• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dune was my first purchase on Audible. It was great; I should listen to it again.
Sometimes a narrator strikes me as irritating but then grows on me. Ender's Game was like that, great on audio.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished reading Trevor Noah's book, Born a Crime. It's a memoir on what it was like to grow up at the end of apartheid in South Africa, and really quite good.

Now I'm reading My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier, and I'm enjoying that, too.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I just read Turtles All the Way Down, which is a book for teenagers, but if you like John Green this is another great book. Plus you can read the whole thing in like 2 hours! :smile:

Currently in the middle of Adrift, which is a great story. I'm only about 15 days in to him being on the raft and things are already pretty grim.

Christy

Angel Diva
I just finished Elena Ferrante's 4 Neapolitan novels. Wow!! I haven't gone back through this thread to see if they've already been discussed, but I was blown away. HBO is going to make this into a series, and they are going authentic--they just had a casting call that drew 5000 kids in Naples to find kids that speak the Neapolitan dialect. The show will have English subtitles. I cannot wait.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm reading John Lescroset Treasure Hunt.. liking his books as take place in San Francisco where I grew up.
Just finished Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown. If you like Gone Girl you'll like this one.

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm reading some mystery novels by Gyles Brandreth, who invents mysteries in which the mysteries involve, and are solved by, Oscar Wilde. The historic context, Wilde's flamboyant behavior, and a good twisty-turny mystery - they are a great read! I'm on my third.

Last edited:

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm about to finish Colleen McCullough's novel "Bittersweet". I'm enjoying it, and the cat is, too. He's chewed the bajeepers out of the front cover.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Just reread Ann Patchett's new book, "Commonwealth," for book group. It jumps around a bit in time and takes a little effort to keep track of people and events, but is excellent. I often find a reread of that type of book very rewarding. Same was true for "Swing Time" by Zadie Smith. Another good one - and even better the second time around. (I'm a bit horrified at how much I often do not remember about a book I read not all that long ago!)

Christy

Angel Diva
Just reread Ann Patchett's new book, "Commonwealth," for book group. It jumps around a bit in time and takes a little effort to keep track of people and events, but is excellent. I often find a reread of that type of book very rewarding. Same was true for "Swing Time" by Zadie Smith. Another good one - and even better the second time around. (I'm a bit horrified at how much I often do not remember about a book I read not all that long ago!)

Have you read other Ann Patchett, like Bel Canto? It might've been the most beautiful book I've ever read. I actually just pick it up to read again. I also highly recommend The Magician's Assistant ( again, there were parts so beautiful they made me cry) and The Patron Saint of Liars.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Have you read other Ann Patchett, like Bel Canto? It might've been the most beautiful book I've ever read. I actually just pick it up to read again. I also highly recommend The Magician's Assistant ( again, there were parts so beautiful they made me cry) and The Patron Saint of Liars.

Yes, I read Bel Canto and would like to reread. Also, State of Wonder - another good one. I think she's a wonderful author. I read a non-fiction one as well but can't recall the title. (So much to read... not enough time...)

Christy

Angel Diva
Yes, I read Bel Canto and would like to reread. Also, State of Wonder - another good one. I think she's a wonderful author. I read a non-fiction one as well but can't recall the title. (So much to read... not enough time...)

State of Wonder is waiting for me at the library right now. I think it's the last one of hers I have to go, except for her friendship memoir. I did read the collection of essays that described the huge, ridiculous brouhaha over that memoir...

kiki

Angel Diva
Looking for some book recommendations - my annual audible membership date is coming up and i have too many unused credits (too much time golfing this year?). I like business bios and sci-fi fiction and avoid stuff that will make me cry ;-). But I'm open minded to anything!

Recommendations?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's about the be the centenary of the 1918 fu epidemic, and I highly recommend The Great Influenza by John M. Barry. It's a lively and very informative read, and he delves into the history of the medical profession in America in the 20th century which is shocking to say the least. A Fascinating read.

I put together a Pinterest page for my HS students, who generally tell me that don't read for pleasure much. In an effort to encourage them and point them to things they might enjoy, I have a work-in-progress list for them. Many of the individual books are there to introduce them to an author's entire body of work (Vonnegut, etc.) and there's quite a bit of non-fiction in there as well, though mostly outdoor/adventure oriented. Come to think of it today would be a good day to update that some. Anyway, if any divas have a Pinterest account and are interested, here it is:

https://www.pinterest.com/historychris/vacation-reading/

EDIT: If you have any suggestions for the students, please pass them along!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
A friend recommended The Great Influenza, but I haven't read it yet. He recommended it because I enjoyed The Ghost Map so much. That one is about cholera. Really interesting.

I have high schoolers who are avid readers. They'd recommend John Green, and if it's not to controversial, George RR Martin. There was mention of The Book Thief, which was excellent, but I actually enjoyed another Zusak book - I am the Messenger- even more. I'm not a huge YA fan now, but my daughter is, and she's always pushing books into my hands. A few have stood out - The Fault in Our Stars (HATED the movie), Perks of Being a Wallflower, and a few others. YA is so much better now; I wish I could have had such a great selection when I was a kid!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna