• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

kiki

Angel Diva
I put together a Pinterest page for my HS students, who generally tell me that don't read for pleasure much. In an effort to encourage them and point them to things they might enjoy, I have a work-in-progress list for them. Many of the individual books are there to introduce them to an author's entire body of work (Vonnegut, etc.) and there's quite a bit of non-fiction in there as well, though mostly outdoor/adventure oriented. Come to think of it today would be a good day to update that some. Anyway, if any divas have a Pinterest account and are interested, here it is

EDIT: If you have any suggestions for the students, please pass them along!
Maybe not for your average student, but two of my favorite books the past 10 yrs were:

- walt disney by Neal Gabler
->fascinating account of the early 1900's, the failures amd successes of a young man with dreams, and the history of disney.

- lords of finance by liaquat Ahamed
-> interesting account in particular for history and economics students of the role of the central bankers through the world wars. The influence of money and monetary policy on world affairs.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm reading American Fire by Monica Hesse. It's a non-fiction account of a series of arsons in the Eastern Shore of Virginia in 2012. The book was a NY Times Notable Book of the Year, and one of NPR's Best Books of 2017. It's about how the arsonist got caught, why he did it, the effect of the fires on the community, and the workings of a rural fire department. I'm really enjoying it so far.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am reading and enjoying How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life, by Scott Adams, the guy who created the Dilbert comic strip.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I'm nearing the end of Red Mars and I'm really enjoying it. I usually don't get into sci-fi, but this is a pretty sweeping story (covers the early years of Mars colonization over 40+ years) and it's really more about the people + society than the technologies involved.

I'd love more recommendations for sci-fi books that are really about people if anyone's got some. :smile:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Rachel, I am a BIG fan of Kim Stanley Robinson. I would recommend finishing the trilogy. If you want something a little different, New York 2140 is a really nice stand-alone. The Science in the Capital is good but a little strange at time.

For humanity based sci-fi, CJ Cherryh's Foreigner Series is very enjoyable.
Joan Vinge Snow Queen/Summer Queen sequence (an oldie but goodie)

My problem with the Ender series is that I found out that Orson Scott Wells is ultra, ultra to the right with some politics that are really unpalatable to my point of view.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am reading and enjoying How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life, by Scott Adams, the guy who created the Dilbert comic strip.
His interview on the Tim Ferriss show was my first podcast. I like his visualization/affirmation.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm nearing the end of Red Mars and I'm really enjoying it. I usually don't get into sci-fi, but this is a pretty sweeping story (covers the early years of Mars colonization over 40+ years) and it's really more about the people + society than the technologies involved.

I'd love more recommendations for sci-fi books that are really about people if anyone's got some. :smile:

I’m not a sci-if fan, but I loved the entire “Mars” series.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After listening to his interview podcast (again on TF), I am going to make 2018 the year of biographies and start off with Walter Isaacson's Genius trilogy: Leonardo DaVinci, Benjamin Franklin and Steve Jobs. Looking forward to it.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump: Thought I'd bump this up, since I'm looking for something new to read. I just finished The Goldfinch, which I did not love.

But here's a book I read recently and really enjoyed: American Kingpin, about the young man who started the Silk Road, a website on the dark web where you could buy drugs, weapons, even body parts! It's non-fiction, and it covers how and why he got it started and how he was ultimately caught by the FBI and the IRS. Riveting!

newboots

Angel Diva
The Kingpin sounds better than The Goldfinch. While the latter had some very good reviews and a close friend gave it to me for my birthday, I really disliked it. It was engaging - I read to the end - but so depressing and awful.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh my, I'm embarrassed at how long it's been since I had time to read. New Yorkers are piled on the coffee table inducing guilt while grading screams for attention.

If I haven't already recommended it Where'd you Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple is hilarious.
The Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr is great--light mysteries that all take place rom the POV of a female national park ranger who works at a different park in almost every book.
Also, if you like academic humor, my all-time favorite novel is Straight Man by Richard Russo.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oh my, I'm embarrassed at how long it's been since I had time to read. New Yorkers are piled on the coffee table inducing guilt while grading screams for attention.

If I haven't already recommended it Where'd you Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple is hilarious.
The Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr is great--light mysteries that all take place rom the POV of a female national park ranger who works at a different park in almost every book.
Also, if you like academic humor, my all-time favorite novel is Straight Man by Richard Russo.

Huh, I didn't enjoy Bernadette. I dislike books where the main character is "quirky." However, based on your recommendation, I just took The Great Influenza out of the library.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Huh, I didn't enjoy Bernadette. I dislike books where the main character is "quirky." However, based on your recommendation, I just took The Great Influenza out of the library.

Oh, no, sorry to have steered you wrong! Book recommendations are so personal; I have a few on my shelf that were recommended and just didn't click for me. Influenza is a totally different book from Semple's of course; I hope you enjoy it!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Huh, I didn't enjoy Bernadette. I dislike books where the main character is "quirky."

I don’t usually go for quirky either, but I loved “A Man Called Ove” and also “Mr. Penumbra’s 24 Hour Bookstore.”

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Another good book I read lately: Nothing To Envy. Again, nonfiction, and about what life is like for ordinary people in current day North Korea.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I highly recommend Nigerian author Chimimanda Ngozi Adiche. I recently read "Americanah" and loved it. She also wrote "Half of a yellow sun", which I have on reserve from the library. Also loved Ann Patchett's "Commonwealth" - and, actually, everything she has written. I might have mentioned these before, but also "Swing Time" by Zadie Smith.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna