of the Outlander series, audio format. These days I read/listen to audio books on my commute more so than an actual book (or Kindle). I use Goodreads to track my reading.

MissySki

Angel Diva

Me: Book 4 of the Outlander series, audio format. These days I read/listen to audio books on my commute more so than an actual book (or Kindle). I use Goodreads to track my reading.

I've read the first 2 Outlander books. They are so long that I then went off to other titles on my to be read list. Now that the television show is back it's making me want to get back into the series soon though!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Right now I'm reading The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko, which Outside Magazine cited as one of the best outdoor books of the year. It's non-fiction, and it's about the fastest boat ride down the Grand Canyon ever, during the flood of 1983. But there's more in it than just a boat ride. There's lots of stuff about the building of dams, environmental battles, water rights, the history of the Grand Canyon and the Colorado River. I'm about a third of the way in and really enjoying it.

alicie

Angel Diva
I have just finished the Lewis trilogy by Peter May. It's a series of murder mystery type things based on the Isle of Lewis.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Ski Diva, that sounds terrific. Mr. Geargrrl loves that kind of stuff.

Me, just finishing a re read of the whole Kushiel sequence, 2-triologies, by Jacqueline Carey.

I lasted about 3.5 book with Outlander. I couldn't take any more after that. Too bad the Starz adaptation is so boring and slow. Scottish eye candy doesn't make up for being a snooze fest.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in the middle of a few now on my Kindle (I usually would only read one at a time but I've found that I dabble a lot more on my kindle).
Moonheart by Charles DeLint because I love him and I needed some whimsy
Bear in the Back Seat: Adventures of a Wildlife Ranger because I thought it looked good but it's really poorly edited and it makes me sad
The Original Folk & Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm which is taking me a while because they are supposedly the original versions which didn't make a lot of sense and are a bit weird, so I can only read one at a time.

I just finished The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Phillip Sendker which was cute but a little saccharine for me

alicie

Angel Diva
Oh and I'm about half way through @ski diva s first book. It's very good so far, I'm on chapter 21, it's currently my plane book, I don't think I've done too badly getting that far in an hour and a half. I really want to know what happens but I have no time to read at the moment. The Lewis trilogy books I read over about two days, I was reading till 6 am one morning. I either don't read for ages or read 3-4 books back to back in a weekend.

mustski

Angel Diva
I actually just finished The Outlander series - or at least as far as she has written so far ... I am also currently working my way through a teen series - Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials .. and I'm about to start the 3rd (the title escapes me right now). If you have teens, it's a great series. I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I didn't buy the last one as I was so frustrated with number 7. Be forewarned. She was either really rushed and her publisher told her just get something done or she lost interest. Didn't buy number 8.

I've been working my way through all Dorothy Dunnett's historical novels, based on a recommendation from a guy on Epic. Finished the Lymond series (6), now half way through House of Niccolo (8).

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right now, I'm reading:

Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder
by Arianna Huffington
and

Skiing Into Modernity by Andrew Denning

I recently finished:
The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics

by Daniel James Brown

I coxed and coached rowing at a pretty competitive level for 10 years, so Boys in the Boat was a fun read.

Jilly

Staff member
Since I read or write mostly technical stuff at work, I read beach fluff for pleasure. Occasionally I pick up an autobiography or something like the quest book that Pequenita mentioned. I did like Kim Kirchers " the next 15 minutes".

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I liked Kim's book a lot too! Love this thread, by the way--thanks @ski diva !

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also liked "The next 15 minutes." In fact, I'm now facebook friends with Kim Kircher through that book, sort of ... that and her podcast she seems to have dropped =/

Oh, man, I read a lot. I'm more or less continuously reading several monthly short story magazines, plus audio fiction on podcasts, plus a few books and audiobooks ...

Right now I'm reading Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip on my Kindle. I'm extremely picky about writing quality, and she definitely passes with flying colors. I think it's probably a YA fantasy, with some younger protagonists. So far I am enjoying it, a little over half way through.

I've also been listening to the audiobook "Monstrous Affections: An Anthology of Beastly Tales" - oh, @Kimmyt , if you liked that wolf girl story collection thing, you might like this one. Also high marks for writing quality here. Weird fantastical stories. This is also labeled YA, but goes to some pretty dark places. Which isn't actually unusual for YA, I gather.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Just listened to several while on our trip:

Michael Crichton/Richard Preston - Micro. OK, not great, but entertaining enough to keep my mind off how much longer we had to go.

Janet Evanovich - Numbers 14 and 15 of the Stephanie Plum series. I've never read one of these, but we save them to listen to in the car because they're relatively short compared to some of the others. They've always been enjoyable to listen to.

Phil Hogan - A Pleasure and A Calling - sounded creepier than it turned out to be, I think. Not that it wasn't creepy, don't get me wrong, it just wasn't as grippingly suspenseful as I expected from the description.

One we didn't get to so I've requested the book - hoping it's a little like Charles DeLint (@Kimmyt - I like him a lot, too.) Keith Donohue - The Stolen Child. It involves changelings.

Also requested Agent Zigzag, about a British double agent in WWII.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965